PDA

View Full Version : G74 Heatsink Material

Boosted_R
06-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Warranty up soon and looking to change TIM to Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra. From the pic's I have seen from above the heatsink looks like copper, but wanting to verify the bottom part with interfaces with the GPU and CPU is copper.

For those who don't know Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra breaks down aluminum, so the heat sink needs to be copper/nickel plated.

Thanks

xeromist
06-27-2012, 11:39 PM
I would bet money that it is copper but I've never seen it. Nobody makes heat sink cores out of aluminum anymore because it just doesn't work as well. You might see aluminum fins on stuff but the slug or mating surface is always copper.

scuk1nho
06-28-2012, 06:29 PM
My G74SX is for 100% sure copper plated.

JamesNgkk
06-26-2013, 07:44 PM
1.) I know Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra is conductive so did you have any problems with your laptop after you used it?

2.) I intend to use Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra on both my CPU and GPU. I've heard that Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra breaks down aluminium so i'm worried that it will eat into the heatsick. From what i know, The CPU part of the heat sink is a full copper surface so that wont be too much of an issue but the GPU part actually has what i assume as aluminium parts surrounding the square copper. Will the Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra eat into the aluminium?

3.) I've read somewhere that after some time, Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra will form an alloy sticking the heat sink to the cpu/gpu die making it hard to remove. Is that true?

I'll be glad with any response or help you can give me. Thank you so much for your time.

Regards,
James