PDA

View Full Version : The best notebook RoG has to offer for Game Devs?

Lugh Azreak
06-26-2012, 03:56 PM
I've already purchased the RoG Rampage IV Extreme MoBo and a GPU to match. It's powerful and I'm proud of RoG, I want to supply my entire team with laptops of similar quality. I've seen the new G75VW and it looks like a beast, but is it the best choice for game development? I'm hoping to find a Wacom embedded in the machine if that's possible. What I'm looking for is a notebook that displays true colors on the screen, High-def and a powerful trio of CPU, GPU and RAM. It'll be all about processing raw 3d graphics. 64-bit OS is important, and the machine needs to have a decent battery life, but it's not ok to sacrifice any computing power for longer life. And of course, the machine has to look like a boss, not just a rectangular beast disguised as a normal notebook. :cool: So... is the G75VW the one for me?

john_from_ohio
06-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Sounds like you want the high end mac book pro with a retina display ... 768 gb ssd ... and 16 gb ram 650M for just under 4 k a pop?

Lugh Azreak
06-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Sure, if my software worked in a mac that'd be the one I'd take. But I'm never used a mac and don't have a clue how they even work.

john_from_ohio
06-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Sure, if my software worked in a mac that'd be the one I'd take. But I'm never used a mac and don't have a clue how they even work.

Parallels 7 for Mac runs Win 7 environments in a mac ... nice ... but hey I was just kidding the G75VW is an absolute beast but if you really need to upgrade RAM all the way up to 32 gb that involves accessing the top layer under the keyboard and is not easy to do.

Liquidus
06-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Why mac? Hardware is weaker.. you're basically paying 2 grand alone just for the logo and a few more pixels.

Brian_ROG
06-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Why mac? Hardware is weaker.. you're basically paying 2 grand alone just for the logo and a few more pixels.

Ha, made me laugh, LOL! Anyway I do have an iphone 4S, but that's pretty much all I'm buying from apple. I know nothing about game development, only how to play games. So I'm not sure about what you need, but i will tell you that the G75 is a beast, and looks like one too!

john_from_ohio
06-26-2012, 10:45 PM
you're basically paying 2 grand alone just for the logo and a few more pixels.

Umm well I was mostly kidding ... but if you have not checked out specs for new top of the line mac book pro ... resolution is 2880 x 1800 ... which is incredibly 2.5 times as many pixels as our 1080p displays have ... thats a whole bunch of pixels!

chrsplmr
06-27-2012, 12:04 AM
The games are developed for which format though? And there is a Huge Price difference..
apples And Oranges ... The G is the better buy.. in my .. just passing through .. opinion.c.

Liquidus
06-27-2012, 12:36 AM
Umm well I was mostly kidding ... but if you have not checked out specs for new top of the line mac book pro ... resolution is 2880 x 1800 ... which is incredibly 2.5 times as many pixels as our 1080p displays have ... thats a whole bunch of pixels!

sure, but it's mostly a gimmic. there are no native apps that support that resolution, and there isn't a strong GPU to match those pixels for the 3D apps that can be scaled to that resolution. Again, it's all marketing. Something to boast about. Just like Steve's precious Siri.

Lugh Azreak
06-27-2012, 01:09 AM
... I'm not sure how apples work but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Iphone and not the Mac book Pro.

Liquidus
06-27-2012, 01:23 AM
... I'm not sure how apples work but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Iphone and not the Mac book Pro. No, I'm talking about the latest Retina Macbook Pro. I'm saying it has a high resolution display, but doesn't have a good graphics card to back it.

Going back to your original post, the G75 (or really any gaming notebook) is a good choice due to its processor combined with a better graphics card, upgradable RAM and hdd space.

Liquidus
06-27-2012, 01:27 AM
edit:repost

Zygomorphic
06-27-2012, 02:05 AM
I've already purchased the RoG Rampage IV Extreme MoBo and a GPU to match. It's powerful and I'm proud of RoG, I want to supply my entire team with laptops of similar quality. I've seen the new G75VW and it looks like a beast, but is it the best choice for game development? I'm hoping to find a Wacom embedded in the machine if that's possible. What I'm looking for is a notebook that displays true colors on the screen, High-def and a powerful trio of CPU, GPU and RAM. It'll be all about processing raw 3d graphics. 64-bit OS is important, and the machine needs to have a decent battery life, but it's not ok to sacrifice any computing power for longer life. And of course, the machine has to look like a boss, not just a rectangular beast disguised as a normal notebook. :cool: So... is the G75VW the one for me?

