PDA

View Full Version : G74SX - ThrottleStop 4.10: Best Settings?

AdelaisAer
06-28-2012, 12:49 AM
Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't been active on the forums lately. Been cought up with things.

But I have a question, I got TS4.10 (apparently this version "fixes" some things and improves others). I was wondering what the best settings would be to use? Because I honestly don't know how to do these things manually. Right now I am just running it as it is.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, FIreFox seems to be lagging a lot lately for some reason. Iunno why. The G74SX is extremely powerful, so I honestly don't see a reason why I even have any lag at all whatsoever.

scuk1nho
06-28-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm using this: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/137/ts410.jpg/
I really don't think you can choose "best" options. Just disable DB Prochot, set multiplier to Turbo and you are ready to go.

AdelaisAer
06-28-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm using this: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/137/ts410.jpg/
I really don't think you can choose "best" options. Just disable DB Prochot, set multiplier to Turbo and you are ready to go.

Few questions:

-What does "Quality" do exactly?
-For the main window, I didn't have Clock Modulation and all that stuff ticked on, because I wasn't sure what they did exactly - does turning them on boost the performance by a lot?

scuk1nho
06-28-2012, 06:43 PM
The modulation is forcing motherboard to work in 100% state. You dont have to check these 2 because your mobo should work in 100% all time without forcing. Any lesser numbers than 100% = throttling. I was checking Logs and with or without modulation I had always 100%. Check if your Clock/chip modulations are in 100% all time and you dont have to check these 2.

AdelaisAer
06-28-2012, 06:47 PM
The modulation is forcing motherboard to work in 100% state. You dont have to check these 2 because your mobo should work in 100% all time without forcing. Any lesser numbers than 100% = throttling. I was checking Logs and with or without modulation I had always 100%. Check if your Clock/chip modulations are in 100% all time and you dont have to check these 2.

Oh, I see. Well, supposedly, games like GTA4 and Civilization V cause a lot of throttling; even with TS, they cause a little bit, so maybe when I play Civ V, I can try to force the modulation just in case.

What about "Set Multiplier: Turbo"?

Also, my current settings after reading your posts:

scuk1nho
06-28-2012, 07:03 PM
You should also set PowerSaver in options to 0. This will not help you at all. With Set Multiplier option you are telling your CPU his maximal state. So if you choose Turbo, you are allowing your CPU use Turbo boost to maximum. Any lesser number will cause lower frequency. In this case 30 = 3,0 GHz / 28 = 2,8GHz ... You are not forcing CPU to work in Turbo all time only allowing CPU that he can use Turbo boost. And if you will use for example 28 then in Turbo mode his maximal frequency will be 2,8 GHz instead of 3,1 GHz.

scuk1nho
06-28-2012, 07:15 PM
If you wanna be 100% sure you are not throttling then enable Log file, play something for a while and then check FID in your log (it's in your TS directory). Then you can compare ingame FID and idle FID. If your ingame FID dops to or below numbers when is your laptop in idle it means your CPU is throttling. Also dont forget to enable TS ^^

AdelaisAer
06-28-2012, 07:16 PM
You should also set PowerSaver in options to 0. This will not help you at all. With Set Multiplier option you are telling your CPU his maximal state. So if you choose Turbo, you are allowing your CPU use Turbo boost to maximum. Any lesser number will cause lower frequency. In this case 30 = 3,0 GHz / 28 = 2,8GHz ... You are not forcing CPU to work in Turbo all time only allowing CPU that he can use Turbo boost. And if you will use for example 28 then in Turbo mode his maximal frequency will be 2,8 GHz instead of 3,1 GHz.

Oh, I see. Then, are my current settings optimal? (I turned the first two modulation things off; will turn them on if I need to).

EDIT: Also, I always enable TS before I play any games. xD It has become almost like a ritual in my life.

scuk1nho
06-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Oh, I see. Then, are my current settings optimal? (I turned the first two modulation things off; will turn them on if I need to).

EDIT: Also, I always enable TS before I play any games. xD It has become almost like a ritual in my life.

Yes, I think so. If you want to be sure simply check Log and numbers under MULTI. Weird sudden changes in values = throttling. (For example: 28, 28, 28, 26, 28, 25, 10, 15, 16, 28, 28, 28, 25) :)

AdelaisAer
06-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Yes, I think so. If you want to be sure simply check Log and numbers under MULTI. Weird sudden changes in values = throttling. (For example: 28, 28, 28, 26, 28, 25, 10, 15, 16, 28, 28, 28, 25) :)

If it does happen to throttle, what should I do?

scuk1nho
06-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Also any different values than 100.0 under CKMOD CHIPM = throttling.

scuk1nho
06-28-2012, 07:34 PM
If it does happen to throttle, what should I do?

Hmm, if disabling DB PROCHOT didnt helped then your TS is not working.

AdelaisAer
06-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Hmm, if disabling DB PROCHOT didnt helped then your TS is not working.

I see. Alright. Later today I'll test Diablo 3 and a few other games, and see if it works.

unclewebb
06-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Run ThrottleStop with the log file option selected so you have a record of your CPU's performance while gaming. Turn on GPU monitoring in the Options window before you start logging. When finished gaming, exit the game, exit ThrottleStop and then upload your log file somewhere convenient. Better yet, just Copy and Paste all of the data to www.pastebin.com and post a link here.

There is no need to check off either of the Clock Modulation values unless your log file shows that your laptop is using one of those methods to throttle your performance. The log file should show if CPU throttling is the issue.

AdelaisAer
06-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Here is my first log while testing Diablo III with the 304.48 BETA driver from nVidia:
EDIT: Mind you, I tested it for only one minute. I'll go test it for a little longer now and will paste the new data. Probably two or three minutes will be good.

http://pastebin.com/0pA1DEgu
(http://pastebin.com/0pA1DEgu)

AdelaisAer
06-29-2012, 06:34 PM
New log:

http://pastebin.com/zwpkW7K3

Edit: Also, I did notice a slightly lower framerate while playing DIII, but that might be because I am using the new BETA driver as opposed to a full driver.

scuk1nho
06-30-2012, 05:45 AM
Seems OK. No signs of throttling.

AdelaisAer
06-30-2012, 05:55 AM
Seems OK. No signs of throttling.

Oh. Then maybe my beta driver is keeping me down a bit. :S When 304 goes official, I'll test again.