PDA

View Full Version : G75VW and 5.1 Surround

mrwolf
06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and have just picked up a G75 and I must say its awesome! Just very unfortunate that we cannot hook up 5.1 audio directly. I am wondering if anyone here has their system hooked up to surround sound and if so how I can do this. Would it be a good idea to buy a creative x-fi external sound card? Or is the only way through hdmi?

Would be great if I could get some advice / opinions on this as I have a good 5.1 set up which i was using with my old alienware m17x.

Thanks in advance

rabbert.klein
06-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and have just picked up a G75 and I must say its awesome! Just very unfortunate that we cannot hook up 5.1 audio directly. I am wondering if anyone here has their system hooked up to surround sound and if so how I can do this. Would it be a good idea to buy a creative x-fi external sound card? Or is the only way through hdmi?

Would be great if I could get some advice / opinions on this as I have a good 5.1 set up which i was using with my old alienware m17x.

Thanks in advance

I just looked at my G75's 3.5mm jack closely and I do see the optical transmitter in there. When I get home this evening and providing I can find the little 3.5mm optical converter I'll test it out and post the results.

john_from_ohio
06-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and have just picked up a G75 and I must say its awesome! Just very unfortunate that we cannot hook up 5.1 audio directly.

Should work directly out of headphone jack ... is yours having an issue?

rabbert.klein
06-29-2012, 12:53 AM
OK here is what I found.

First set the default audio device to SPDIF Interface (TX0) as it will not automatically detect the connection and there you go.

I did some testing and it seems capable of DTS and Dolby Digital but only in Stereo but here is the good news! I popped in a DVD and selected SPDIF Passthrough in VLC's options and then I had 5.1 signal to my receiver.

So if your receiver doesn't have any 5-7ch enhancement modes you'll only get 2ch audio on any two channel media but as I have found as long as your media has multiple channels and your media player supports SPDIF passthrough you can get 5/7.1 audio.

dstrakele
06-29-2012, 01:16 AM
+1 @rabbertklein! Good find!