PDA

View Full Version : Noise/humming in microphone while playing games

Estatus
07-01-2012, 12:29 AM
I've experienced strange static-like or humming noise coming from my end when talking while playing games. Friends have complained before when speaking over ventrilo so I decided to record how it sounded like when the mic was on during a game session, and indeed I heard this annoying noise in the background. I returned my first card for a new one, but the issue was consistent. Tried both the drivers on the CD as well as the latest drivers from the ASUS page. I've also tired moving the sound card to the slot farthest away from the GPU card since I've been advised by the support at my store as well as on other forums to do so as there can be interference between the soundcard and the graphics card; but this boggles me since, not only is this an expensive high-end ROG sound card, but there is also a case built on the card itself to protect it from any kind of interference from other devices on the computer.

To listen to how it sounds like visit this video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3E-uhY-TJ4&feature=colike

Chickenz
07-01-2012, 02:26 AM
I too am experiencing this. Even if I completely mute the game audio. There is interference only during gameplay.

I never experienced this issue with my Xonar D2X. Even when it was right next to my HD6990

Estatus
07-01-2012, 12:08 PM
I also tried placing the sound card above the GPU card to take more advantage of the protective casing on the sound card, but alas same results; rendering the casing pretty useless?

Hagge
07-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't have that problem, yet...But does the problem appear when you mute your mic or when your not talking?

Estatus
07-01-2012, 02:50 PM
I don't have that problem, yet...But does the problem appear when you mute your mic or when your not talking?

The noise disappears only when I mute the mic.

Hagge
07-01-2012, 08:21 PM
The noise disappears only when I mute the mic.

So that noise is still when your speaking too? Must be annoying as hell then, cause I wouldnt be able to focus on what your saying:/

Estatus
07-02-2012, 12:14 AM
So that noise is still when your speaking too? Must be annoying as hell then, cause I wouldnt be able to focus on what your saying:/

Yes it is, even when I plug in an external mic through the ROG volume controller (or even directly to the sound card). I've managed to reduce some of the noise level by adjusting the mic boost (obviously) but what you hear on the youtube video is when it's recorded without the mic boost. To me this is a huge let-down and a disappointment for such a "high-end" sound card.

thegovernment
07-02-2012, 05:35 AM
I also have been having that problem with the mic, humming and sounding like a helicopter. though mine is not all the time, it comes and goes. I'm using vent.

ahhbility
07-03-2012, 04:00 AM
I'm having this exact same problem with an Asus Xonar Essence STX and playing BF3. It seems to not happen when playing any other games.

Here's a recording of what mine sounds like:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gy39w20ddfjr933

I hope someone comes along with a solution sooner than later..

Estatus
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm having this exact same problem with an Asus Xonar Essence STX and playing BF3. It seems to not happen when playing any other games.

That sounds almost identical to the sound I'm experiencing with Xonar Phoebus. I've spoken with people on other forums that have similar issues with Xonar D2X and such, but I don't understand why such an issue should persist on an expensive high-end card like the Phoebus or the STX.

xjoey83x
07-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Did you check to see if your computer is properly grounded? I was experiencing a buzzing/humm sound whenever I used my microphone connected to my Phoebus. Eventually found out my PC was not grounded properly.

ahhbility
07-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Well, I found a solution after tons of research. Unfortunately, I don't think it will work for everyone.

The sound has something to do with the capacitors on the video card. The higher the pitch usually coincides with higher FPS.

So, since I knew the interference was coming from my video card, I moved my video card and sound card as far apart as they could be in my case.

The problem went away and I no longer have the annoying buzz. Like I said, not everyone has the motherboard or space to do this, so it will only work for some.

I've read that some people cover their capacitors in nail polish to get rid of similar problems. I wasn't about to try that and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're very confident in doing so.

Estatus
07-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Well, I found a solution after tons of research. Unfortunately, I don't think it will work for everyone.

The sound has something to do with the capacitors on the video card. The higher the pitch usually coincides with higher FPS.

So, since I knew the interference was coming from my video card, I moved my video card and sound card as far apart as they could be in my case.

The problem went away and I no longer have the annoying buzz. Like I said, not everyone has the motherboard or space to do this, so it will only work for some.

I've read that some people cover their capacitors in nail polish to get rid of similar problems. I wasn't about to try that and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're very confident in doing so.

That's what I've tried doing without any positive results, and I have a pretty big motherboard, an X58 socket 1366. But it might be due to how huge my graphics card is, it's a GTX580 with DCII cooler, so it does take a lot of room. I might try tomorrow by setting my sound card to the first PCIE slot and having the graphics card in the slot farthest down/away, though I'm worried the graphics card might be so big it will hit the PSU; and yes, I'm also using a full tower case. But we'll see how it pans out tomorrow, and thanks for the input ahhbility.

thegovernment
07-03-2012, 11:04 PM

Thats the same as mine although mine will sound like a helicopter also in Vent on occasion.

ahhbility
07-04-2012, 12:04 AM
That's what I've tried doing without any positive results, and I have a pretty big motherboard, an X58 socket 1366. But it might be due to how huge my graphics card is, it's a GTX580 with DCII cooler, so it does take a lot of room. I might try tomorrow by setting my sound card to the first PCIE slot and having the graphics card in the slot farthest down/away, though I'm worried the graphics card might be so big it will hit the PSU; and yes, I'm also using a full tower case. But we'll see how it pans out tomorrow, and thanks for the input ahhbility.

Estatus,

I re-set everything and have the setup you're suggesting. The audio card is in the slot closest to my CPU and my GTX 580 is in the 2nd PCIe slot further furthest away.

Hagge
07-04-2012, 12:03 PM
My friend have the exact buzzing noice...when I ask them about my mic, they all tell me that its quite.

And I can confirm that the distance between GPU and Soundcard must be the solution...I have my Soundcard on a x16 slot PCI-E..which is the first PCI-E slot on the motherboard, the top one. Then in the middle I got my GPU and that takes my 3rd PCI-E slot, cause I got a artic cooler on the GPU, which makes it bigger. But the distance between the first slot and the middle slot, is about 2-3 cm, which is perfect...and that must be it like someone mentioned before.

I did this setup just to check if the soundcard would crash in bf3. Raja from Asus made a thread that it could prevent bf3 and punkbuster crashes for a while..

Candergart
07-11-2012, 09:32 PM
deleted and reposted

Candergart
07-11-2012, 09:35 PM
The buzzing actually follows the FPS change in the GFX card.

I am experiencing this with BF3.
Mobo, VGA and Sound are all ASUS.

Mobo: P6TD DELUXE
Snd: Asus Xonar Essence STX
VGA: Asus Nvidia Geforce 480 GTX

My friends on Teamspeak tells me it sounds like I am running a moped or a lawnmower in the bakground.
It is highly annoying and not something I expect from a good soundcard.

Is there no solution from Asus regarding this?
I have tried Grounding the computer and tried to move around the cards although the videocard needs to be in the top due to cooling.

/Roger Candergart

ADDED 2012-08-01 10:10 Swedish time

Asus support have told me to talk to the retailer about RMA.
I tried my card in another computer now and the same problem existed there.

It would be nice to know if there was anyone that really did not have this problem.

A simple test , plug in a microphone, activate "listen" so that you hear yourself realtime, open a browser and scroll up and down.. do you hear any disturbances?

if yes , welcome to the club.
If no, start a game , still no sounds (something like lawnmower sounds or moped sounds) ? then you are in luck.

My guess is that this card or these cards even, have a design flaw.

PS.
has anyone else been overly whelmed by the massive bugs/problems with any asus online service lately?
I experience atleast 3-4 of them on a daily basis

.DS

stephengillon
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Same problem here with mic humming during 3d applications, i reported it a week after i had it on the problem list post and it was ignored.

i cannot move my cards around i have two 580 water cooled and the card has to be between them.

i just went back to my xfi fatality.

your welcome asus for a 200 dollar donation, got myself a nice useless sound card.

you would think the rog team would have experianced this with the amount of gfx's they run on there systems.

and yes my system is properly grounded im a journeyman electrician

x7007
07-12-2012, 03:33 AM
I think the fix is to use the Nvidia Frame Rate Target and no vsync. so it will cap to 60FPS and you won't have any buzz, i think i had it too in youtube movies like annoying buzz when i am moving the volume up and down in the flash volume, and again, i am not so sure, but i don't have it anymore with my headphones 600ohms DT990 Prem

Menta
07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
have the same problem here.
i started experiencing this as soon as i changed platform,before i had no problem with a q6600 on a p5q e.
now i'm with an i5 760 on a p7h55-m pro.
the motherboard is Uatx,so i can't move neither the soundcard(xonar d2x) or the gpu(6950).
it happens,like for all of you,just when i open a 3d application.
it would be ridicolous if it'd happen on any dedicated soundcard,but on this high end soundcards it's just depressing.

