PDA

View Full Version : Dear Asus/ROG..

Zimba
06-29-2012, 11:20 PM
This is a call out to Asus. This is a serious request and should be taken seriously.

Asus greatly boast the "Republic of gamers" slogan and is proud of it as they offer great gamer notebooks to the public. While it is true for many, there are also many potential customers, like myself that feel left out by Asus. The later years have shown a bad trend (but perhaps marketing genious?). Its the trend of dilluting the ROG brand with low high end GPUs like 460M and 560M. While they are more than capable GPUs ready to play most modern games, they are not enough to play the games at Ultra settings. Latest G55/G75 have the 660M and the 670M. 660M continues the low high end trend while the 670M is a bad choice since it is based on the hot old Fermi architecture.

Lets get down to the core problem:
Asus compete against many fierce competitors. But unlike Asus, they have all moved up to also satisfy customers like me, who want the best of the best, while STILL offering mid range products like 660M. More choice, more costumers. Alienware, MSI, Samsung, Clevo, they all now offer both 660M AND 7970M plus GTX 680M.
I along with many many others wish that Asus could also move to the same department as the companies mentioned above. While I do get why Asus left AMD and only offer Nvidia cards, there are so many people wanting the GTX 680M inside the upcoming G75. I think Asus should really really consider it since it runs cooler than GTX 580M/675M while is so much better. You get 45%+ performance over 580M/675M but it still doesn`t restrain the great cooling system Asus is known for. I will post proof below.

My point is that you will get more customers, you will still be able to offer products to your mainstream clients since you will offer both 680M and 660M, and most importantly, you will prove that Asus can greatly and wholeheartly put their hands proudly on the "ROG" brand. That is my message, and I hope that the engineers at Asus will atleast consider including GTX 680M in their catalogue.

Here is the reason why GTX 680M will be a perfect match for G75:

Schenker XMG P702 with 675M have these temperatures for the GPU:

Battlefield 3: 77 C
Furmark: 96 C
Room temperature when this was measured: 22 C
Power consumption: 124-218W on load

Review Clevo P170EM Notebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Clevo-P170EM-Notebook.73442.0.html)

Schenker XMG P702 with 680M have these temperatures for the GPU:

Battlefield 3: 70 C
Furmark: 85 C
Room temperature when this was measured: 26 C
Power consumption: 106-183W

Test GeForce GTX 680M vs. Radeon HD 7970M - Notebookcheck.com Tests (http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-GeForce-GTX-680M-vs-Radeon-HD-7970M.77072.0.html)

Its the exact same notebook for both, yet the 680M runs 7-11 C cooler than 675M. GTX 680M should output the same heat as GTX 670M which Asus already offer in the G-series

Zimba
06-30-2012, 02:36 PM
How do one get in touch with the engineers at their headquarters in Taiwan?
I have no contact information to get in touch with them.

Liquidus
07-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Yo, okay. I want all of you guys to chip in and donate me a total of $3k-$4k in USD. With that money, I'll buy the next plane ticket to Taiwan, hire a translator, break into ASUS HQ, confront the CEO (or someone w/power), take him hostage, and demand a ransom. Oh, and I might tell them that they should get their act together with high-end GPU's on their premium gaming laptops.

EDIT: Better yet, I'll take MARSHALL as hostage (the whole situation will become a PR nightmare) and then secretly bribe him to become a sleeper mole within the company!

mrwolf
07-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Some good **** your smoking there..... :cool:

volors
07-03-2012, 03:15 AM
This is a call out to Asus. This is a serious request and should be taken seriously.

Asus greatly boast the "Republic of gamers" slogan and is proud of it as they offer great gamer notebooks to the public. While it is true for many, there are also many potential customers, like myself that feel left out by Asus. The later years have shown a bad trend (but perhaps marketing genious?). Its the trend of dilluting the ROG brand with low high end GPUs like 460M and 560M. While they are more than capable GPUs ready to play most modern games, they are not enough to play the games at Ultra settings. Latest G55/G75 have the 660M and the 670M. 660M continues the low high end trend while the 670M is a bad choice since it is based on the hot old Fermi architecture.