Definitely! There is nothing like them...except possibly the G55...but not the macbook pro. The G75 is very, very fast. The battery life is not that great, but then again, what gaming computer is? Except the m11x, but that CPU is pretty pokey. Run fruit hard, and it scorches...run ROG hard, it stays cool. Don't try: "take a little apple'in and call me in the morning." ;)

Lugh Azreak
06-27-2012, 03:44 AM
Okay so I've decided on the G75. But where should I buy it? A simple google search gives me a very wide range in prices.

ChoaticRobotic
06-27-2012, 04:25 AM
I just bought my G75 from XoticPC. They offer customization and had great prices.

Zygomorphic
06-27-2012, 10:09 AM
The 'egg is always a good place to look. They often have pretty good deals. Amazon can also be a great place. Most of the brick-and-mortar retailers have higher prices and limit the number you can buy. Then again, how many guys buy half a dozen of the same type of computer? ;)

john_from_ohio
06-27-2012, 10:26 AM
No, I'm talking about the latest Retina Macbook Pro. I'm saying it has a high resolution display, but doesn't have a good graphics card to back it.

Well it has the 650M with 1 gb of RAM which for developers should work pretty good ... and 756 gb of ssd ( who would not want that ? ) ... and you can run it dual boot directly into win 7 or thru parallels.

Don't get me wrong my G75VW is an absolute beast ... but I want one of the new macbook pros also.

On the other hand my 2011 mac book air 13 has not been turned on for almost 3 weeks ...

Holy
06-27-2012, 11:41 AM
i can vouch for xoticpc also

skyship
06-27-2012, 12:04 PM
If you are doing a ton of 3D modeling, wouldn't a rig fitted with graphic cards thats optimized for CAD work be more optimal? I would look at mobile workstations made by dell, lenovo, or other brands that are fitted with quadro cards. RoG laptops, while nice, are for gaming, not necessarily game dev.

chrsplmr
06-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Quadros may do Cad, for the sake of argument, 60% faster rendering .. but not much else. And Dollar for Dollar ?
The G75 Wins .. as far as I see.c.

kiba
06-27-2012, 05:28 PM
i read on a review for the new macbook pro that took the thing apart that considered it the least upgradeable and least repairable notebook evar. the ram is soldered in to the mobo (and of course theres no extra ram slots), the ssd cannot be removed, battery is glued into the case, display is fused and theres no glass covering it (sucks if you drop something in there), and needless to say there is no panel for upgrades, and you even need a special screwdriver to take it apart. just like on the old macbook there are no vents, it sucks air in through usb/sd card holes, and squeezes it out through a paper-thin slot in the back thats about 2 inches long and gets covered up by the screen when its open. the cpu and gpu share one small fan, and the thing gets up to 90 degrees celcius, while watching youtube, not gaming. since overheating was an issue with the old macbook pro i would've thought they would fix this issue. i wouldnt suggest this notebook to anyone least of all a game dev. bad design.

john_from_ohio
06-27-2012, 06:20 PM
i wouldnt suggest this notebook to anyone least of all a game dev.

I still want one! The display is shockingly beautiful ... apple quality control in manufacturing ( or subcontracting it at least ) is world class.

Think of the G75VW as a Ford Mustang ( fast, powerful, good looking, a little on the large side ) and the top of the line mac book pro retina as as a high end Porsche.

Nothing wrong with speeding around in a hotrod Mustang ... but ... some of us want to have several choices in laptops ... simultaneously.

kiba
06-27-2012, 11:41 PM
I still want one! The display is shockingly beautiful ... apple quality control in manufacturing ( or subcontracting it at least ) is world class.

Think of the G75VW as a Ford Mustang ( fast, powerful, good looking, a little on the large side ) and the top of the line mac book pro retina as as a high end Porsche.

Nothing wrong with speeding around in a hotrod Mustang ... but ... some of us want to have several choices in laptops ... simultaneously.
i know what you mean, but 90 degrees while watching a youtube vid, thats more like an old volkswagen than a porsche. theres no way youre gaming on that thing with those temps. i mean, you could use it for browsing i guess, but if it overheats like that on youtube, i doubt it could handle any decent software (photoshop, fireworks, flash... etc).

i was thinking the same thing, but then researched it, and also my gf hates apple. so we threw that money into the desktop and i gotta say, theres no way i would be as happy w/ a macbook. i do that sometimes, i go "oooo shiny" and spend money for no reason and regret it later, im glad tho she was there to convince me otherwise because it probably would have just been a dust collector.