Candergart
07-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I think the fix is to use the Nvidia Frame Rate Target and no vsync. so it will cap to 60FPS and you won't have any buzz, i think i had it too in youtube movies like annoying buzz when i am moving the volume up and down in the flash volume, and again, i am not so sure, but i don't have it anymore with my headphones 600ohms DT990 Prem

This is not a solution as it would only lock the tone/frequency of the buzzing , not removing it.

Asus actually replied to me, stating that I should disable all power saving functions in my bios and if that didnt help then I should try another powersupply.

Problem is, I do not own a computer store, I do not have the option of just buying a power supply for testing purposes.

I feel kind of annoyed since the main reason for getting the card was so that my sound quality in voip-apps would improve.
But instead it got worse.

Best Regards
Roger Candergart

Estatus
07-17-2012, 11:08 AM
This is not a solution as it would only lock the tone/frequency of the buzzing , not removing it.

Asus actually replied to me, stating that I should disable all power saving functions in my bios and if that didnt help then I should try another powersupply.

Problem is, I do not own a computer store, I do not have the option of just buying a power supply for testing purposes.

I feel kind of annoyed since the main reason for getting the card was so that my sound quality in voip-apps would improve.

Best Regards
Roger Candergart

I, on other hand, did have access to additional power supplies since I have a second computer with a different rig, not to mention a brother's PC I could try it out on; and using a different PSU did not solve this issue.

jmlnet
07-23-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm having the same problem. Motherboard is Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe. Video card is a 4gb gtx 680. The audio and video cards are as far apart as possible.

Very lame. Doubt this can be fixed in software.

DTHCoCo
08-07-2012, 08:02 AM
I really wanted one of these cards but with this bug i think not! It's really hard to find a great sound card. We spend such big dollars on Graphics cards and this is one of the most expensive sound cards for $200 go figure. I Want a High Quailty sound card to suit our High Quailty Headphones available today I wouldn't care if it was twice the price but we demmand quailty!

Estatus
08-08-2012, 02:29 AM
Another suggestion I've gotten is to try a USB microphone since it uses digital-to-digital which eliminates any chances of white noise or interference, since it has been reported earlier that using microphones through analog-to-digital (3.5mm jack) pick up interferences no matter what soundcard you use. However, this option almost eliminates the purpose of the Phoebus's built-in microphone since it's 3.5mm only.

LinchpinZero
09-07-2012, 12:13 AM
I've had this card since day 1, and since day one this has been an issue for me. I even switched out cases (Silverstone Raven 2 to a Corsair 800D), motherboards (Asus Crosshair V to Asus Maximus V Formula & Intel i7) and made an entire new liquid cooled loop to see if that would help. Nope, sound is still there in my Vent server when chatting online and playing games. Asus, answer please? Or refund?

HOODedDutchman
09-14-2012, 05:35 PM
OK SO my first time posting. I do not have a solution. But, the problem is Asus sound card + nvidia gpu. I got a 660ti yesterday (msi power edition) to try out as I was debating on trading my 7950 oc edition. Of course under load I got the same problem as the rest of you. Weird noise when speaking through mic. So I screwed around with sound driver or whatever for the hell of it. Since it was only under load tho I knew it was the video card. Swapped it out and put my 7950 back in. Guess what, no noise, completely gone. I have no idea y and am pissed because I wanted some Batman physx action, but I frequent my clans ventrilo server so cannot deal with the noise.

jmlnet
09-14-2012, 06:04 PM
I considered whether it was caused by the new nvidia gpus. For those of us experiencing the problem, what gpu?

HOODedDutchman
09-14-2012, 08:42 PM
I read the whole thread and everyone who posted there gpu was nvidia. I'm swapping for a sound blaster tonight ill tell you guys if it fixes the problem. I hope its not the sound card I'd like to stay Asus.

HOODedDutchman
09-15-2012, 02:54 PM
After HOURS of tweaking the sound blaster titanium I got I got it working decent and mic problem, while still having a very low hum is pretty much gone. Much better than the xonar. Sound is nothing compared to the xonar tho. Asus PLEASE fix :-(

xtxjim
09-17-2012, 07:16 AM
Same problem,u fix it?

HOODedDutchman
09-17-2012, 07:59 PM
nope. just using the creative for now i guess. got rid of the small buzzing i still had in my sound (not the mic) by removing a usb plug that lit the storm sign on my cm storm sirus headset. weird issue.

wipspeed
09-18-2012, 04:16 AM
i have the same problem.

while using voice chat. people ore saying its sounds like
i have a lawn-mower running in the back ground.
and when i jump into a game like Dirt 3 the lawn-mower sounds turn into a Air-Force

right now ATM. i'm using a Recorn3D and yeah i know its Sh*t compared to the Xonar Phoebus. but it works find well the Phoebus sound is way more amazing when the card is working right. i'm probably gonna plug my X-Fi Titanium in again.

I hope that Asus ROG will come up with a Fix for this anytime soon

Raja@ASUS
09-18-2012, 11:15 AM
i have the same problem.

while using voice chat. people ore saying its sounds like
i have a lawn-mower running in the back ground.
and when i jump into a game like Dirt 3 the lawn-mower sounds turn into a Air-Force

right now ATM. i'm using a Recorn3D and yeah i know its Sh*t compared to the Xonar Phoebus. but it works find well the Phoebus sound is way more amazing when the card is working right. i'm probably gonna plug my X-Fi Titanium in again.

I hope that Asus ROG will come up with a Fix for this anytime soon

Can you provide me with full system specs?

I have a system setup here running 3-way SLI and the Phoebus. Want to see if I can replicate.

wipspeed
09-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Can you provide me with full system specs?

I have a system setup here running 3-way SLI and the Phoebus. Want to see if I can replicate.

Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU: i7 3930K 4.6Ghz
CPU Cooling: Corsair H100 "Push Pull Config"
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 4GB SuperClocked+ in 3-Way SLI
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3 1866Mhz Quad Channel
SoundCard: Recorn3D PCI-e
PSU: CM Silent Pro Gold 1200w
Monitor: 3x Acer GD245HQ 120Hz 3D Ready.

i tested the Phoebus with out the drivers and it had the exact same problem.
so i don't think its driver base but more likely hardware base

anyways i sended back the Xonar Phoebus. but i am gonna buy it again IF this problem gets fixed.

Raja@ASUS
09-18-2012, 01:56 PM
I just tested the follwoing:

CPU: i7 3930K 4.2Ghz
CPU Cooling: HK WC 3.0
GPU: ASUS 570 GTX in 3-Way SLI - latest WHQL drivers
Ram: GSKILL Ripjaws-Z 4 x 4GB DDR3 2133Mhz Quad Channel
SoundCard: Phoebus - beta driver
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Monitor: 1x VG236 120Hz 3D Ready.

Sound card is in the last slot, cards in 3-way above. Using Vulcan headset plugged into the external volume box. I only hear background noise if the Gain Boost is to +30dB. The mic on these phones is sensitive, so they don't need the boost.

I just called HiVizMan while playing DOW II Retribution and he said I was crystal clear the whole way through.

So here's what i would suggest if you are getting noise:

1) Reduce Gain Boost if possible - good mics don't need it at +30. This should reduce internal noise pickup. The gain at default is quite sensitive already. I would not be surprised if many people have their Gain Boost set too high.

2) For those of you hearing an "echo", untick the check box in the Phoebus control panel mic volume control. This will disable voice playback.

If you do need +30dB of boost on your mic, I would suggest you are careful about routing wires close to the Phoebus and keeping it away from other cards (where possible). Otherwise for crystal clear sound, I suggest using a mic that does not need high levels of Gain Boost. There is also the chance that you have left Gain Boost at +30dB when it is not even needed, in which case reducing it should help alleviate any noise pickup.

-Raja

HiVizMan
09-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Just want to confirm that for the duration of the entire skype call there was no humm, or anything like that. In fact the sound was crystal and heaps better than his normal skype via laptop. The full gambit of settings was tested while in game. Total call duration 1 hour and 14 minutes.

wipspeed
09-18-2012, 02:47 PM
I just tested the follwoing:

CPU: i7 3930K 4.2Ghz
CPU Cooling: HK WC 3.0
GPU: ASUS 570 GTS 4GB in 3-Way SLI - latest WHQL drivers
Ram: GSKILL Ripjaws-Z 4 x 4GB DDR3 2133Mhz Quad Channel
SoundCard: Phoebus - beta driver
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Monitor: 1x VG236 120Hz 3D Ready.

Sound card is in the last slot, cards in 3-way above. Using Vulcan headset plugged into the external volume box. I only hear background noise if the Gain Boost is to +30dB. The mic on these phones is sensitive, so they don't need the boost.

I just called HiVizMan while playing DOW II Retribution and he said I was crystal clear the whole way through.