Lets get down to the core problem:
Asus compete against many fierce competitors. But unlike Asus, they have all moved up to also satisfy customers like me, who want the best of the best, while STILL offering mid range products like 660M. More choice, more costumers. Alienware, MSI, Samsung, Clevo, they all now offer both 660M AND 7970M plus GTX 680M.
I along with many many others wish that Asus could also move to the same department as the companies mentioned above. While I do get why Asus left AMD and only offer Nvidia cards, there are so many people wanting the GTX 680M inside the upcoming G75. I think Asus should really really consider it since it runs cooler than GTX 580M/675M while is so much better. You get 45%+ performance over 580M/675M but it still doesn`t restrain the great cooling system Asus is known for. I will post proof below.

My point is that you will get more customers, you will still be able to offer products to your mainstream clients since you will offer both 680M and 660M, and most importantly, you will prove that Asus can greatly and wholeheartly put their hands proudly on the "ROG" brand. That is my message, and I hope that the engineers at Asus will atleast consider including GTX 680M in their catalogue.

Here is the reason why GTX 680M will be a perfect match for G75:

Its the exact same notebook for both, yet the 680M runs 7-11 C cooler than 675M. GTX 680M should output the same heat as GTX 670M which Asus already offer in the G-series

+1
i love asus design and my last rog was asus g51j , but because i want to buy a gtx 680M i have to go sager way now. :(

xeromist
07-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Off topic comments removed. That type of argument really isn't necessary but if it comes up again please make sure to keep it civil. Thanks!

Zimba
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
volors: Yeah there are so many people wanting the 680M inside the G75. Today MSI just announced that they will be featuring the 680M inside their GT60/GT70 notebooks. It only have one cooling fan, vs Asus which have two of them.
They both share the same customers, yet MSI is smart, they listen to what the customers want and adapt. So now they offer both 660M/670M/675M and 680M.

I know many people who have been forced to buy from a different company although they love Asus. I just don`t get why Asus refuse to listen to us. They are losing so many customers because of this. Especially now since 680M offer atleast 60% performance over 670M which the G75 feature, and also because heatwise they are the same.
Here is a thread from Notebookreview if anyone is interested in reading more opinions:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/660789-asus-g75-680m-upgrade.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@xeromist:
Can you please forward my first post to Asus headquarters so they can read about how things really are now? I feel that they don`t watch the market enough to see how customers feel. Or atleast msg me an email adress I can send it to myself?

Redking117
07-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Well my G50 had a 9800, where as my dad's G51 bought one year later has a 260

I kinda missed the "g52-72" series, but i know the 73 had a 460, 74: 560 and now 75 : 660

The fact they offer the 670 and 675 seems an upgrade...

Though I stuck with the 660 since it was a "true" 6 series.

The 9800 was obviously worlds better than the 9600 :P

It would be like a 680 now vs a 660

xeromist
07-03-2012, 05:55 PM
@xeromist:
Can you please forward my first post to Asus headquarters so they can read about how things really are now? I feel that they don`t watch the market enough to see how customers feel. Or atleast msg me an email adress I can send it to myself?

I'm just a volunteer, sorry :( The people with @ASUS in their usernames are the ones that actually work for ASUS.

Zimba
07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Oh I see. I tried contacting some of them but no reply yet. Thanks
Youre doing a great job as a moderator btw :)

@Redking: Asus doesn`t feature GTX 675M in any of their notebooks right?

Zimba
07-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Well, nothing good came out of this thread. No Asus employee did bother to reply, nowhere to get in touch with Asus (email).

