PDA

View Full Version : Asus G55 Bloatware?

BlackLotus
06-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Hello, I just received my Asus G55 in the mail and I'm rather pleased with it. Can anyone help me by providing a list of bloatware that isn't needed? I don't really want to do a factory restore.. thanks!

equilerex
06-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Pretty much all of it is bloatware.. i tried to clean it but in the end it just started getting blue screen of death and other troubles... just installed a new clean copy of windows and no problems anymore :o

john_from_ohio
06-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Hello, I just received my Asus G55 in the mail and I'm rather pleased with it. Can anyone help me by providing a list of bloatware that isn't needed? I don't really want to do a factory restore.. thanks!

Everyone has their own opinions here ...

Personally I saw immediately uninstall Asus Live Update before it does mess you up. ( See my thread first things to do topic ... ).

If you have mcaffee ... ditch it and get something else immediately.

I am living with everything else from Asus on my new G75VW ... just fine ... may not use some of the stuff ( often or in some cases ever ) .

Well I guess I also ditched bing and/or bing toolbar ... anyhow I think the list of things to ditch immediately for G55/G75 systems is very small.

Read my posting though about first things to do ... and make recovery DVDs after updating to most recent version of Asus Recovery Utility.

BlackLotus
06-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Thanks ! Asus live update was the first thing I trashed.

Rogstalker
06-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Vibe is a musicplayer, can be removed if You dont use it.
McAffee I removed because it interrupted my playing. An antivirus that starts a full scan while Im playing is ditched straight away...
Wireless consol (or something) can be removed if You dont think You have a need to use the fastkeys to shift between bluetooth and wireless network. Bluetooth is still there if You need it.
Live update is risky to have on automatic updates. I dont like something that can start a biosflash. And I see no reason to have it running in the systemtray. Put it on manual check and take it away from autostart or uninstall it.
Free version of Microsoft Office: If You dont have plans on buying it remove it. It stops working anyway after the trial goes out. Install Open Office or something thats free.
Splendid Utility is useless I think. See no need for it at all.

Rest of them I havent bothered with yet. If they are running on autostart, try disable and see what happens.

dstrakele
06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Pretty much all of it is bloatware.. i tried to clean it but in the end it just started getting blue screen of death and other troubles... just installed a new clean copy of windows and no problems anymore :o

+1 @equilerex - the ASUS ATK Package for the function keys is all you need. Since UNinstallation of some bloatware apps has caused problems, the clean Windows installation is the way to best eliminate bloatware. You can always install the ASUS apps you like.

Remember the Brody Stability Principle. It states, "The stability of a given system is inversely proportional to the number of ASUS Bloatware applications installed." This includes ASUS applications that have been removed.