PDA

View Full Version : G75VW really strange behaviour

kiba
06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
yesterday morning, after playing battlefield 3, i let panda gp run a virus scan & it came back w/ nothing, and i shut it down. the next time i started it, it took forever for my windows cpu, and gpu gadgets to come on, and the HD gadget wouldnt come on at all. the cpu activity was going nuts, and i checked, but couldnt figure out what it was actually doing. ctrl alt delete would not work at all, and it took forever to do anything at all. i updated the gadgets the night before and thought maybe i had downloaded a virus/malware w/ them, but like i said, pandaGP came back w/ nothing on the scan and it was freshly updated.

so i restarted in safe mode and none of this behaviour was there, i tried restoring to an earlier date and repairing windows but it would not LET me, and the problems seemed to be getting worse. i figured the best option at that point would be to do an F9 restore, which i did.

Anyways, after the F9 restore, everything seems to be back to normal, but this freaked me out. i do absolutely NO browsing on it, i do that on my iphone. the only time i even use a browser is to DL drivers. the G75VW is my new laptop and all I use it for is gaming. i do all the other stuff and work from my G74SX. anybody have any idea what could have caused this so that i can avoid it in the future?

john_from_ohio
06-28-2012, 11:08 AM
i updated the gadgets the night before and thought maybe i had downloaded a virus/malware w/ them, but like i said, pandaGP came back w/ nothing on the scan and it was freshly updated.

Sounds like either something had taken over your computer or maybe SSD was flaking out?

I always use a double combination of antivirus stuff and after my wife did some strange things last year became a big fan of Malware Bytes Anti Malware ... ( just my opinion but ) everyone should have this toolset available. You can run it in safe mode and ( with most recent updates applied ) usually it will identify anything bad.

I know nothing of panda but well obviously it is not a real player in the marketplace. Some people like microsoft security essentials ( which I think plays ok with MBAM not sure ) but the top dog in commercial sales is Symantec and you can also get a bootable disc from them which can boot up a system and get most recent updates and then do full scans.

I hope you are doing full system images periodically to an external hard drive ... you could have restored your system to one of those from before you applied your last gadgets.

I for one do not really understand the appeal of gadgets much and they seem risky but hwinfo64 is pretty proven and is very customizable for alerting/etc.

What kind of SSD are you running on? Is it possible it was having issues and/or needs firmware revision?

dstrakele
06-28-2012, 11:22 AM
IASTOR.SYS of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver has been implicated in high CPU utilization leading to lockups, particlarly during startups.

Another possibility is UNinstallation of ASUS Bloatware apps can sometimes result in system instability. A clean Windows install rather than an ASUS Factory Restore will eliminate this possibility.

kiba
06-28-2012, 11:46 AM
i have a crucial SSD, off the top of my head i cant remember what model but ill check when i get back home... im pretty sure its just the laptop version of the ones i have in my rig. PandaGP is actually listed in 3rd place behind avast and bitdefender on cnet reviews i beleive. i use it because my work has unlimited usage on it for all their servers, so its free for me, plus it takes up very little resources. for their virus definitions, they use "collected intelligence" which supposedly shares virus definitions between antivirus software like AVG, Avast, bitdefender and a few others i think for mutual benefit. that said, if it was virus/malware, i dont get why it didnt catch it because i always update before i scan, although something could have slithered in after the scan. i dunno, works great now tho. to me this seems like virus/malware behaviour.

Thoughts?

dstrakele
06-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Process Explorer might be able to help you determine what causes the high CPU utilization if it should recur. It is an oft-reported symptom of Antivirus driver conflicts. Panda could be the cause rather than a virus. You may need to apply a Panda hotfix (see http://support.pandasecurity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168&p=613).

kiba
06-28-2012, 07:35 PM
^great find, im checking the hotfixes out now, thanks dstrakele, helpful as always.

MPelissari
06-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Jsl1ce, welcome to the group, if you do find the answer to this one please post it on, i have been trouble shooting this with dstrakele for a while now, the exactly syntoms some times during startup or during a normal laptop use, high use of CPU then nothing gets done on the laptop you would have to wait 10 minutes to something to boot up or during other times 5 minutes for something to get done, mouse works nice other then that everything is very slow, i have done the unistallation of IASTOR.SYS as dstrakele suggested and it now less often, but it still happens, i running now lantencyMon, ProcessExplorer V15 that come out this month, running realtemp, and the DPC latency to see if i can catch at the time what might it be causing this freezes and high cpu load... if you find any thing useful please share...

this is what i have tried so far: fresh install of windows 7 ult sp1, remove Intel rapid storage driver, i'm using Kaspersky as my antivirus, i have only the hotkeys from asus installed no other bloatware...

