PDA

View Full Version : Asus really need to get their quality control in order!

Jeronan
06-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Both my gf and me bought a G75VW two weeks ago.

Mine was fine, but here comes the trouble my gf had to go through.

1. She bought it first. I reinstalled OS (always do that to have a clean system), reinstalled drivers, installed some games as test.
Everything ran perfectly fine.
2. I bought my laptop a couple days later, focussed on that for a few days.
3. After the weekend my gf booted up her G75 laptop... black screen.... nothing happens.
We tried litterly everything, as we read on forums about the black screen issue, but to no avail.
4. Back to the shop. They concurred there is a problem with the screen and gave us a new one.
As I was nervous, I said I wanted to try out the new one in the store first, to make sure everything is fine.
5. New laptop boots up.... takes very long... finally windows loaded after minutes, filled in the regular first boot up stuff, windows finished configurations and has to reboot.... BAM! Blue screen and laptop hangs.
6. After boot up, no valid boot device could be found!
7. Store employee was in shock too, checked Bios and we saw the harddrive had completely dissapeared!
Conclusion... harddrive defect and crashed totally on first boot up!

So that is two laptops in a row with technical malfunctions! One with a defect screen and the other with a defect harddisk!
Also... her first one was also missing one of the two fan filters in the bottom, so we already needed to use one of the spare ones that came with the laptop!

Now she is on a third laptop.... so far so good.... but we have gotten pretty nervous about all this and keep our fingers crossed each day that the laptops we have now still work when we turn it on and won't give up on us at any time!

This is just absolutely terrible quality control! A huge dissapointment! As I have used many Asus products over the years (motherboards, graphics cards) and was always very pleased with the quality.

Not this time! :mad:

dstrakele
06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
I agree with you. ASUS laptop quality control is seriously bad. If you purchase one without a good retailer exchange/return policy, you're taking a big risk.

I also find it amazing that if you need to RMA for warranty repair, there is only ONE guy in the entire ASUS World organization, Mason@ASUS, that you can PM to help you. It is true he does the work and gets the results of a dozen reps, but he is just ONE guy!

Is the PC biz so low margin that any quality control or efforts at customer satisfaction are money-losing propositions? I've read PC's are steadily losing market share to mobile devices. Perhaps this is the result of this shift.

Brian_ROG
06-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Really sorry to hear about the problems you had with the G75 Jeronan. It is disappointing to here of the quality control issues that seems to be happening to a pretty large number of people. Asus really does need to take a look at some of it's manufactuers a little more closely to try and correct these issues. It would seem that having a large number of malfunctioning units would be a huge cost, not only with product returns but with customer perception of there brand and image.

Now, I have to also say that Asus is a very big company. They have shipped 4.1 Million Notebooks alone in the 1st quarter of 2012, and have 2nd Quarter targets of 4.4 Million. That is notebooks alone, not counting PC's, Handhelds, etc...

So looking at that I can say with a lot of confidence that the number of people actually having an issue with there products has got to be a very small percentage. Doing this research I noticed that 1st and 2nd Quarter shipments of notebooks in 2011 were 2.8 and 3.1 Million respectively. So it seems they are producing a much larger quantity of notebooks this year, which could impact quality if they are rushing to meet demand.

Its also interesting to note that Asus had almost 91 Billion in Revenues in the 1st Quarter 2012 (this is in NT$, New Taiwan Dollar, so that converts to a little over 3 billion U.S.) Of that after Cost of good sold, operating expenses, etc, etc they made just over 5 Billion NT$, or 167 Million U.S. in Net Income. If I did these conversions correctly:cool: So, it looks like they have profit margins of about 5%. I don't know how extensively Asus is represented in the United States. It appears there biggest markets are Asia #1, then Europe.

Anyway, i feel like i just read a lot of crap about Asus, they seems to be a good company and want to produce innovative and quality products, I have a feeling that sometimes things fall through the cracks. I hope your new replacement G75 works out for you. My G75 has been working flawlessly, and i've had it now almost 2 months. Oh and welcome to ROG!

PC_744
06-29-2012, 03:04 AM
Asus is seriously horrible company and I'm sorry to hear that,now let me tell you my story.

I've ALWAYS bought Toshiba's laptops, NOTHING ever happened!. They all run smooth and nice. I always bought the "Qosmio" class.
They are the best!.

Well, I was surfing on the internet and I saw these laptops (Asus ROGS) and I was really really interested on them and I decided to buy one. Well, you know what is the funny part of the hole the story? My little brother,

he is a 14 years old he actually told me : Bro you always buy Toshiba's laptops why do you want to buy a "Asus" one?. You sure about this?

I wish I just listened to my brother. Now I have the G55VW laptop, the first day I had it,I faced TONS of techinal problems and some hardware issues, too.
All of these problems were out of the box I didn't even clicked a thing, Heat problems, BSOD, Mouse courser keep disappearing, one of the keyboards' button "The Q one" was actually inside the box and not on the keyboard (Do you imagine a keyboard without a Q?) and that looked really really like a cheap laptop and tons of other problems that I can't remember.