I guess I should face the fact that Asus does not care about their ROG brand nor do they care about the upper segment in the gaming industry. So sad since there is so much potential.

xeromist
07-05-2012, 04:48 PM
TBH, I don't think the 680M was available when the G5 series was created. And since ASUS likes to customize its laptop GPUs and cooling it wouldn't just be a drop in replacement. To say that they don't care about the ROG brand is a bit over dramatic as the existing offerings play games just fine.

Also, I don't think the ROG notebook line has ever been about capturing a crown. In past generations there have been offerings from Alienware and others with higher end or even dual GPU configurations and ASUS didn't blink. They seem to build relatively good cost/performance machines around one or two different GPUs and that's it until the next generation.

I'm sorry you didn't get a reply and I mention this a lot but this is a user/customer discussion forum. Any participation by ASUS employees is purely a bonus as none of them are assigned to work here. They come here in their free time because they still have full time responsibilities elsewhere. So don't take it as an insult if your thread doesn't have @ASUS participation.

PILGRIM
07-05-2012, 05:33 PM
TBH, I don't think the 680M was available when the G5 series was created. And since ASUS likes to customize its laptop GPUs and cooling it wouldn't just be a drop in replacement. To say that they don't care about the ROG brand is a bit over dramatic as the existing offerings play games just fine.

Also, I don't think the ROG notebook line has ever been about capturing a crown. In past generations there have been offerings from Alienware and others with higher end or even dual GPU configurations and ASUS didn't blink. They seem to build relatively good cost/performance machines around one or two different GPUs and that's it until the next generation.

I'm sorry you didn't get a reply and I mention this a lot but this is a user/customer discussion forum. Any participation by ASUS employees is purely a bonus as none of them are assigned to work here. They come here in their free time because they still have full time responsibilities elsewhere. So don't take it as an insult if your thread doesn't have @ASUS participation.

I concur with that. Although I assume ASUS motherboards are one of the best (if not the best),
methinks ASUS doesn't bother to compete on what's the fastest or have the latest GPU's or CPU's.
Rather, it focuses on the best "bang for the buck" (as what you stateside people say) laptop.

Consequently, ASUS has been very successful with this business scheme, so who can actually
demean it? I'm sure if ASUS determined it could have made more profit by doing it, it would
have done it a long time ago.

On the other hand, these ROG forums being an actual repository of customers' feedback
(especially on ASUS' flagship laptops), there has to be at least one liaison officer that stays
in-between customers and producer. It goes without saying that ASUS customers do care,
that's why they choose ASUS products. But would ASUS reciprocate?..

chrsplmr
07-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Zimba .. Of course Asus wants the best of the best in all Products with ROG being the flagship.
Teams work around the world to develop what is manufactured. New Cpu's and Gpu's are
released all the time .. manufacturers, even as big as Asus can not yell stop the presses
everytime something new hits the market. The untested technical issues alone would be
staggering.
But I have witnessed between model updates that Asus does indeed listen .. evidenced by
the New G75 improvements.
"...there is so much potential." ... 100% Agreed.
We all wish we could get a look at the 5 and 10 year plans of not only Asus and ROG ..
but Intel, Amd, Nvidia, Corsair and on and on and on.
Asus/ROG may not be moving fast enough for you, a sign of a true enthusiast ..
but They lead the Pack .... Welcome to ROGfriend.

I suggest if ALL the tech Giants would quit playing cut-throat -- but will Never happen.imho.

PILGRIM--Excellent points. You always offer solutions to seen negatives.cudos.c.

Redking117
07-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Oh I see. I tried contacting some of them but no reply yet. Thanks
Youre doing a great job as a moderator btw :)

@Redking: Asus doesn`t feature GTX 675M in any of their notebooks right?

For some reason I thought there was one.. D:

chrsplmr
07-06-2012, 11:59 AM
"...Youre doing a great job as a moderator btw :)..."
I could not agree more .. c.

