PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-BBK5 upgrade questions

nightstalker673
06-30-2012, 11:27 PM
This is my first post on these forums. I recently bought a G75VW-BBK5 from bestbuy and i want to make a few upgrades to the machine. I used to build computer systems for my buddies back when winXP was released; so i am somewhat knowledgeable but i lost track of technology over the last several years and i need some pointers.

1.) If i am going to upgrade the HDD on this laptop with a Crucial 256GB SSD do i want THIS ONE (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2336435) or THIS ONE (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=365476&CatId=5300)?
One is sata and the other is sata III, i dont know which one i need.

2.) If i want to upgrade the ram to 16gb from the stock 8GB do i need to buy two 8gb sticks or or there 4 slots total and two are empty? I've read on these forums both ways, so which is it? also would i buy 1600 ram or what? exactly what should i buy? assuming there are two empty slots i imagine i need to buy two 4gb 1600 ram sticks, correct?

3.) I have already upraded the recovery software and burnt the dvd's. i also downloaded win7 64bit and burnt to a dvd as well as downloaded all drivers and backed them up to a usb stick. when i get my SSD i do not want a recovery partition on either drive. I dont want it on the SSD or on the 1TB drive. what software do i need to do this? how exactly do i do this? i read the recovery dvds FORCE you to make a recovery partition.

let me know if anything is wrong with this plan:
1. use partition software to delete OS and recovery partitions on 1TB drive, create a single partition using entire contents of the drive.
2. install SSD in primary slot and remove 1TB drive temporarily.
3. install win7 64bit from the win7 dvd i downloaded and burnt to disc, upgrade windows and install drivers.
4. install 1TB drive in secondary slot.

what partition software do you recommend?

thanks for helping me out

john_from_ohio
06-30-2012, 11:45 PM
let me know if anything is wrong with this plan:
1. use partition software to delete OS and recovery partitions on 1TB drive, create a single partition using entire contents of the drive.
2. install SSD in primary slot and remove 1TB drive temporarily.
3. install win7 64bit from the win7 dvd i downloaded and burnt to disc, upgrade windows and install drivers.
4. install 1TB drive in secondary slot.

what partition software do you recommend?

thanks for helping me out

I like this partition management software ( although you can do it all in windows and/or via dos command prompts ) ( Partition wizard (http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-manager-server.html) ) there is a free home version that is fully functional. Plus well you really should create a bootable DVD with it on to use when needed.

Your plan sounds pretty good ... make sure that the Win 7 64 bit install disk includes SP1 already.

As an alternative to a fresh install ( which will require you to re-install a bunch of drivers which can be found from asus site ) you can recover the current OS from recovery DVDs and then ( immediately uninstall asus live update ) take out whatever asus stuff you do not want. Me personally I find little bloatware but everyone has different opinions.

Immediately after doing whatever you do get an antivirus/firewall combination in place and get it updated and do windows updating. Do not try any of this updating unless somewhere behind a firewall ... your system may get compromised too quickly if in any kind of semi public place ... and might get compromised in a corporate setting unless it is protected pretty well.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Holy
07-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Night you only need 2x4gb sticks. there are 4 total but 2 you cannot see or access easily.

john_from_ohio
07-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Sorry yes you want Sata III SSD ( Sata II will work but slower ) and yes 2 4 gb 1600 sticks of RAM ...

F34R
07-01-2012, 01:13 AM
I've always just used the Windows 7 advanced drive options.... you can delete the entire partitions, and then partition it again to use the entire space. Never have I had to remove any drives to install the other drive, install windows, then install the previous drive.

Cecil_2099
07-01-2012, 04:47 AM
1.) Buy the SATA III one. I have that one and am very pleased with it. When you get it, go to Crucial's website and download the firmware update. I had trouble updating the firmware from windows so I had to prepare a bootable USB drive (Crucial provides a program for that).

2.) There are 4 slots total on the G75VW and two of them are empty and user-accessible under the bottom panel (the other two require removal of the keyboard). So you can just buy two 4GB 1600 sticks and pop them in and call it a day.

3.) Make sure the Win7 64bit version you burned is SP1. Yes, the recovery DVDs essentially re-create the recovery partition first then the system uses the recovery partition to restore the computer. Before you go about deleting partitions, I would test the DVDs out just in case. A sure fire way to get rid of the partitions is to use a partition management software to delete all of them. Or you can use DBAN to nuke the hard-drive (single-pass write 0's to the drive).

As for partition software, there's some good choices on the Ultimate Boot CD: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html It also includes DBAN.

fallguy
08-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm in the process of doing basically the same as Nightstalker, so thanks to all for the info. However, I have more of a "First Step" question.

How do you get the darn bottom panel off to get to the drive bays!?!? Yes I have removed the single screw, but the panel won't lift up! I've tried to "GENTLY" pry up with a blade, but the panel just bulges up a bit; any further pressure and I'm afraid that it will break! Any suggestions, Please.

Semper Fidelis,

fallguy
G75VW-TS72

c_man
08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Look at this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nsPU9ERnA

I think you are doing the same.

Just use a flat head and gently pop it up from screw position to both sides. It will come out.

I can't imagine why Asus did this.

chrsplmr
08-25-2012, 03:28 PM
c_man+ .. and great helpful Sig.bro.c.

fallguy
08-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Look at this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nsPU9ERnA

I think you are doing the same.

Just use a flat head and gently pop it up from screw position to both sides. It will come out.

I can't imagine why Asus did this.

Thanks so much c-man!!! Just what I needed (confidence) to get on with it. SF, fallguy

nightstalker673
03-17-2014, 05:13 AM
IS THIS THE CORRECT MEMORY FOR G75VW-BBK5? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8021852&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10&body=REVIEWS#CustomerReviewsBlock

McRom37
05-18-2017, 06:50 AM
I like this partition management software ( although you can do it all in windows and/or via dos command prompts ) ( Partition wizard (http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-manager-server.html) ) there is a free home version that is fully functional. Plus well you really should create a bootable DVD with it on to use when needed.

Your plan sounds pretty good ... make sure that the Win 7 64 bit install disk includes SP1 already.

As an alternative to a fresh install ( which will require you to re-install a bunch of drivers which can be found from asus site ) you can recover the current OS from recovery DVDs and then ( immediately uninstall asus live update ) take out whatever asus stuff you do not want. Me personally I find little bloatware but everyone has different opinions.

Immediately after doing whatever you do get an antivirus/firewall combination in place and get it updated and do windows updating. Do not try any of this updating unless somewhere behind a firewall ... your system may get compromised too quickly if in any kind of semi public place ... and might get compromised in a corporate setting unless it is protected pretty well.

Good luck and keep us posted!

From:McRom37, can the Asus G75VW be upgraded, but not just the video card it self, but the core processor as well???currently my ASUS G75VW, has the i7 @ 2.30GHz and it cant perform well in Adobe After Efeects, on Element 3D.It Runs Laggy, slow, And it just can not keep up.At times when i open a google browser it takes its time.It should not be a problimatic Laptop,Its a gaming laptop for criss sake.i wanted to replace the core with the i7 @ 3,70GHz 04 4.00GHz.Would that be possible??? i hope so.Before i thought adding more Ram would make it lighting faster, it helps but it just dosent liy there.one needs a little more of everthing to boost the performance of your Gaming Laptop.Well hope your able to reply with some good news thank you.