PDA

View Full Version : g75 Power Down Problem

la0
06-28-2012, 05:48 AM
when i power down, i'll sometimes get a screen that flashes for a second or so.
something like 'Do you want to Save File/force shutdown'-? something like that- flashes too quick to read. seems like it's referring to a different open file or ongoing process each time.
THEN- the ASUS Shuts off!
LATELY it's been causing problems. bad ones. crashing when i turn computer on again, wanting me to return computer to "factory state"...
- QUESTION: can i get the computer to *NOT* shut down until i respond to that screen?

- Before I shut down, I've been checking in Task Manager & closing all open files etc manually.
Doesn't help though. STILL getting that same problem- & whatever shows to me disappears to quickly for me to read.
ANYBODY?

ALSO: does ASUS make any products that WORK? i mean, without weeks & weeks of fixing after we buy them?
- can someone recommend ANOTHER notebook from ANOTHER company, that WORKS?
thanx!

** NOTE: I posted this at the tail-end of a thread here on another topic, but i don't think many people are finding it.
g75vw - win7 home 64bit - 16 GB RAM - 1 TB HD

dstrakele
06-28-2012, 06:21 AM
I would follow the computer's advice and return the system to its factory state. If the issue persists, I would exchange it for a new unit if possible.

If that resolves the issue, I'd be careful what I installed to (AND UNinstalled from) the system, taking new installations (and new UNinstalllations) one at a time, testing, then backing up a Windows System Image if the installation proves stable. That way, if a problem appears, you can easily go back to your last stable configuration if Windows System Restore should fail.

If you find you want to UNinstall most of the ASUS Bloatware, I recommend doing a "Clean Windows 7" installation rather than an ASUS Factory Restore.

la0
06-28-2012, 07:16 AM
i've had this happen on EVERY g75 i tried- not just this one- also the one's i returned.
ive installed very little- but i HAVE installed some security apps & other things.
wow. i dread having to go back to Factory State- all the time to reload & change settings again. but- it may be the thing to do.
...maybe i could un-install my newer apps one at a time? see if it helps.

- HOW do i do a Clean Win7 install? if i don't have win7 os discs?

thanks for the response.

OH: "Back up a Windows System Image if the installation proves stable." - System Restore Point wouldn't be enough? Sys Image is better?

dstrakele
06-28-2012, 09:27 AM
i've had this happen on EVERY g75 i tried- not just this one- also the one's i returned.
ive installed very little- but i HAVE installed some security apps & other things.

You're the only one reporting this issue. I think the quote above says something about the changes you're making to these systems. I think it is important to look more closely at EACH change you make - including any UNinstallations. You could try Windows System Restore to undo some of the changes you made to see if it resolves your issue.

You can download an ISO file of the Windows version currently installed on your system from DigitalRiver. Then burn it to a DVD to use as a Windows installation disk. Then you install the device drivers and you have a clean Win 7 installation with no ASUS Bloatware. When you're satisfied its working right, you can activate it with the Win 7 product key on the bottom of your laptop. There are numerous threads on this and other forums that discuss a clean Windows installation in great detail.

A Windows System Image created at backup provides additional security to undo changes if a Windows System Restore fails or if the Restore Point you need has been overwritten with more recent Restore Points.

BrandeX
06-28-2012, 02:48 PM
I had a similar issue after installing a game that tried to put Starforce on my PC (GTA4), doing a system restore was the only way to boot back up again with going into the factory restore loop after power on.

Myk SilentShadow
06-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Your problem is not unique la0, but it's actually not an error. I know this may come across as odd or even wierd...but it's pretty simple. There have been times when i've gone to shut my system down at night and had that screen come up...even when nothing was running in the background. Basically I put it down to Windoze not flushing the RAM properly when you close any running programs. So it's actually not an ASUS problem, but in fact, a Micro$oft problem/issue.

dstrakele
06-28-2012, 03:17 PM
LATELY it's been causing problems. bad ones. crashing when i turn computer on again, wanting me to return computer to "factory state"...

This particular issue DOES appear to be an ASUS problem. My recommendation is to eliminate the invasive ASUS Bloatware by performing a clean Windows 7 installation.