Zimba
07-06-2012, 07:43 PM
The power consumption of Sager with GTX 680M. 680M even draw less power than 670M

Shawnnepc
07-06-2012, 07:57 PM
The power consumption of Sager with GTX 680M. 680M even draw less power than 670M

It has nothing to do with power consumption.

Put yourself in the shoes of the ASUS engineering team.

There's variables that you're missing and thing's i'm not allowed to discuss.

Look at how NVIDIA released the 6xx series for your answer

xeromist
07-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Yeah, that's to be expected since the 670m is last generation tech. I'm certainly glad that Kepler uses LESS and not more. I could imagine a future where laptops need 200W bricks. :p

dstrakele
07-06-2012, 09:18 PM
You've got a good imagination - I hear rumors that instead of a backpack, the G76 will ship with a ROG Hand Cart...

Zimba
07-06-2012, 11:57 PM
It has nothing to do with power consumption.
Put yourself in the shoes of the ASUS engineering team.

There's variables that you're missing and thing's i'm not allowed to discuss.

Look at how NVIDIA released the 6xx series for your answer

ok.
We know that:
1. GTX 680M runs atleast 10 degree celsius under 580M. Around the same temperature as 570M and sightly under 670M. Asus already includes 670M, which means the thermal management aka cooling system that is in the G75 is already sufficient. Asus can still continue with their coolest and quietest cooling system they got going on with the G-series.

2. GTX 680M draw less wattage than 670M, which means the same power adapter can be used with the 680M model as they now use in G75.

3. GTX 680M runs atleast 45% over 580M, and probably around 60% over 670M. A premium update for G76 and something Asus should be proud of to feature under their ROG stamp.

4. GTX 680M cost about $480 over 670M so this GPU should be optional, where Asus also will sell the same notebook with 660M/670M.

5. GTX 670M is not soldered on inside the G75 so the engineers should be able to swap it out. G75 also have MXM 3.0 type B which means it have all the thermals ready for 680M plus it can handle the GPU power wise since 3.0b is 100W max. But here comes the only problem I can find:

6. Asus use a non standard PCB shape which means there won`t be an easy switch from 670M to 680M routine available. Asus must engineer a new MXM card for the 680M and maybe possible a new notebook just for 680M since the card wont fit in the chassis. Solution? Make G76 for the 680M, a new lamborghini model for the high end. But and a big but, do NOT make it as hideous as the previous Lamborghini models. Make them just like G75, but with the nescessary design changes. Perhaps throw in some aluminum in the design to make it fresher and clean looking. Plus not to mention the increased thermal cooling that material have.
The best way possible was to make the 680M to fit inside the G75 so you can use the same chassis.

Am I on to what you were talking about? Asus is big, you can make these small changes in about a month so you won`t be late to the party. Feel free to msg me if you can`t discuss it openly.

ElectricYak
07-25-2012, 01:29 AM
Please hear the people in this thread, Asus:

I had set my heart on a G75 until I found out I couldn't configure it with a 680m. I have bought an Alienware instead. Considering the money I spent, I'm now not likely to buy an Asus any time soon. I'm sure there are many other people out there who have felt the same.

If many other manufacturers can include the 680m as an option, why not Asus? You're losing customers.

SHDZ
09-22-2012, 12:06 PM
The G55 is exactly what I want (nice design, good cooling, quiet, good screen). But I will wait to buy it until it is build with the GTX 680M!

SHDZ
11-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Hi ASUS/ROG developers.

Actually I didnt want to write about that issue anymore but since the newest NVIDIA GTX M is out, I have to.

Several times it was said here in the forum, that ASUS will not put the top GPU solution in their Notebooks. Well then, since NVIDIA has released the GTX 680MX which is about 13% faster than the GTX 680M which is therefore not the topest NVIDIA mobile-GPU anymore, I hope that ASUS now will build the G76 and the G56 with the GTX 680M GPU.

Anyway, ASUS/ROG if you are able to put the components of the G55 into the G46, you should as well be able to put the GTX 680M into the G56.

