PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Factory HDD with a new Hybrid SSD/HDD

Dennis St. John
06-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Hello All,

I am wanting to replace the factory hard drive that came with the G75VW with a hybrid SSD/HDD Seagate Momentus I have purchased and need a little help. I've tried doing the recovery DVD thing (creating the 4 DVDs and re-imaging the new drive) and cannot get the system to boot after it is finished (I get some sort of error message saying it cannot boot). Should I not be going about this using the ASUS Recovery DVD method? I have also tried using Macrium Reflect to image the original HD to the new drive but Macrium doesn't even recognize my main drive for some strange reason.

What is the process here? Any help is sincerely and greatly appreciated! Need to get this done and get my operation back up and running! Thanks!

My intent then is to obviously use the included HDD as a secondary HDD, but just seem to be challenged in this particular process. Again, any help appreciated!

Destroyer99
06-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Why didnt you just get a actual SSD instead of the hybrid SSD/HDD and have the HDD that came with the laptop as 2nd drive.

Dennis St. John
06-30-2012, 04:26 PM
For me, all about space. I need as much space as possible. I am a video producer and large SSDs are simply cost prohibitive right now. Maybe in another year. For now, the hybrid is a great workaround and it really is much faster, at least in OS & App loading than a standard HDD.

john_from_ohio
06-30-2012, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=Dennis St. John;123485]Hello All,

I am wanting to replace the factory hard drive that came with the G75VW with a hybrid SSD/HDD Seagate Momentus I have purchased and need a little help. I've tried doing the recovery DVD thing (creating the 4 DVDs and re-imaging the new drive) and cannot get the system to boot after it is finished (I get some sort of error message saying it cannot boot).[\QUOTE]

Have you taken a look at the threads here ( G75-G55-IMPORTANT-USEFUL-THREADS (http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?149-G75-G55-IMPORTANT-amp-USEFUL-THREADS) )?

Follow my posting on what to do first and then you use Cecils guide on recovering from the recovery DVDs.

Several things to note:
1) get an updated Asus recovery utility in place before burning your first set of DVDs ( and after un-installing the asus live update utility ).

If you burn a set of recovery DVDs "before" applying the update the recovery process has issues with larger drives ... will not complete ... we know it has issues with 1 TB drives ... might have issues with others.

If you get the Asus recovery utility updated BEFORE burning your recovery DVDs the newer set of recovery DVDs will work with 1 TB ( and probably larger ) drives. We have tested it.

If you created your recovery DVDs "too early" you can use them on a smaller drive and do the recovery and then eventually ... use that drive to update Asus recovery utility on and FINALLY get a correct set of recovery DVDs. Poor quality control by asus on releasing it out of the box without a good job of testing here.

2) Follow Cecils guide on recovering with DVDs ... pull out from your laptop everything except for the single drive you are recovering onto while on the process.

It is also possible that some firmware upgrades are needed on your hybrid drive. What kind exactly are you putting in ( what are the specs etc )?

Dennis St. John
06-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Ok, to answer the simple questions first, yes, I have exhausted this forum and have thoroughly read through and followed to the letter the step-by-step guides. My computer came with the newest version of the AI Recovery (1.024) so all good there. I just tried this again and am posting some screenshots. It doesn't even look like my new HD is being recognized by the bios. Strange since it is writing to the HD during the recovery process. My hard drive is this one:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0383894

I am posting some screenshots of what comes up when I boot up.

Immediately after Recovery process completes

(this is the screen after hitting ESC during bootup

Bios shot where HD should be listed but is not.

Again, any further assistance greatly appreciated!

john_from_ohio
06-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Well hard to guess exactly ... ( but shot in the dark ideas follow anyhow ).

Are your recovery DVDs based on updated Asus recovery utility or the factory shipped out initial version. Just curious on this part ... a 750 gb should work with the initial version.

Wondering if it is your machine somehow or the drive somehow ... can you put in any other ( even much smaller potentially ) drive into it and check if the recovery process works like that? ( Trying to point the finger at the drive in other words ).

Another option for checking out hardware involved is to download a Win 7 install disk iso that includes SP1 and then test out doing a fresh install onto the hybrid drive to see if you get a viable/bootable system that way.

Dennis St. John
06-30-2012, 07:14 PM
All great ideas! Thanks and I will continue working to see where the problem is.

Also, after further analysis in the bios, the machine / bios does actually see the Seagate Hybrid 750GB drive. See screenshot below.

Next, I am going to try another HD... sure I have one lying around here somewhere to see if at least the Recovery process works with the discs I created on another drive.

In any event, I'll keep plugging away at this.

Thanks!

Dennis St. John
06-30-2012, 09:16 PM
This might be a good notebook. I have no idea. Time will tell. It certainly looks to have potential. But... ASUS should at least ship the hardware with tried and tested software out the door. Right now, I am not able to restore my factory system to a new hard drive without jumping through a bunch of hoops, because of some oversight on ASUS' part, which is discouraging.

colcar
07-01-2012, 12:14 AM
I hear your rant. I've spent the last 12 hours trying to get the recovery DVDs to install everything on a new SSD. Keep coming up with the exact same problem after the recovery process finishes. The funny thing is that the SSD is recognized in the SATA configuration page in bios, but not in the boot page. Also tried a regular W7 install without luck. I think it is something to do with the new drive not being mounted properly so the bios doesn't see it when booting.