So here's what i would suggest if you are getting noise:

1) Reduce Gain Boost if possible - good mics don't need it at +30. This should reduce internal noise pickup. The gain at default is quite sensitive already. I would not be surprised if many people have their Gain Boost set too high.

2) For those of you hearing an "echo", untick the check box in the Phoebus control panel mic volume control. This will disable voice playback.

If you do need 30dB of boost on your mic, I would suggest you are careful about routing wires close to the Phoebus and keeping it away from other cards (where possible). Otherwise for crystal clear sound, I suggest using a mic that does not need high levels of Gain Boost. There is also the chance that you have left Gain Boost at default when it is not even needed, in which case reducing it should help alleviate any noise pickup.

-Raja

could you by any change maybe do a test with Dirt 3 or Dirt Showdown ??

btw i use Roccat Kave 5.1 headset it have 4 analog jacks

Raja@ASUS
09-18-2012, 03:15 PM
could you by any change maybe do a test with Dirt 3 or Dirt Showdown ??

btw i use Roccat Kave 5.1 headset it have 4 analog jacks

The load of WOW exceeds the games you mention system wide so there is no need to test games that are less stressful. To explain and save us from excessive back and forth without any real logic: The noise pickup is electrical and somewhat based upon GPU load, so provided the surrounding components are loaded sufficiently (in this case the GPUs) the game itself is not the issue per se.

At higher Gain Boost the gain of the mic opamp will be more sensitive to surrounding noise. The absolute gain is quite high on this card - more than is needed. A good mic should not need a setting of +30dB on Gain Boost with the Phoebus. I find +10dB with mic volume on max to be too high on the Vulcan. A setting of +20dB and I get no background noise at all - but the gain is too high to use because the mic sensitivity on the Vulcan is already high enough not to need that level of Boost.

HOODedDutchman
09-20-2012, 08:22 AM
I have no mic boost on my dgx only volume. I'm guessing you are not getting the problem because you don't have the card in the top slot above the you, meaning the card is close to the PCB of the gpu while in your system if its on the bottom you have at least a good 1-1.5inch space between the bottom gpu PCB and the sound card. Could you maybe try it in the top slot and with sli off. Putting all the load on the top card. You may not even get the problem. But, for some reason the Asus sound cards are picking it up on certain gpu's. I had a 560ti and a 570 previous to my 660ti and did not have the problem with them. Also I noticed after I put my sound blaster in that it does not have a mid boost either, but the volume is only at 6 plus 0 boost in ventrilo while on my xonar the mic volume was at 100+ boosted +5 in ventrilo just for people to here me. I will try my card in a slot below the gpu to see if my problem goes away. I strongly believe it will since it won't be near the pcb. On my board tho I can only use the 2nd x16 slot. Making my first run at x8 (1155), so I will only do this for testing I guess.

Raja@ASUS
09-20-2012, 08:56 AM
I had the card sandwiched between a a 470 and 570 performing Physx in Batman and had no issues. I don't have a DGX - the cards have different layouts so how it affects one won't necessarily cross-correlate to another model in the same way.

HOODedDutchman
09-20-2012, 04:55 PM
I had the card sandwiched between a a 470 and 570 performing Physx in Batman and had no issues. I don't have a DGX - the cards have different layouts so how it affects one won't necessarily cross-correlate to another model in the same way.
Ya but physx is hardly a load on the card. Which would be the card which PCB is closer to the sound card. I blame the video card, but at the same time there is something the Asus cards are not able to block out that other ones can. Since 2 people have swapped cards now which resolved the issue.

Raja@ASUS
09-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Ya but physx is hardly a load on the card. .

Remember in most systems the GPU underneath the Phoebus will be SLI'd or running Physx, not running as a single card so the load is not going to be 100% there either.

HOODedDutchman
09-21-2012, 02:14 AM
What ????? So ur saying everyone running a Phoebus is running sli lol very few % actually run sli. People buying phoebus are audiophiles. Not even necessarily hardcore gamers.

Raja@ASUS
09-21-2012, 06:42 AM
What ????? So ur saying everyone running a Phoebus is running sli lol very few % actually run sli. People buying phoebus are audiophiles. Not even necessarily hardcore gamers.

Err no. I am saying very few people running a SINGLE GPU CARD will have the Phoebus placed in a slot higher than a single GPU. Kinda logical right? :) Thing is, on most mainstream motherboards, the first slot is 16X electrical and is the only slot that will run at 16X due to lane allocation (Intel mainstream platforms especially). Most users, if not all, prefer to have their single GPU placed in that slot, NOT their soundcard. Maybe now my response will start to make sense to you. :)

http://imageshack.us/a/img217/7066/phoebusjpeg.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/phoebusjpeg.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

EDIT: Just for you, I did it. Took out the top GPU, switched off the third GPU (R4E has PCIe power switches), and ran single GPU in Grid with maxed out visual settings. No internal noise bleeding to mic at all, and that's with gain on max of +30dB with slider at maximum also. :) This is a single GPU configuration that few people will use as you can well understand - consider the info I posted in the opening paragraph.

On top of that, Phoebus IS a gamers card. Essence STX is audiophile. You can see that audiophiles flock to the STX more just by visiting Head-Fi. Plus the fact we don't market the Phoebus for audiophiles, the feature set is gaming centric. We have a different MO for "audiophile" products. Currently limited ASIO support on the Phoebus - a feature that's a BIG deal for audiophiles. Look at how many threads there are in this forum requesting ASIO support for the Phoebus (none essentially and that's a big give-away). Essence STX has full support, and for good reason.

-Raja

cx-ray
09-21-2012, 10:34 AM
I hear a little mic sound bleeding on the Phoebus when running 3 GTX680 above it in MSI Kombuster. Also, slight electronic chirping when moving Windows on my screen. This is only with the volume at max on high gain. In other words if some system sound would play at that moment it would blow my ears out or possibly take my head clean off :)

Not sure whether it has been mentioned yet in this long thread, but usually these things are related to a grounding loop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/connecting-your-system/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

jluerken
09-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Experience the same. Humming microphone. I have to mute it to not disturb others on teamspeak for example. Very bad.

HOODedDutchman
09-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Oooook most board. Other the x79 I'm guessing since most of there boards are making room for quad sli support have an x1 slot above the top x16 slot. My apologies for the confusion, but on a board that has an x1 above the x16 which most will use for there sound card puts the sound card extremely close to the PCB of the gpu directly below it in the first x16 slot.

Raja@ASUS
09-22-2012, 04:30 AM
Oooook most board. Other the x79 I'm guessing since most of there boards are making room for quad sli support have an x1 slot above the top x16 slot. My apologies for the confusion, but on a board that has an x1 above the x16 which most will use for there sound card puts the sound card extremely close to the PCB of the gpu directly below it in the first x16 slot.

But like you said, very few people run SLI, let alone quad-SLI on these older boards :) Not many people that were running those older boards are still using them I would have thought. And seeing as you said people don't run SLI, that would give them another 3-4 slots for their soundcard so it would not have to be in that location. So I stand by what I said, this is any exceptionally rare usage scenario. Over 95% of boards made have the first slot as 16X electrical. Plus the fact I get no such noise via the mic on my card.

HOODedDutchman
09-22-2012, 06:33 AM
go on newegg and search 1155 socket boards. almost every single one has an x1 slot as the first one. putting the card in a different slot may work. but this is a work around. the fact that the asus sound cards is picking this up and other manufacturers cards are not shows a weakness in the asus card that should be addressed. im in no way looking down at asus or n e thing like that i believe the sound quality of even the cheapest asus card is better than the top end cards from other manufacturers. there is something to this. it sucks you cannot replicate it, but that does not mean the problem does not exist.

ZT.RM
09-26-2012, 04:44 AM
I just bought Xonar DX two days ago and I'm also experiencing exactly the same mic buzzing issue when playing games.
DX don't have EMI shield like Phoebus, STX, D2X. So I don't get it why these xonar cards have exactly the same problem even with or without EMI shield.

I'm playing Guild Wars 2 recently. My PC spec is i7-2600K OC 4.4GHz + HD6970 /w custom heatsink (<- non nVidia user here)
What I mean by noise is static noise here, not background noise. Here is my finding :

1. Frame rates affect the noise intensity. GW2 have built-in frame limiter, the noise will vary by setting the frame to Unlimited, 60, or 30. The lower frame rates the lower the noise.
2. Moving the sound card away from GPU helps reducing the noise, but not much in my case, even after I moved my GPU to PCIE slot1 and Xonar to PCIE slot3, I'm still getting noise.
3. Turning off "Front panel microphone" (from windows recording device properties) reduces the noise drastically for me. And I don't use front panel mic, my mic is always plugged directly to sound card back panel. No idea why this affect the static noise.
4. Turning off "Microphone boost" reduces the noise, if I turned off front panel mic & mic boost, I get zero static noise when playing games, but this will make my mic volume too low, so I had to turn on mic boost again.