I would not mind if you spare the optical drive at the G56 as well and therefore provide the space for the GTX 680M, a 15mm HDD, and a mSATA bay which can be reached without loosing the warranty. An additional fingerprint reader would make the perfect gaming notebook!

Best wishes

hlorenzl
11-05-2012, 05:35 PM
what if asus would just offer this "best bang for the buck" while "capturing a crown". What I meant is that Asus should offer a "best buy" with the usual specs (specs for their mainstream customers) while offering an option for higher end specs (specs for their upper-part customers who crave for lappy power to run games at the maximum possible detail that the game can give) without losing, of course, their "reliability/durability" image - that is by designing a cooling system that would be able to cool the higher end specs as well as the mainstream specs. Since some customers can pay or are willing to pay several hundreds of bucks for the "higher to highest end specs" compared to those in the "medium to high end specs", why not just offer the option for an upgrade during purchase from the "medium to high end" to "higher to highest end" specs? Asus could set some certified shops/sellers that can do the customization before purchase (like in xoticPC where I bought my G55) while keeping the warranty intact.

Shawnnepc
11-05-2012, 07:43 PM
what if asus would just offer this "best bang for the buck" while "capturing a crown". What I meant is that Asus should offer a "best buy" with the usual specs (specs for their mainstream customers) while offering an option for higher end specs (specs for their upper-part customers who crave for lappy power to run games at the maximum possible detail that the game can give) without losing, of course, their "reliability/durability" image - that is by designing a cooling system that would be able to cool the higher end specs as well as the mainstream specs. Since some customers can pay or are willing to pay several hundreds of bucks for the "higher to highest end specs" compared to those in the "medium to high end specs", why not just offer the option for an upgrade during purchase from the "medium to high end" to "higher to highest end" specs? Asus could set some certified shops/sellers that can do the customization before purchase (like in xoticPC where I bought my G55) while keeping the warranty intact.

While in theory that sounds good, it'll be very expensive and a nightmare to handle

cl-scott
11-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi ASUS/ROG developers.

Actually I didn’t want to write about that issue anymore but since the newest NVIDIA GTX M is out, I have to.

Several times it was said here in the forum, that ASUS will not put the top GPU solution in their Notebooks. Well then, since NVIDIA has released the GTX 680MX which is about 13% faster than the GTX 680M which is therefore not the topest NVIDIA mobile-GPU anymore, I hope that ASUS now will build the G76… and the G56… with the GTX 680M GPU.

Anyway, ASUS/ROG if you are able to put the components of the G55 into the G46, you should as well be able to put the GTX 680M into the G56.

I would not mind if you spare the optical drive at the G56 as well and therefore provide the space for the GTX 680M, a 15mm HDD, and a mSATA bay which can be reached without loosing the warranty. An additional fingerprint reader would make the perfect gaming notebook!

Best wishes

You could teach an entire semester long college course on just the logistical reasons why this wouldn't work. Seriously.

Just the quick overview is that there's a delay between the time nVidia announces some chip and the time they have sufficient quantity fabbed for bulk orders like Asus would need. Then you have to make up a few sample prototype units and do some testing to figure out what, if any, design changes you may need to make. Every change you need to make then needs to be tested and may well lead to further changes in a cascading fashion. So say it requires a new AC adapter because the power demands are higher, or it needs a beefier fan. Now you have to design, build, and test a new AC adapter or fan, then you have to get sufficient quantity of that new part. Then it's not like you can just snap your fingers and magically make a few thousand units appear, it takes time for them to be assembled, packaged, shipped, etc.

Hopefully you're starting to get at least a small taste of what goes into building a computer. This is all still 10,000ft overview level. You could quite literally have a full semester long college class on this, and probably still not really do it justice. It is an extremely complex and interwoven situation.

chrsplmr
11-05-2012, 09:40 PM
WOW..cl... sometimes ur .. ummmm 'complex'...hehehee cudos.
All in the cycles of lives ..