I really hope someone can help because I'm pulling my hair out here.

john_from_ohio
07-01-2012, 12:20 AM
I hear your rant. I've spent the last 12 hours trying to get the recovery DVDs to install everything on a new SSD. Keep coming up with the exact same problem after the recovery process finishes. The funny thing is that the SSD is recognized in the SATA configuration page in bios, but not in the boot page. Also tried a regular W7 install without luck.

My system ( G75VW BBK5 ) is up on BIOS 207 ... are both of you guys up on that version? ( Do not do the BIOS update under windows ).

Is your OCZ SSD drive up to date with latest OCZ firmware? We had a couple of people with issues on the new Asus systems running OCZ SSDs not quite sure but thought those problems were straightened up with last OCZ firmware.

My Intel 520 sata 3 ssd is a beast!

Dennis St. John
07-01-2012, 12:42 AM
OK! I've got some good progress to report! Not wanting to chance whether I had the most up-to-date version of the AI Recovery Utility, I went to the ASUS website for the G75VW, downloaded it and installed it. Upon install, it said that it "patched" something on the existing Recovery Partition, so, I thought that was a good sign. I proceeded to make new Recovery DVDs (it made 4) and went through the recovery process with my new 750GB hybrid drive. I am happy to report after the recovery DVDs finished loading, it booted up the drive and it is currently re-building, which is further than I ever got. Update, I am now watching the Windows "loading first time use" (or something like that) screen, meaning I think I'm almost done! So, bottom line here is I can now say with confidence I had the wrong AI Recovery utility and the Recovery DVDs were bad, as shipped by ASUS. So, again, shame on ASUS for not testing this further before shipping. Lots of hours wasted and family time stolen!

Now I am going to do the same thing with a new Sandisk Extreme 480GB SSD and really try to make this notebook faster!

Colcar - go download and install the latest version of the AI Recovery Utility. I'll bet you'll make it much further!

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll continue to keep us posted as I wrap things up here.

dstrakele
07-01-2012, 12:59 AM
If performance is your goal, you don't want to stink up your shiny new SSD with all those ASUS Bloatware apps launching processes and using resources. Do a clean Windows 7 installation instead. You can always add any of the Bloatware apps you like...

Dennis St. John
07-01-2012, 01:03 AM
I completely hear you. What is the best way to load a clean install of Win 7 on this laptop? And then you have to load all the drivers manually, correct? Couldn't I just uninstall all the bloatware?

john_from_ohio
07-01-2012, 01:10 AM
I completely hear you. What is the best way to load a clean install of Win 7 on this laptop? And then you have to load all the drivers manually, correct? Couldn't I just uninstall all the bloatware?

Dstrakele has strong opinions here and everyone is welcome to their own opinions.

Personally I see no impact on my system after uninstalling the Asus Live Update utility and disabling the instant on feature. That's all I did ... and my system flies. Perhaps some of the older machines had more "stuff" on them.

If you do a complete fresh install then you are missing some handy stuff like Cyberlink etc ... if you have other stuff that is better fine.

*** Of course you also want to make sure mcaffee is not on the system and ( maybe ) akamai net session interface.

dstrakele
07-01-2012, 01:37 AM
You can hear me? Bloody hell!! Did I leave the microphone on?!?! Oh, I guess it's just a figure of speech... See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?795-quot-Only-the-paranoid-survive-quot-Andy-Grove-Co-founder-Intel-Corp.&highlight=paranoid+microphone

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds seems like a well-thought out guide, but you can find others in this and many other forums.

You will need to install about a dozen device drivers, but wouldn't you want to have the most up to date ones rather than the already stale drivers in the ASUS Factory hidden partition? Go to the ASUS web site, head to the driver download section, enter your model# and OS version, look at the driver developer and version for a device, then open a new tab, go to the developer site and get their latest release. You really only need the ASUS ATK Package for function key functionality.

Install the Intel Chipset driver first, REBOOT, then install the Next driver, REBOOT, etc., until you're done. Except for the Chipset driver (which doesn't like it), I install all other drivers by rebooting into Safe Mode. This disables other running drivers (such as Antivirus) that may potentially interfere with the current driver installation.

Some of the ASUS Bloatware apps are heavily intertwined with the OS. Some users have run into problems after uninstalling them. I suspect it may be because they are not uninstalling cleanly, leaving remnants in the registry that cause problems. The clean, squeaky, new registry of a fresh Windows 7 installation is what every performance seeker desires...

You can ALWAYS install ANY of the ASUS applications to your clean Windows installation. AND you can choose to install them to the HDD if you don't want them taking up space on your SSD.

Dennis St. John
07-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Thanks John! And in all honesty, now that I've got my system up and running, I think I'll be sticking with my new 750GB hybrid here too... With your recommendations of some of the software removal (which I agree with), my system is now flying and booting up at least 3x if not faster than the standard 7200 RPM HDD. Again, the drive I have is here:

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/momentus-xt-hybrid/

I find this to be a good balanced mix / compromise of speed and storage space... the best of both worlds if you will. Large SSDs are still very cost prohibitive. I know that'll get better over time as it always does.

Now on to more re-building, software loading and testing (to see what this thing can really do!) Thanks again so much for your help and guidance!