Not sure if Phoebus have "Front panel microphone" setting in windows, my recommendation is to turn this off, it helps alot.
Hope this will help you guys.

HOODedDutchman
10-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Noise is reduced by limiting framerate because its less stress on the gpu and more stress on it when u don't limit frames. Sorry i don't have a solution really. I changed sound card which solved my problem then I changed gpu and went back and problem was gone. Maybe vrm location is the culprit. I don't know where they are located on your version of the 6970, but the new reference Kepler gpu's are located at the back of the card (exhaust side). Hard to pinpoint the problem.

hingj0n
10-03-2012, 10:44 AM
This has not to do with the EMI shield, this is a backdoor noise, called pci-e interface noise. This only happens when the graphics card is stressed, this has not to do with the CPU in any sort of kind, you can try to use an other pci-e port on your motherboard, it can help. [NOTE: remove your drivers before you replace your soundcard into any other port]

This was exactly the same problem I had on my Creative X-Fi sound card, but it was on the headphone side not the microphone side.

Bloodskull
12-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Someone has solved the problem?
The noise increases as the sound card is close and naturally increases when the gpu is stressed.
Solutions?
I tried to change 3 times the pcie slot but without a good result.
I took this sound card to play game and use the "special" mic .
I hope that someone can help me.

My config
ASUS XONAR PHOEBUS
GeForce GTX 580 DirectCUII
P8Z68 Deluxe - Socket 1155 - Chipset Z68 - ATX

Wendel
01-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Im also interested if somebody got a proper fix for this. I dont have the Phoebus, but the Essence STX, but im having the exact same issues.

My specs are:

Asus Ramage IV Extreme
Asus GeForce GTX 670 2gb CUDA
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Intel i7 3820 cpu @ 4.3ghz

Bloodskull
01-05-2013, 08:47 PM
I tried to contact the local Asus support but I took only this squalid answer (tsd@asus.com.tw)

"About the problem described we do not have official information from the parent company.
Please check back periodically over the next period of the Asus site for a
new firmware or driver.
We have forwarded your complaint to the responsible department."

So after We bought a Asus product and We found a design problem, not production problem we can only wait and we can't use the product.

Thank you very much to Asus for this magnificent support.

If

CSF@ROG
01-05-2013, 09:07 PM
I tried to contact the local Asus support but I took only this squalid answer (tsd@asus.com.tw)

"About the problem described we do not have official information from the parent company.
Please check back periodically over the next period of the Asus site for a
new firmware or driver.
We have forwarded your complaint to the responsible department."

So after We bought a Asus product and We found a design problem, not production problem we can only wait and we can't use the product.

Thank you very much to Asus for this magnificent support.

If

Which is exactly why I don't get the approach of giving only support to US customers in this very forum and to send all other customers to their respective local supporters. They don't have ANY help to offer there (I tried it myself)! So instead of supporting this ROG product on the appropriate ROG forum where you would expect it to be supported ... you get the point. Oh, and filling out a pretty comprehensive bug report, sending it in and never hear from it again is not something I'd count for an alternative.

Bloodskull
01-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Very Nice!
So the Asus support it's the same in all country because I'm writing from Italy.

Supertex
01-17-2013, 04:35 AM
I think I found a fix.

I ran into this same issue...buzzing...changes with FPS, or possibly as clock speeds increase on my GPU (GTX680). What solved it for me was to "ungroup" the various possible inputs. Since my sound chip is "smart sensing," the possibility exists that all ports -could- be used as input. Once I went into my RealteckHD Audio Manager (recording side, obviously), I found an option under "Device advanced settings" to "Tie up same type of input jacks, i.e. line-in or microphone, as an input device" that was selected.

Once I checked the other option: "Separate all input jacks as independent input devices," the noise was immediately and completely gone. I also noticed, my recording devices panel now lists every single plug, as opposed to only showing the front and rear. It also lowered my gain a bit, as I had to increase mic sensitivity to trigger voice activation in vent.

I hope this helps someone. If you don't have Realtek, then look in your pc's control panel for your soundcard's control GUI (not the basic windows sound control)...look for a similar option, and I bet you can get it figured out.

Azazavr
03-20-2013, 04:22 PM
I have the same problem with niise in teamspeak while playing Battlefield 3...

DAZnBLAST
03-21-2013, 05:28 PM
I have this exact issue, buzzing when my game starts. My TS buddies cannot stand the noise I generate in game, they say it's like a lawn mower.

I have tried the following to correct this issue:

- Reseating the card to the first PCI slot, furthest away from my GPU (ASUS 560ti 448 CUII)
- Disabling on-board sound (Z77A-G45)
- Uninstalling Realtek drivers
- Disabling HD Audio which comes with the NVidia card drivers
- Trying various different volume / boost combinations

The sound is sweet up until the point I'm in game.

Is there going to be a recall on this card or at least tell me ASUS ROG are investigating this issue.

Look forward to hearing from you.

cx-ray
03-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Perhaps the BF3 ESN Sonar web browser plug-in is conflicting? You could try muting it in your browser. It popups somewhere near your friends/party area.

DAZnBLAST
03-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Apologies, when I say exact same issue, I mean the same issue as the thread title, not BF3 specific. I (or my TS3 buddies rather) get the lawn mower noise when DCS A10C starts.

Daz

Tassy
03-22-2013, 04:11 AM
yer I had to ditch the so called mic on the phoebus because its utter rubbish. my friend sin vent couldn't understand me, as it sounded like i was coming from end of a long tunnel.Along with the noise of the card. Utter POS if you ask me :(.

DAZnBLAST
03-22-2013, 09:24 AM
I thought the new beta drivers / firmware would solve it but no joy.

So what next? Do I have to take my card back to OCUK?

DAZnBLAST
03-25-2013, 08:09 PM
OK, I've been testing various scenarios and think I've narrowed it down to two things...a) my card is faulty? Or b) I need a new PSU?

To recap, I only get faint crackling / interference when the game is loading, I then get full blown lawn mower sound when the game has loaded and I'm ready to un-pause.

Here is what I've tried:

- brand new 2x 3.5mm jack headset straight into the phoebus (still noise)
- same headset straight into the phoebus box (still noise)
- taken my phoebus card out, installed and enabled onboard again (everything good again)

Here are my system specs:

Antec high current gamer 620w PSU
MSI Z77A-G45 mobo
i7 3770K @ 3.50GHZ (not overclocked)
ASUS 560ti 448 CUII
ASUS Phoebus
8GB DDR3
1 x CD+DVD combo
1 x HDD
1 x USB Razor mouse
1 x USB X52
6 x fans PSU, CPU, GPU(2), CASE(2)

Daz

DAZnBLAST
03-25-2013, 10:09 PM
BUMP

Anyone have the same issue with a higher wattage PSU? Chances the card is faulty?

Any help is appreciated.

D

DAZnBLAST
03-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Candergart, I have this exact problem. I took my PC to the local computer shop, they tried my Phoebus card on their Alienware and it worked fine so my Phoebus card doesn't need RMA. They also hooked my components up to a more powerfull PSU, still the same buzzing when in 3D mode, then they tried taking my 560ti 448 CUII out and tried a different GPU that consumes less power, still the buzzing in 3D mode. Their thoughts were maybe the Phoebus and Z77A-G45 mobo do not get on? I'm lost, I've got a perfectly good Phoebus here which I cannot use in game :(

CAN ANYONE FROM ASUS SUGGEST SOMETHING PLEASE.

The buzzing actually follows the FPS change in the GFX card.

I am experiencing this with BF3.
Mobo, VGA and Sound are all ASUS.

Mobo: P6TD DELUXE
Snd: Asus Xonar Essence STX
VGA: Asus Nvidia Geforce 480 GTX

My friends on Teamspeak tells me it sounds like I am running a moped or a lawnmower in the bakground.
It is highly annoying and not something I expect from a good soundcard.

Is there no solution from Asus regarding this?
I have tried Grounding the computer and tried to move around the cards although the videocard needs to be in the top due to cooling.

/Roger Candergart

ADDED 2012-08-01 10:10 Swedish time

Asus support have told me to talk to the retailer about RMA.
I tried my card in another computer now and the same problem existed there.

It would be nice to know if there was anyone that really did not have this problem.

A simple test , plug in a microphone, activate "listen" so that you hear yourself realtime, open a browser and scroll up and down.. do you hear any disturbances?

if yes , welcome to the club.
If no, start a game , still no sounds (something like lawnmower sounds or moped sounds) ? then you are in luck.

My guess is that this card or these cards even, have a design flaw.

PS.
has anyone else been overly whelmed by the massive bugs/problems with any asus online service lately?
I experience atleast 3-4 of them on a daily basis

.DS

DAZnBLAST
04-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Well thanks ROG for all your support / suggestions - or lack there of! I'm now in touch with ASUS to return the card. I cannot believe I paid £150 for this card and not one single ROG response to my issue.