.. with a touch of basic economics.c.

cl-scott
11-05-2012, 11:15 PM
WOW..cl... sometimes ur .. ummmm 'complex'...hehehee cudos.
All in the cycles of lives ..

.. with a touch of basic economics.c.

Sometimes I have to trade my customer loyalty hat for my Professor Billings hat. :D I've often said that if someone ever put me in charge of a university, with free reign to redesign the curriculum needed to get a degree it would be one of the single toughest programs in the country (maybe world). The few who would be able to get a degree would be among some of the best hires companies ever made. There won't be any of this nonsense of "I'm only going to study economics" or any other subject you care to name. You're going to get a comprehensive education about how all of those things fit together. POM, Translog, beancounting, even some marketing and management, not to mention a healthy dose of IT.

Now if someone goes to Ireland and manages to capture themselves a decent sized Leprechaun work force that can magically will things into existence, my education idea may become obsolete overnight, but somehow I'm not overly worried.

chrsplmr
11-06-2012, 12:12 AM
My brother .. 'they' would never 'allow' it .. because that would be producing 'free thinkers' .... gesh .. can't have that.

I understand there is a certain group of magical elves ripe for revolt .. the music alone is driving them nuts.
and I have always wondered of the flavor of red nosed venison steak ....
besides ... Viz caught the last of the 'others'... and uses him for a seat cushion..hehehhee.
or so ive heard.c.

cl-scott
11-06-2012, 12:38 AM
My brother .. 'they' would never 'allow' it .. because that would be producing 'free thinkers' .... gesh .. can't have that.

I understand there is a certain group of magical elves ripe for revolt .. the music alone is driving them nuts.
and I have always wondered of the flavor of red nosed venison steak ....
besides ... Viz caught the last of the 'others'... and uses him for a seat cushion..hehehhee.
or so ive heard.c.

Oi! What do you have to say for yourself you no-good Nigerian zombie prince?! [Vizzy] Stop hogging all the magic elves! You can have all the Keebler elves you want, no one will care, but keep your grubby undead hands off the magic elves! Besides, the Keebler elves probably have more supple skin and are fatter, so they make for better cushion material. Plus you have all that oil wealth, what do you need with pots of gold?

Zygomorphic
11-06-2012, 01:19 AM
@PrinceZombie [Hiviz], @SoldierZombie reporting for duty! :)

Vicerox
11-10-2012, 01:30 AM
While I feel it is true that the GTX 660 does not do justice to the ROG brand, you can't really blame ASUS.

It's Nvidia that screwed up the 6 Series, with their stupid branding strategy, the desktop version of the cards are just way better than the mobile version.

You should take a complete look at the 6 Series Chart and analyze the Fermi/Kepler mix up. The 680M will show up, eventually. New models are always incoming.

Skull6
11-10-2012, 02:27 AM
Even though I'm a noob, I'm quickly learning that, from a basic sort of view, there's little difference between laptops & desktops. They both have PSUs, CPUs, motherboards, etc. & they both have "components." When I was building some of my home desktops, if I REALLY wanted a specific component, I did some research, went out, got it, & installed it. I would suggest that those of you who just can't live without a ROG laptop & the 680M card go get both personally, & put both together to meet your needs. But let me stress the word "research" I mentioned previously--or else you might find that 1) that 680M card is still difficult to obtain due to lack of supply, 2) the 680M card just might be more expensive than you've anticipated or 3) the card might not physically marry up to the vid card slot in the laptop or otherwise fit in the space provided.

Please don't forget that Asus is a customer of Nvidia. While they can ask, Asus can't dictate to Nvidia as they can within their own company.

Good luck.

Zygomorphic
11-10-2012, 11:25 AM
#3 is true, @Skull6.
#2 is often true
#1 is true because of #3 - ASUS doesn't make them. :(