Anyway I will never buy a Asus laptop no matter what they do or invent even if they made a laptop with 3 GPUS -_-

Next upgrade Is going to be from Toshiba. <3

dstrakele
06-29-2012, 03:17 AM
I agree that the number of defective ASUS laptops is a small percentage of the number shipped. However, from reading posts on other laptop manufacturer forums, I suspect that percentage of defective ASUS systems is higher than for most any other manufacturer. When I look at ASUS forums here and on Notebook Review, I see these type of posts almost every day (these are not verbatim titles, but express the subject of the thread type):

Poor Quality Control on ASUS laptops

My Laptop Boots to a Black Screen

BIOS Flash Bricked My Laptop

G75 Arrives Disassembled - Dead the Next Day

Built-in Webcam Won't Work

G75 Left Speaker Dead

G53 Power Connector Pin Breaks - Again!

Built-in Speakers Have Static

DVD Drive Can't Read ANY Media

G75 Keys Off Keyboard and Missing Rubber Feet

Erratic Cursor Issues on G73/G74 Systems

My RMA Nightmare Continues

Brand New G75 - Won't Turn On (or Wake Up)

Keyboard Issues on My New Laptop

Laptop Won't Boot - HDD Not Recognized

RMA Horror Story

BIOS Brick After Update

Keyboad Backlight Not Working

Screen Randomly Failing

G53SW Bricked Itself

Flashing Black Screen Issues

Laptop Dead After ASUS Live Update

Odd Blank/White Screen on Random Boots

BSOD Hell and Now Bricked

G55 Keyboard Backlight Not Working

G73 Webcam and Power Problems

LCD Display Will Not Work

Very Hot Battery!

G75 Subwoofer Not Working

All USB Ports Non-Functional

G74SX BIOS Bricked - Strange Tech Response - They Blame Me!

This is the 'crap' I read about ASUS every day. The frequency of these type of serious issues is much greater than I observe in the HP, Dell, and Apple forums, all of which ship significantly more laptops per quarter than ASUS. In fact, these serious issues appear more frequently on ASUS Forums than on any other manufacturer forum I visit. From this I have to conclude ASUS is in the cellar when it comes to Quality Control and Customer Service. And so the report of receiving 2 fatally defective laptops out of 4 for the OP is not a surprise.

I wish that was not so. I own an ASUS laptop. I want it to be reliable. I want to know that ASUS will stand behind their equipment and keep me as a satisfied customer if my Laptop should break. But from what I read, ASUS has serious Quality Control and Customer Service issues. Unfortunately, I see only one person in the entire ASUS organization doing anything to address these problems.

dstrakele
06-29-2012, 03:34 AM
@PC_744 - You should have returned your defective laptop to the retailer for an exchange or a complete refund. There is no reason to keep a new laptop with those issues right out of the box.

PC_744
06-29-2012, 03:38 AM
@P744 - You should have returned your defective laptop to the retailer for an exchange or a complete refund. There is no resin to keep a new laptop with those issues right out of the box.

Yes, I did this. I exchange it with one with less problems.
They didn't accept to refund. :(

Actually, when they gave me a new one, I unboxed it right there and started doing all sort of benchmarking and testing. The one they gave me first was junk.
The CPU idle at 59c and it stalls seriously bad whenever loading an application or an HD video.However,

the second one (which is the 3rd counting the first on I bought) was a bit better and after I runned some apps and testing it was a bit good and I took it which is the one I'm using right now but still there is some problems with it, but this is the best one I managed to find and compared to others' problems I'm having a RARE working version of this laptop.

dstrakele
06-29-2012, 03:55 AM
Post a new thread about your current issues and we'll help you resolve them.

PC_744
06-29-2012, 04:24 AM
Post a new thread about your current issues and we'll help you resolve them.

Well, that sounds like a good idea!. I just made a topic about a problem with my speakers.

JednaPiroga
06-29-2012, 12:09 PM
I agree with the thread creator about the quality control.

If you get a good example than it is awsome, but seems to me its average to at least RMA or exchange the computer once before you get an good example.

My second G75 had alot better feeling and response to the touchpad than my first one did, and the first one had broken left speaker.
My first G53SX had faulty keyboard lights, and the touchpad was pure crap,(the alu-foil problem)

It is weird that such an otherwise good computer and brand have so many bad laptops out there.

When I worked at Scania, I asembeld gauge clusters for their trucks, it had like 0.1% bad units. Seems to me that asus has about 30% of bad products out there.

chrsplmr
06-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Jedna .. 30% ??? Where do you get Your data ?
So Scania will do $360 Billion this year, turning out 16 Million 'Clusters'??
NO company would even see the 2nd Quarter with a 30% return.

Sorry .. It was a typo .. under 3% ... but that is still too many, agreed.
The Rush to fill demand keeps the Pricing down .. but QC suffers ..
if Asus did as 'apple' the cost would be (would it be fair to say double?)
and their no nonsense return policy ? Was paid for by those with no returns. et.c.

rabbert.klein
06-29-2012, 01:50 PM

and their no nonsense return policy ? Was paid for by those with no returns. et.c.

The G75 reminds me of my OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS SSD. I love the damn thing as it has not caused me a single issue but the small subset of people who have experienced issues flooded any review site or forum they could find giving the perception that the drive is terrible.

JednaPiroga
06-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Hi :) It was just an asumption, absolutly not a fact. I have owned 2 Asus G-Series and there were something worng with both of them. My sister bought a Asus Zeenbook some months ago and the keyboard lights didnt work at all. And just look how many people have issues with their asus products.