You can follow up my post http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16933-G75VW-TS72-with-random-BSOD...&country=&status= to see what i have tried so far... now i'm counting 3 users with the same thing... and other 7 on another forum... in a conclusion it is related to a DPC high latency related to driver malfunctioning, but so far i haven't find the one that is causing.. today i will update the video card to a beta driver to check if still persists i couldn't do yesterday since i was busy here on the rig with work...

MPelissari
06-28-2012, 08:12 PM
But while this is happening are you able to see which process is taking all the CPU usage? is it the anti-virus? System? or something else?

Was yours related to the panda antivirus? did the hot fix work? because i'm using kaspersky.... :-(

dstrakele
06-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Take a look at http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17744-Asus-G73S-Freezing-Locking-up&p=122462&viewfull=1#post122462. In this post, @RevertM reports a long-standing lockup issue is resolved when disabling the NVIDIA High Definition Audio and Reatek Audio drivers. I'm wondering if certain version combinations of these 2 audio drivers cause a conflict...

MPelissari
06-28-2012, 09:03 PM
I will try that, that is a new one, but also i will try the Beta driver installation thru safe mode...i will do both today... will keep update too...

kiba
06-29-2012, 10:58 AM
no i couldnt see what process was causing it... so far its fine *knocks on wood* but what you said kinda worries me a bit.

when i hit ctrl+alt+delete to get to task manager, nothing would come up for a while, then it would give me an error message (i cant remember what it said) or a black screen w/ only the mouse pointer. i had to activate task manager from start menu and that worked. did this happen to yours?

is there any way to add that recovery partition to my SSD? also, what is APRP, apparently its asus software (im working on getting rid of my bloatware). i have 16gb ram but am kind of financially stretched thin right now from brimging my desktop back from the dead, which came w/ ultimate (but will only install on 1 pc at a time)... but im still planning on getting windows ultimate or maybe whichever version of windows 8 allows for the most RAM (windows 8 coming out is the main reason i didnt get windows 7 ultimate right away).

john_from_ohio
06-29-2012, 01:38 PM
is there any way to add that recovery partition to my SSD?

Only certain way of getting recovery partition on SSD is by using recovery DVD's to do a complete factory re-install onto SSD. If so follow Cecils guide ...

You can upgrade to a different version of 7 after doing the factory re-install.

WIndows ultimate has no real advantage over 7 pro unless you want to encrypt your drive and without a hardware supported TPM chip ... well dodgy at best.

MPelissari
06-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Jsl1ce, sometimes when i had this problem i had to press Ctrl+Alt+Del then wait like 3 to 5 minutes the screen with the options would come out then i could press to run the task manager, but it takes a while, my was showing that System the main kernel process responsible for system DPC and Interrups (drivers control and I/Os) and also windows session, but since dstrakele is helping me i have my bets on some driver in my computer, the catch is i can't get the latency monitor and process explorer to run at the exactly moment that the problem is happening.. so yesterday i did the upgrade on the new Beta Nvidia Driver... so for no problems... but i will keep trying... try to see during the problem which process is taking up the cpu usage... but i hope you won't get problems again but if you do try to see...

kiba
06-29-2012, 08:02 PM
yeah, i will dont worry, but i hope this doesnt happen so i dont have to. beleive me i did try, but it took a while for me to bring up task manager and by that time i couldnt see which process was doing this. but for me, no matter how long i waited, the ctrl-alt-del options screen would not come up, just an error message saying ctrl-alt-del was not possible or a blank screen w/ just the mouse pointer.

kiba
06-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Only certain way of getting recovery partition on SSD is by using recovery DVD's to do a complete factory re-install onto SSD. If so follow Cecils guide ...

You can upgrade to a different version of 7 after doing the factory re-install.

WIndows ultimate has no real advantage over 7 pro unless you want to encrypt your drive and without a hardware supported TPM chip ... well dodgy at best.
windows ultimate is the only version able to use up to 16GB correct?

my g75 still has home edition or whatever it is that it came w/

its definitely on my list of things to do but since ive been doing most of my gaming on my desktop lately (new and shiny is always best lol), i might just save my $ and get whatever 16gb version of windows 8 is available (im hoping maybe a 32gb version but i doubt it), no sense in me buying something now that will be "the old version" in a few months.

john_from_ohio
06-29-2012, 10:22 PM
windows ultimate is the only version able to use up to 16GB correct?

Not so much ... 64 bit info:

Win 7 Pro and above able to use 192 gb of memory ... Win 7 home premium limited to 16 gb.

Google search on "win 7 memory limit" ...