ROG, I strongly suggest you need "customer service" training, FACT!

Fergal
04-02-2013, 02:32 AM
did you try to plug the black jack off the control module, that was the cause of the humming for me!

i have a razer tiamat 7.1 and the phoebus card i use the tiamat headset like a 7,1 sound system and it work very well. need some adjustment for the humming it take me some time but i got it .

try that connect the control pad in ur sound card, not the mic or the line out for a headset, just the black 1/8 jack for the power

DAZnBLAST
04-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Hi Fergal

Thanks for trying to help, it's appreciated :)

I have this headset here (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://techgage.com/reviews/speedlink/medusa_51_vs_senn_hd555/medusa_51_01_thumb.jpg&imgrefurl=http://techgage.com/article/speedlink_medusa_51_and_sennheiser_hd555/&h=375&w=500&sz=60&tbnid=E_k3VoBBtYcQaM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=133&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmedusa%2B5.1%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=medusa+5.1&usg=__N8OuYKG8YDHEFYKzxzc3qElL3yo=&docid=18XpS1D9-7eUxM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qBhbUdvoIorF0QX1moCgAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CD0Q9QEwBA&dur=532)

I have my black jack in the slot marked "rear", orange in the slot marked "ctr/sbw", green in the slot marked "front" and pink in the slot "mic in"

I also tried a cheap headset, unplugged my Medusa completely and tried the headphones in "headphone out" and mic in "mic in".

Still got the same buzzing (when in games only).

Regards
D

Tassy
04-04-2013, 06:36 AM
I Had same issues, an because the card doesn't have EAC (yet the motherboard does) it picks up every little fart that the card hears, an repeats it through mic. I had to rip out that pos junk mic box that comes with it, an use a 20$ mic I got from a shop.

sobe
04-13-2013, 11:52 PM
I had issues with "humming" and what sounded like a lawn-mower when playing games like Hitman Absolution or Battlefield 3, and trying to talk in Teamspeak. I was using a Zalman-ZM1 clipon mic, where using a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD provided AMAZING voice quality and clarity in teamspeak and the clipon mic picked up VERY well, the Phoebus is another story completely...

In order for me to have gotten my voice heard in teamspeak I had to up the Mic boost to 20Db and jack the mic settings as far up as I could go before distortion, it was atrocious.

I switched to a mic that was directly in front of my mouth(or to the side to be precise), I chose the Antlion Modmic (http://www.modmic.com/) to fit my Beyerdynamic DT990's, and now I can keep the Mic boost at 0 and I sound clear and crisp with no issues talking on ts, whether Im ingame or not.

In reality the Modmic is a better mic, however, I should not have been REQUIRED to make the switch, or be required to use ****ty headsets or "gaming headsets" just for their mic and sacrifice the sound quality that better audiophile cans offer. (Albeit the Sennheiser PC360 is the only one I would consider due the the HD595 drivers in the earpieces)

/end rant

Incred
09-05-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure what I can add that hasn't already been said, but I recently purchased the Phoebus and I am certainly having the audio problems with my mic while playing World of Warcraft. When I use Skype while playing, people on the call complain about the noise coming from my end. They say it sounds like a lawnmower. The sound isn't constant, however, they tell me it comes and goes. Sometimes the sound is subtle, sometimes it is ear piercing.

Relevant Specs:
CPU: Intel 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
GPU: EVGA GTX 680
PSU: Corsair AX850
Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4
Headset: Sennheiser PC 360
Driver: 8.0.1.29

GPU is in top slot closest to CPU - Phoebus is in bottom slot, furthest away. My headset is plugged directly into the soundcard.

In all other situations, the sound card performs extremely well. I only have problems with the mic.

Mineria
09-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Never had this issue using 2 almost identical setups, one with a GTX580, another with a GTX660.
Boost at 0db and ENC enabled.

Made sure that the audio card uses a seperate power lane?
Like when using SLI, never share the lanes between 2 cards or any other components in the system, if the PSU doesn't provide enough lanes to seperate between, get a better PSU.
Same rule should go for the Phoebus.

Have Windows up to date, there have been some lan-audio priority issues in the past which produced crackling sounds etc.
There are registry "tweaks" on the net to setup a specific order in the command queue list.

Disable the onboard audio device.

93Crusher
10-16-2013, 03:03 AM
I found a "fix" to the issue. I have an ATI 6870 and the Xonar DS (i believe). All I did was in the microphone settings through windows I made sure that the Microphone Boost was on under the Custom tab. Then I went to levels and turned it down to 25. The buzzing noise is still there but it is much quieter. So those who want a temporary fix so that your microphone is working this may work for you. Oh and I plugged the USB part of my headset (Razr 7.1 Tiamats) into a wall power outlet using just a 110v outlet and a USB phone charging adapter. I read somewhere that the card may not be gorunded right so that helped some. Good luck!

AVtemp
10-16-2013, 07:41 AM
POSSIBLE SOLUTION OF NOISE PROBLEM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ferrite-core-filter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_01tXagK9BQ

You`r gonna need to set few of those (experiment yourself) on top of your PSU cable which connected to Phoebus.
Pick size by yourself (it has to lock tight on cable).
Try to place one from PSU side and another from power connector side.
You may try more than only 2.
Also you may try to place few on your microphone cable too.

It`s gonna reduce EMI noise.
There is a guy who solved this problem (he placed 4 ferrite core filters).

http://asusfans.ru/forum/cat-sound/topic-6475.html

I hope it`s gonna help you all.
P.S. Sorry for my english :-)
Post here if it help you.

heichalot
10-16-2013, 09:50 AM
that EMI supression core works on my sony tdk speakers (2.1).
ok, this maybe not so relevant to the main topic, but I think i'd rather share this info.

I had this sony speaker years ago (around 1999), it was a TDK 80 or 90 watt (can't remember, sorry), bought that back in the days when I studied overseas where it has 100v input. When I brought it back to my home (230v, with converter ofcourse), those speakers made humming noise. which I found out later that bad grounding is quite "common" here.
the speaker already has a built-in supression, yet it seemed not enough. After I added another supression, the humming dissapear (or really soft which I couldn't hear).

although I have never thought (nor imagine) to set up supression on sound card.
but wouldn't supression should be installed on the PSU main cable instead (the one plugging to the wall) ?
or on the power cable from the PSU to the soundcard is enough?

I used to have xonar phoebus, which I let it go because I don't like it
I also had razer tiamat 7.1, which I let go because it sucked. but I can confirm that even without xonar phoebus, tiamat itself does the humming.
I don't think the humming is caused by xonar.
but when I set the boost on +20db and higher (NOT with tiamat), I can hear the hum (so I always set it on +10db).
with tiamat, regardless which +db you use or which soundcard you use (even motherboard), it hums.

So Im quite sure the hum isn't phoebus's fault.

cheers

AVtemp
10-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Yes,but Phoebus is part of this problem.
Engineers from ASUS did a mistake-Phoebus needs additional power.
I don`t know any other sound card with same solution.
They thought it will eliminate motherboard`s PCI-express power bus noise ( it should benefit in noise-free sound).
But they miss another problem - Graphics card\CPU produce huge EMI noise under load (it draws much power in 3D).
This noise is picked up by PSU power line (Phoebus additinal power),as it works like antenna.
And than it amplified inside Phoebus, so you can hear that noise.
Thats why you need to use Ferrite bead with Phoebus additional power cable (inside your PC).
Also make sure to place that cable as far as you can from Graphics card or motherboard.
Mic`s cable\remote box also works as antenna.
It`s a complex problem with PSU\Motherboard\GPU\Phoebus being involved.
That`s my theory.

heichalot
10-16-2013, 02:29 PM
I still think by grounding the main PSU power cable "properly" would have stopped the hum, but I can only "assume" it since I don't have the piece anymore

Thats why you need to use Ferrite bead with Phoebus additional power cable (inside your PC).
Also make sure to place that cable as far as you can from Graphics card or motherboard.

if your theory is right, then supressing will be so much a hassle :(

G-Gnu
10-18-2013, 12:21 PM
What about the PSU/chassi is it grounded to earth ?
Sometimes if you dont have a good ground you can get 50/60Hz hum from the mic or other interferences.

I had my mouse input heard in my headset , then i rerouted my power to a diffrent socket so that i had real grounding, then it disappeared almost complete ( i can hear it if i crank the volume up to almost the top with no other sounds going on in my headset).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3E-uhY-TJ4&feature=colike <---- Noise starting at 0:10 Gpu starts working.

I asked my friend to do a test. He have an older computer laying around and i asked him to use the power supply from that computer to feed the Phoebus power plug, i told him to use the same outlet so that he had the same grounding so that the PSU´s have the same earth point.
That my friends did work, not a single sound of a "Lawnmover" when i did a test with furmark to push the GPU to max.
So in this case it seems to be "Crap sound" coming through the PSU unit (Corsair TX750m), so he might need to change to a better PSU to get rid of the "Lawnmover" sound.

