PDA

View Full Version : G75VW cannot clone factory HDD with Macrium Reflect

Dennis St. John
06-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Does anyone have any idea why I am unable to see my primary partition and anything else on the factory installed HDD with Macrium Reflect? I would love be to able to make images of the partitions but am unable to.

Guitarmaker
07-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Does anyone have any idea why I am unable to see my primary partition and anything else on the factory installed HDD with Macrium Reflect? I would love be to able to make images of the partitions but am unable to.

Macrium Reflect does not support GPT in their free and standard versions. You will need the Professional version for imaging the G75.

rabbert.klein
07-14-2012, 12:44 AM
1. Download kubuntu
2. burn to disc or install on a USB drive
3. boot from it
4. launch console
5. Type in ls /dev/sd* and note the sda sdb entries.
6. Determine the source and destination drive using parted Type in "sudo parted /dev/sda"
7. Press "p" to print the drive information, record the make model and partitions to determine if this is your primary drive. "q" quits without doing anything then repeat using "sudo parted /dev/sdb" so on so forth until you know which drive is which.
8. Once you've determined the drive to clone type in the following sudo "dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb conv=sync,noerror bs=64M" (assumes your primary drive to clone is /dev/sda and destination is /dev/sdb. Be careful with your if and of because if you reverse it you'll write the blank drive to your data drive.
9. Wait patiently as dd doesn't output anything until it is done.
10. Profit