also, i could be wrong, but im pretty sure turbo boost has some serious problems if you dual boot windows, they might have fixed it, but it used to be so bad that you could get more out of an i5 than an i7. my buddy has an older one and thats where i got the whole "3rd degree burns on your crotch thing" (it gets really hot)

anyways... dont get me wrong, i think theyre extremely sexy to look at, which, after i thought about it is the only real reason i wanted it (my upgraded g75 has better specs/design and my desktop could eat it for breakfast). but, the reason i posted this info is because i think its something people deserve to know if theyre planning on buying one. (apple does a good job of hiding their flaws)

Lugh Azreak
06-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Getting a bit off topic I think. Not interested in apple OS. I'll give Xotic PC a good look and I'll probably order from them. No I'm not ordering a Quadro because my team won't be doing the hard rendering, that's what Zeus is for and Zeus will be the only one with a quadro

kiba
06-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Getting a bit off topic I think. Not interested in apple OS. I'll give Xotic PC a good look and I'll probably order from them. No I'm not ordering a Quadro because my team won't be doing the hard rendering, that's what Zeus is for and Zeus will be the only one with a quadro

i would have chimed in but i figured they already answered your question.

IMO the best laptops for what youre looking for are(priced low to high): asus G75, Falcon NW DRX, and Alienware M18x, stay away from msi and sager ive had bad experiences w/ them, they are garbage. the good thing about alienware and falcon nw, although theyre overpriced, is they offer dual GPU's (SLI/Crossfire).

btw... what's zeus? (i know i played god of war)

chrsplmr
06-28-2012, 12:06 PM
johnFROMohio... mac is a porsche ? the G is a 'ford' ... hahhahahhaa ... with all due respect my brother ..
I must disagree ... hahhaha ... The G is a ViperR ... at the very least a Shelby .. the porsche ?? GrillFood... as is the mac.. imho..hehe.c.

Lugh Azreak
06-28-2012, 12:25 PM
i would have chimed in but i figured they already answered your question.

IMO the best laptops for what youre looking for are(priced low to high): asus G75, Falcon NW DRX, and Alienware M18x, stay away from msi and sager ive had bad experiences w/ them, they are garbage. the good thing about alienware and falcon nw, although theyre overpriced, is they offer dual GPU's (SLI/Crossfire).

btw... what's zeus? (i know i played god of war)

Zeus is the most powerful supercomputer in the middle east, not that the competition is exactly viscious. It's just a collection of the best hardware money can buy each month, keeping up with gaming because that's what my company does. These G75s are just pawns for my team and I to use when we are traveling, since we live all over the globe

Lugh Azreak
06-28-2012, 12:57 PM
And with that said I think someone should mark this topic as closed and concluded. I've already asked our team to begin custom designs for the LCD skins.

chrsplmr
06-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Awesome..Best of Luck LA.c.

HulkSmash
01-25-2013, 05:13 AM
I just saw this thread, and sorry I can't see someone compare a mac to porsche....I'd say macs are more like a VW Sirroco diesel, looks fast and nice....but the truth is that it just makes more noise, and you'll cruising (in this case, surfing the web) at the end of the day...

Tomislav
01-25-2013, 07:55 AM
bottom line is this, and I've been already writing about this : for Adobe designer apps (InDesign,Photoshop,Illustrator,Acrobat Pro) you need lots of RAM,good CPU, and preferably an nVidia GPU (because of the CUDA technology) Quadro would be great but forget about gaming then and you might be on a wrong site because you need a work station, Same goes for the Autodesk CAD apps and 3D apps (Maya,3D Max, AutoCAD,Revit). The only 3D app that can benefit froma gaming GPU is Lumion 3D (check it out) because it works more like a game engine. Furthermore the "beloved" Retina display in MacBook Pro has a mediocre IPS panel ( check prad.de for monitor reviews) and not as wide gamut of colors. G 75vx for example has the same proc, a lot better GPU (it's a GTX for crying out loud) and more upgrade options. So bottom line is, G75 is a lot cheaper than Mac and if you have a budeget of 4k just buy the best version there is, buy another large SSD to go with it set it up in RAID 0 for fastest performance and buy a external monitor because the screen on the G will not give you what you need in the terms of color consistency/calibration (but remember it is a gaming notebook). As far as monitors go you could chose ASUS very own PA series (pro art) that is around 350$-550$ depending on the size or Dell Ultrasharp (for example u2412). And you'll have a great mobile workstation/gaming setup. Hope this helps, it is based on a lot of research and experience.