Cageymaru
10-18-2013, 04:11 PM
I had bad hum for an eternity and I got rid of it by removing the Control Box. Live chatted with Asus about it having a short in the wire and they said it's not covered by warranty as it is considered a non-serialized accessory. (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1783922) Try disconnecting that and hooking up the headphones / mic directly to the card. That fixed the hum for me.

Adrian.H
10-31-2013, 05:55 AM
I have the same issue with Xonar Phoebus Solo. I will send it to RMA. For me card which has that kind of problem is broken. I have my onboard realtek and it doesn't make that kind of sound at all.

SWEstone
11-01-2013, 06:30 PM
What about the PSU/chassi is it grounded to earth ?
Sometimes if you dont have a good ground you can get 50/60Hz hum from the mic or other interferences.

I had my mouse input heard in my headset , then i rerouted my power to a diffrent socket so that i had real grounding, then it disappeared almost complete ( i can hear it if i crank the volume up to almost the top with no other sounds going on in my headset).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3E-uhY-TJ4&feature=colike <---- Noise starting at 0:10 Gpu starts working.

I asked my friend to do a test. He have an older computer laying around and i asked him to use the power supply from that computer to feed the Phoebus power plug, i told him to use the same outlet so that he had the same grounding so that the PSU´s have the same earth point.
That my friends did work, not a single sound of a "Lawnmover" when i did a test with furmark to push the GPU to max.
So in this case it seems to be "Crap sound" coming through the PSU unit (Corsair TX750m), so he might need to change to a better PSU to get rid of the "Lawnmover" sound.

Sadly it didn't help with a new PSU :-( or proper grounding, I installed a Corsair AX1200i and there was no improvment at all, still a lawnmover with high load on the GPU (gigabyte GTX690). I even tried stopping the gpu fan and the watercooling pump on the CPU, no change........ Need help ASUS !
Btw, the xonar phoebus sits 4 empty slots below the GPU, no control box, 5.1 surround headphones.

Adrian.H
11-02-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm returning it to the shop, and i suggest you all to do it the same, if u only can.

Adrian.H
11-22-2013, 08:50 PM
I bought Xonar DX no such thing exist for me like buzzing noise with microphone connected to xonar dx as oppose to phoebus. Sorry Asus, you suck with this phoebus card.

Jimz0r
11-24-2013, 10:47 AM
I bought one of these cards for my new gaming rig consisting of 2 GTX 780's in SLI, The phoebus is sitting between the two of these cards and is highly exposed to the EMI that the cards give off.

After a week of running the PC playing various games everything was working fine until suddenly the people on TS were telling me that they could hear a motor bike in the back ground when I spoke. At first I thought they were being idiots but eventually it got to the point where I realised there was actually a serious problem.

At this point a friend and I attempted to diagnose the problem where we found this specific forum thread. Now I started to worry that I had a faulty card and would have to RMA it. I tried everything, Moving the card to a better spot, Making an EMI shield out of cardboard, paper and aluminium foil. Nothing seemed to work.

Until finally at 12PM at night everyone on TS had left for sleep and yet I was still sitting there stressing my head off over the fact I may not get my money back from the shop I bought it, I found a nasty little setting that a) I didn't know it existed and b) Don't remember playing with or turning off.

http://i.imgur.com/yAoApaA.png

I found this setting above to be turned off even though I had never touched it.. I never even knew it existed so I had no idea that it was preventing the EMI from coming through to the Mic.

and to prove it was this setting , the next morning I was literally toggleing it on and off and getting friends in TS to tell me if they heard the ripping noise or not. Everytime the setting was off, they heard the noise. Everytime it was on, my voice was as clear as a sunny day.

So in conclusion, to all those experiencing this issue, check that you have ENC enabled.

-Spi-
12-30-2013, 04:47 PM
I have found a solution to fix the problem.
The source of the humming is the additional power suply of the sound card. The filter of high frequency is too weak. If the graphic card have a weak high frequency filter too, it sends high-frequency disturbances back to the power suply.
A solution is a ferrite core in the power suply close to the sound card. I wrap three windings arround the ferrite core and reduced the humming to a minimum till nothing.

Greetings, Spi

Glasofruix
12-30-2013, 11:37 PM
And that's why you don't use a reference design card, especially from amd :p

golddubby
03-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Best Regards
Roger Candergart

I'm in the exact same situation. I simply plugged my mic back into the motherboard plug which uses an creative soundcore 3d chip. Now it works fine. No annoying echo and no angry clannies that rage on my mic buzzing so loud that they can't even focus on the game "OMG MAN USE PUSH TO TALK, YOUR MIC IS BUZZING LIKE MAD BEES DUDE"

My solution works, but why did I pay $120 for this useless piece of crap harware. It didn't improve anything it only made things alot worse.

I feel like a noob throwing money away. Tnx Asus :(

golddubby
03-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Telling people they need to buy another psu is the dumbest thing I've ever hear. I have a xfx1050w black ed. Pro
The card is getting accurate power. Why on earth would this even be of any issue to us the users. If asus built a sound card it should have proper working wrm's if that is the issue here. And don't put the blame on the consumer, that's just absurd.

Aprozar
03-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Hello guys. Im having same problem for 6 months or so. ( Im using asus xonar dx )
My rig when i had problems first time : asus pz68 lx mobo , ati hd 6850 cyclone and corsair 600 cx psu. Basically i tried almost everything ( only emi i havent) from unified drivers , to removing onboard sound or any other particular sound outputs, same noise with frontpanel aswell, the noise was there especially in games. Tried on a friends computer with better spec and he had noise aswell but more lower than mine . After that i sent it back to RMA and got new one back with same problem. For a time i thought its the PCI e bandwith share between audio card and video card that was causing the problem. Anyway , removed the card for 2 months untill i got new components.
My ring when sound dissapeared: b85-g41 msi mobo , gtx 760 video , same PSU corsair cx 600. So after i bought these i gave my soundcard another try, and it didnt had any issues at all. U cant imagine how happy i was . So i said yes it was the mobo.
Anyway recently i had to change my PSU corsair 600 cx due to having coil noise when closing my pc ( i couldnt sleep with that electric sound ) . So i plugged new PSU Antec VP 550F W and the problem is back. Now my happiness is gone and i can say im a bit frustrated about this. Many ppl got this problem if you check google and they dont know what it is.

Aprozar
03-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Ok guys today i fixed my problem. It was the front panel . The usbs from front panel was doing interferences with microphone. I just removed the that usb cable that goes into mobo and it works no more anoyin static sound while gaming over skype . Its sorted! I hope it helps the rest of you

hirannor
03-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Hello guys, the same exact problem here.

I am using a Xonar Phoebus Solo, and when playing games and making calls at the same time (skype, vent, ts), my mates keep on telling me i have such an extremely annoying buzzing sound, that they cannot even hear my voice.

I would really be happy, if you cold guys at ROG help me with such an inconvenient problem...

beggisch
03-28-2014, 01:26 PM
I also have the same problem with my new Phoebus Solo and I also can't find the option in the command center for noise cancellation/ROG Command. Do I need the Control Box for working noise cancellation? Well idk but I think I will return this Card in some days because Asus doesn't seem to help.

Florin
04-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Tried Aprozar`s solution by removing any cable that goes to the front of my case and still nothing, repositioning on another slot for me is a no go since the sound card would block my video card`s fan intake.

My only solution was to get a cheap 3$ USB mic from Ebay. It sounded terrible but it had no buzzing interference, so i took an old Manhattan mic, and switched the little mic inside with the USB one, now i have decent mic sound... but it`s terrible to pay so much money on such a card that has shielding and have such problems.

Dicehunter
06-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Well thanks ROG for all your support / suggestions - or lack there of! I'm now in touch with ASUS to return the card. I cannot believe I paid £150 for this card and not one single ROG response to my issue.

ROG, I strongly suggest you need "customer service" training, FACT!

That's typical Asus, They ignore problems but are happy to take our money.

freakazoid
06-03-2014, 05:25 PM
i've got the same problem with my phoebus solo.
using my modmic 4.0 and a dt990 gives me extrem background noices in ts, skype and other progs while the graficscard produces high fps. if i turn up the graphics to ultra it keeps the fps at around 60 and the anoying sound is nearly gone.
so it seems to be fps relatet and not depending on the workload the graphicscard has to handle.

i'm going for rog-support now, and if they don't help me with this, i'm never gonna buy a single asus-piece again... its quite simple.

DLoaderMega88
06-04-2014, 09:25 AM
I've run into the same issues as listed above, I've tried what people have recommended and still no change. I installed this into my new system with a complete new set of parts and the issue continues. The annoying buzzing/humming only shows up when a game is active and the gpus are being pushed.

Please Asus help us, this is one expensive sound card and these issues are crazy.

I'm running my mic off my onboard sound but I would like to take advantage of the Phoebus mic features. Hopefully someone at Asus is working on this.

freakazoid
06-06-2014, 09:05 AM
after a few useless tips from the support (put it as far away from the graphicscard, etc.) they offered me to take it back and test it in their tech-center.

i think i'm gonna change it and hope for a better one...

DLoaderMega88
06-07-2014, 07:51 AM
I hope they can fix it for you so I can also try that as well lol.

freakazoid
06-19-2014, 05:45 PM
today, the new one arrived.

i really wanted it to be better, but its just the same problem as befor.
depending on the fps in a game, its more or less noisy.

but it helped me to isolate the card with some tape from the pc case. it lowers the noise a little bit.

DLoaderMega88
06-19-2014, 07:11 PM
dang thats depressing, I have two gpus in sli so when I play a game that can use both the annoying humming gets crazy :/

freakazoid
06-19-2014, 07:41 PM
is there any official post of asus on this topic?

DLoaderMega88
06-22-2014, 01:03 AM
not that i know of :/ But I have seen this issue on many posts. They are usually asked to RMA it but then it comes back and its the same thing. Not sure whats causing it.

Gismo
08-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Ok - time I dipped my toe in this pool and joined the discussion. Yes I bought a card, I've always used Creative cards in the past and this was my first foray outside of my comfort zone by buying the ROG Phoebus. Having read this thread and just RMAed the card to the supplier I can't help feeling I've made a dreadful mistake. Here are my components,

XFX 7970 3gb card
Asus M5A99R1
AMD bulldozer 4.2
8GB 1600
Sennheiser PC350 headphones

So I followed the instructions and uninstalled my old Creative drivers and removed the card. Followed the manual as far as installation went and yes, upon connecting everything I had a motorbike engine in my pc. So I went looking for solutions and this is what I've tried.

Software - tried all the tweaks on here, as the PC350 headset has a good quality microphone I've dropped the gain down to zero DB. Sadly it's not made any real difference.

Moving audio card away from video card. I've dropped my card into the bottom slot as far away from my video card as possible. It lessened the EMI - a little. Off to RS Components and £20 worth of ferrite cores and stuck them on every power lead and audio cable. Not much improvement there. Liberated a £60 sheet of moldable EMI shielding from my work. Again, small improvement.

Moved the cables away from the video card by routing them round the other side of the PC - no difference.

Installed an old dead video card from another pc to act as a barrier - again a slight improvement.

Disconnected the front panel audio connector - no difference.

The only thing that made any appreciable difference was unplugging my microphone altogether - that works. sadly it makes using TeamSpeak slightly difficult.

Last thing I could think about doing was replace the old PSU with a shiny new modular one. £150 lighter for that but that didn't change a thing.

So last night I solved the problem and my TeamSpeak friends were delighted as I was coming through clear and there was no additional background noise. The only reason this happened because I uninstalled my Phoebus to RMA it and stuck back in my very old Creative Xi-Fi card.

To say I'm disappointed with this card would be the understatement of the millennium.

Necro86
08-12-2014, 04:39 PM
helo guys. i have to share my experience.
i had this problem too like there was a huge chaisaw blowing into my mic.
i0ve found a solution to this or atl east in my case.
i use a razer tiamat 7.1 and since i did this i never had any problem.
i plugged all audio connector to the board except for the mic.
i plugged the mic into the rog base wich regolate the volume.
after this i went to the software and i turned on the nfc (noise control field i think).
since i use this configuration i totally extinguished the problem :)...
i invite you to try this guys cause it really changed my life.
like lot of you i was struggling with this problem :)
hope that this can be helpfull for someone

Neumi
09-08-2014, 02:28 PM

It was quite the same for me.
My solution was to buy a 5$ USB sound card and connect my microphone there. I deactivated the Asus' microphone port, the USB adapter does a much better job.
Get the cheapest one you can find, you won't use it's output anyway. It's sad that junk hardware works better than such a expensive sound card as the Phoebus,

kynbote
09-10-2014, 06:42 AM
I have been following this thread since I purchased my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card and experienced the microphone buzzing sound.

A while ago I solved the issue - or at least greatly diminished it, by disabling the Intel SpeedStep option in my motherboards BIOS.

Recently I updated my BIOS and formatted my hdd, experienced the buzzing sound again, disabled Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS and the microphone buzz subsided

I hope this solution is able to help some others.

Other components include an Asus P79x79 Pro motherboard, NVidia GeForce 560Ti and Intel i7.

BC_ROG
12-07-2014, 03:19 PM
It also happens to my MAXIMUS VII RANGER Z97 motherboard. I hope that Asus will fix it soon.

oG kill3r
01-20-2015, 05:11 AM
I bought one of these cards for my new gaming rig consisting of 2 GTX 780's in SLI, The phoebus is sitting between the two of these cards and is highly exposed to the EMI that the cards give off.

After a week of running the PC playing various games everything was working fine until suddenly the people on TS were telling me that they could hear a motor bike in the back ground when I spoke. At first I thought they were being idiots but eventually it got to the point where I realised there was actually a serious problem.

At this point a friend and I attempted to diagnose the problem where we found this specific forum thread. Now I started to worry that I had a faulty card and would have to RMA it. I tried everything, Moving the card to a better spot, Making an EMI shield out of cardboard, paper and aluminium foil. Nothing seemed to work.

Until finally at 12PM at night everyone on TS had left for sleep and yet I was still sitting there stressing my head off over the fact I may not get my money back from the shop I bought it, I found a nasty little setting that a) I didn't know it existed and b) Don't remember playing with or turning off.

http://i.imgur.com/yAoApaA.png

I found this setting above to be turned off even though I had never touched it.. I never even knew it existed so I had no idea that it was preventing the EMI from coming through to the Mic.

and to prove it was this setting , the next morning I was literally toggleing it on and off and getting friends in TS to tell me if they heard the ripping noise or not. Everytime the setting was off, they heard the noise. Everytime it was on, my voice was as clear as a sunny day.

So in conclusion, to all those experiencing this issue, check that you have ENC enabled.
Thanks this worked for me :)

eccorino
01-28-2015, 07:28 PM
Hello Estatus!

I can see this post is a bit old..

I recently bought a Phoebus card myself, and experienced the exact thing as you did. I've tried so many things to solve this problem, which many users seem to have.

So... Since ASUS themselves could not come up with an good explanation, I had to take it in my own hands. So I contacted the website from where I got the card and explained my problem to their service center. The guy who answered knew exactly what I had to do, since he also had the same problem before..

He told me to lower the sample rate in the in settings of ASUS software. And it's that simple. Try it and see if it works! You could always connect your microphone the the motherboard by activating it, and just use the sound coming from the sound card it self. But hey, that's not why we got it right!!

Good luck!

Susscon
02-18-2015, 02:56 PM
Well i tried everything after just buying my card, including the onboard sound, even bought a cheap USB soundcard, and also lowered the sample rate, tried different pci-e ports, different headsets... u name it i tried it.
the only way i could get the mic working withought interference was to use the ''line in'' port on the back of the card.
i dont have to explain the downside of doing that, but at least now people can hear me on teamspeak withought interference and a clean voice transmission, its just they all have to turn me up there side on TS3.
as for getting the actual mic port on the card to work withought problems... well i given up, and emailed asus support for an explination.

Hope this helps some of you. if you guys can actually get this card working with the mic it is worth it because the sound is very good for the price, its just a real bad letdown as we should not have to deal with these problems in the first place.

GoNz0-
02-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Sample rate has not worked for me, I got a little excited when I saw the new driver version and put the card back in. Tried everything to be met with horrible interference.

I think this is disgusting that I have a Asus Video card, Motherboard and Soundcard, all the top of the range and you get this.

Asus do not seem to care.

Oh well the cards going back up for sale.

Has anyone replaced with another high end soundcard with good headphone amp as I am looking for an alternative..

Scotchjock
03-09-2015, 12:48 AM
Well, I've had my Phoebus solo for about a year now and only started to use the mic recently and also got this terrible humming noise reported to me by friends, it's a real shame as the card works flawlessly when mic is not in use and only starts humming as soon as I launch a game. Seeing all you guys with this problem is unacceptable and Asus really do need to address the problem, have now had to switch back to onboard sound, my spec as follows...

Gigabyte Z87X UD5H / Intel 4770k @ 4.5Ghz / Nvidia reference GTX 980 x2 sli / Corsair AX1200i PSU / Corsair H100i AIO / Corsair K70 / Corsair vengeance pro 8Gb 2133mhz / Corsair obsidian 750D / Asus ROG Swift / Asus xonar phoebus solo, now onboard because of humming mic / Corsair SP2500 speakers.

Florin
03-09-2015, 10:16 AM
In the latest driver in Sonic Studio Pro you have Noise Gate and perfect voice to reduce that humming, but i feel you .. for the price of this card they sure didn`t test the mic in quality ...

And you will get about no support from anybody at Asus, it`s like this card does not even exists for them any more. But people complain about the same support from Creative cards also ...kinda sad.

GoNz0-
03-09-2015, 11:00 AM
While it may reduce noise between speaking it still allows the noise while I spoke when using a headset. So noise gate is quite frankly crap.

kenpachi_b
03-11-2015, 12:53 AM
Hi all, i've the same problem, i cant isolate the card in the case bcs i dont have enough space, but its impossible use the drive of Motherboard just for the mic and For music/video etc the sound card?

Undertoker
03-31-2015, 11:09 AM
Well I'm glad I had a look first before buying a card
I can't belive Asus and especially ROG put their name on a product that does this and don't address it.
It's disgusting and I won't now be buying one
Thank you guys for the heads up

GoNz0-
03-31-2015, 11:38 AM
Well I'm glad I had a look first before buying a card
I can't belive Asus and especially ROG put their name on a product that does this and don't address it.
It's disgusting and I won't now be buying one
Thank you guys for the heads up

I went with a creative ZXR but it also picks up noise from the GTX980, At least the noise reduction takes care of it unlike Asus software.

Shark-Bait
05-05-2015, 01:08 PM
I think I may know what the problem is...

I recently purchased a Xonar USB Soundcard and noticed some compatibility issues with the Driver Software and Windows which was causing some noise problems.

Basically the Noise Reduction works quite well but Windows AGC (Auto GAIN Correction) which adjust Mic-input volume would up the mic volume to crazy levels. It appears to work by upping the volume until it achieves a certain level of background "buzz".. because the ASUS soundcard was reducing the background noise so effectively the AGC kept upping the volume.

I noticed when I clicked 'record' on Audacity that there was a background buzz noise, as if the Mic input volume was way up and Boost was enabled.

Luckily I immediately recognized the problem.

Unfortunately there seems to be quite a few disingenuous people providing "fixes" for certain problems which are not fixes at all. Giving weird advice, like, nail-polish on chipsets? Moving your computer hardware around? Jeez...

For example, one person said on a forum to switch the device to USB 1.0 mode.. which would mean losing all tweaking and audio configuration options in the Sonic Studio software.

Now.. if this soundcard has noise reduction for mic-input, you may want to try this:

Right-click on the little speaker icon and click "Recording devices" and find your Microphone. (Make sure it is default device and default Communications Device.) Double-click your Microphone and go to the "Custom" tab. Un-tick the AGC option and click OK.

That will stop Windows trying to adjust the mic-input volume.

You see, most communication software come with not just auto-adjust mic-volume but auto-adjust received volume also. So your friends may not notice if you're screaming down the line because their software auto adjusts the chat volume on their end.

Skype has the option to turn off auto-adjust mic-volume. I suggest turning that option off too, if you notice Skype upping the volume too high.

I notice the previous post

I went with a creative ZXR but it also picks up noise from the GTX980, At least the noise reduction takes care of it unlike Asus software.

I find it curious that it is the actual noise-reduction system which may be causing these issues.. or rather the Windows system / 3rd party software which can't seem to function well when the new hardware reduces background noise.

A LOT of what I read seems to be dis-info spread by ASUS' main competitors, giving bad advice, mis-leading people leading to more frustrated customers.. Just my opinion.

Florin
05-07-2015, 08:19 AM
The mic on the Phoebus doesn`t have AGC under the specified location.

GoNz0-
05-07-2015, 01:57 PM
A LOT of what I read seems to be dis-info spread by ASUS' main competitors, giving bad advice, mis-leading people leading to more frustrated customers.. Just my opinion.

Accusing someone with thousands of pounds of asus kit of being the competition? really?

Jognt
06-17-2015, 11:00 PM
Quite an older thread by now, but I wanted to voice my findings too. (Xonar DX)
I started having this weird FPS related buzzing after buying a GTX980 to replace my GTX670 SLI setup.

After a lot of testing I found that the problem was gone with my GTX670 cards and an older ATi HD4850 card.
As soon as I place the GTX980 in the system the buzzing returns. If I listen VERY closely to the card I can also hear the same frequency-changing-buzz coming from the GTX980 itself.

I think the poor components on the GTX980 STRIX are having an effect on (poor) components of the Xonar.

I returned the GTX980, the store is testing it with my audio card at the moment. I hope they will replace the GTX980 for me since the Xonar is quite a bit older by now and the issue seems to be primarily caused by the new videocard.

Florin
06-18-2015, 08:14 AM
The soundcard should be shielded from such things but it`s not :) Just look at the onboard sound card, that one is not affected.

Jognt
06-18-2015, 09:00 AM
The soundcard should be shielded from such things but it`s not :) Just look at the onboard sound card, that one is not affected.

So which is 'broken'? On the one hand I did not have this issue with older GPU's so that would lead to: GPU = broken.
On the other hand the issue is often not noticed (apparently) with other audio solutions so that would lead to: Soundcard = broken.

Which is it :S because in the meantime I can't record any videos with microphone audio and I can't bear the buzz that I hear through my main speakers while gaming. This joke cost me hundreds of euros for crying out loud :(

Florin
06-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Sound cards are very sensitive to interference, inside a computer there are plenty of stuff going on to induce interference to your sound. The CPU and GPU make an astonishing number of calculations every second. Best way to have the best sound experience is to put the sound card as far away from the insides of your PC (best way scenario).

This is why i`m using a simple usb mic instead of the Phoebus`s mic input. In rest the card works perfect for me.

Jognt
06-18-2015, 02:45 PM
That kinda negates the purpose of the Mic-In, also I have a pretty good analog Mic :/.
Besides that the sound I hear through the speakers/Mic-In can also be faintly heard coming from the card itself.

Doco
10-10-2015, 08:50 PM
Recently had this same issue myself, very annoying problem where a loud hissing noise would appear from my microphone when launching a game, tried a few solution and searched google for a solution (which brought me here), seeing as this thread is quite long I'm guessing a few people wouldnt mind trying the fix that worked for me - right click the mic options under ther phoebus software and change the sample rate to 48 Khz / 24 bits - I kid you not, this fix my audio mic buzz :)

Solbeamer
04-07-2016, 12:00 AM
Dozens of people here having sound noise problems. (only read 2 pages, sorry :P) All connected to the graphics cards and the place in the pc of it (same brand; ASUS)

I had the same issue. Driving a friend of mine insane by the chopper sound coming out of my pc by teamspeak. Always ragequiting cause of the noise :P.

Reading here (today I just went to google to see if anybody had solutions for the problem) I saw an ignored remark about painting nail polish on pc components.
Ignored?
Well....not by me! (I like silly. Often the silly hold all the wisdom :P)
My brain was like: AHA! Airborn Interfering unwanted transmition thingee!! Insulating the guilty party by smart dude!

Reading further more about distance between GTX cards and the rest of the pc only strengthened my believes one should not have overlooked the nailpolish solution. But I had another gettho solution.....
These crappy antistatic bags you get with every pc component! They JAM interference!

Nothing to lose, and glory to gain!

So I jammed a folded jamming bag into my pc (all the way to the back between little components to be sure it shielded all!), shielding the GTX card from the rest of the pc, and asked on ts to my friend if he stilled heared the warchopper sound.
.....IT WAS GONE!!! :D :D

''Victory for Sylvanas!!''

:D

hiong
04-07-2016, 04:00 AM
i don't see any Asus component in your system...

Florin
04-07-2016, 09:19 AM
You can short something with that in there, if i`m not mistaking that bag can conduct electricity, also you don`t have a Phoebus inside or anything else. Till now i find the fix with removing the metal bracket from the sound card the best.

Solbeamer
04-08-2016, 07:58 AM
You can short something with that in there, if i`m not mistaking that bag can conduct electricity, also you don`t have a Phoebus inside or anything else. Till now i find the fix with removing the metal bracket from the sound card the best.

Ohm meter gave me 1.000 at 1/2 mm distance and less.
So 100% current resistance. Shorting impossible.
Where did you get the info/idea it (a protecting bag for fragile electronics transport) would attract (made possible) unwanted current flow on the way to the customer (or even in the factory)?
Why would anybody make a bag like that for this PC stuff? :P

But you go with your solution. I know mine works.

Only thing left to banktest is warmth holding/absorbing abilities, and maybe needing warmth bouncing sheets. (white or reflecting -yes, I understand the metal thing :P-)

crookedview
05-03-2016, 01:59 AM
I had the same noise problem with my Strix RAID Pro card and in the end it turned out that the screw holding the bracket in place was too tight.

Loosened the screw just a bit and the noise went away.

To further combat the issue, I removed the metal bracket from the sound card and used some Plasti-Dip spray to insulate the metal bracket from the case.