PDA

View Full Version : G75 vs G55

Eynnl
07-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Hello members, newbie here to both the forum and ASUS. Hope I am posting in the correct area.

I am looking to purchase either of these models and would like your input. I have been reading and have noticed a lot of bad feedback on the G75 series, is the G55 better? Also can either of these be upgraded later..processors..memory?
Recently I came across a deal on this web site ..
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00332592000P#specs
Looking at the specs, there are differences, I called and they really we not able to address my concerns which worries me.
Example;
Processor Speed: 2.1 to 3 GHz ...but the CPU is a 3610QM no mention of turbo boost, but it does have the 2 different speeds there again wrong numbers. Looks like they copied and pasted from another site. From what I am also reading, does the PC really use 3Gigs for video?
Has anyone purchased their rig from here, Why did you choose say your G75 over your G55, pros and cons?

I have an Alienware now and while they do have good support, it spends more time in for repairs then anythng else I have had before. I'm not a gamer but like the speed and graphics, nothing worse then shuttering on videos, crappy pixels while surfing and I do use some graphics but just love a good PC? Thanks for any help in advance.

chrsplmr
07-01-2012, 03:49 PM
The basic difference between these two models is size. G75=17", G55=15"
The G75 has either 660 or 670gpu ... while the G55 has the 660
The G75 also has a 3d version while all are 3d ready with an external monitor.

While you may see what appears to be 'issues' with these ... RMA happens with all manufacturers.
Asus sold over 4Million of these units in the first quarter alone ... do the math ...
Personally this is the First I have ever seen or heard of Sears selling a G ...
Welcome to ROG.c.

sing_css
07-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi,I don't very know about g75 but I can share my opinion on G55~I did a lot of research and I found there are issues with previous batch beforeG55vw-S1131v (which is non 3d version but is FHD and sounds problems fixed) just a few days ago. I am very satisfied with its performance. High demanding game such as crysis 2 can be played smoothly in this machine. Its speaker you have to adjust with equalizer for better sound quality because it sounds quite deep (sorry my bad english)~ So, be careful if you are going to purchase g55, kindly check out the serial number behind G55vw-XXXXX.So far I am impressed by this machine~ Perhaps my opinion would help you~:)

john_from_ohio
07-01-2012, 05:04 PM
I am looking to purchase either of these models and would like your input. I have been reading and have noticed a lot of bad feedback on the G75 series, is the G55 better?

In my limited experience here ... as long as you get one assembled correctly the hardware is rock solid. Minor driver config issue with subwoofer on G75VW.

The G75VW is bigger and has a better cooling system and is somewhat less portable ( depends on how strong you are eh ? ).

The G75VW has a huge advantage of having 2 easily accessible Sata III internal drives ... while still keeping your DVD drive. For me that is a big choice that I would not want to lose.

Eynnl
07-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info. it really helps to get feedback. I guess the next choice to take into consideration is what is screen size. I am used to the 17 inch but goodness, to take it anywhere was a pain...not that I tote it around that often. My friend has a 15.6" laptop not surehow I feel about that 2" 's of screen...hmmm. No one local carries the ASUS line so it's not like I can run to the store and compare.
Like I posted before my current PC has been plauged with issues and I'll never own another, in fact the repair person was supposed to be here today (had parts since Thursday) paid for that "Complete Care Warranty" lot of good that did me. Just hope the ASUS gets me through without the drama.
Guess I am off to see who has the best deal, any promotions out there right now anyone knows of?

Hope I can post soon that I've become a member of the club!!!

Brian_ROG
07-02-2012, 12:00 AM
There are many retailers to choose from. Newegg.com, Amazon.com, Tigerdirect.com, etc... or you can pick one up at Bestbuy or at Bestbuy.com. These sites have at least a 30 day return policy in place in case of any issues at first. Make sure to research the many different versions for what it comes with and price.

Also take note that some retailers versions come with different warranties, 1 or 2 year Asus Global warranty.

I have the G75, it's a great machine. The 17 inch screen is nice and you can have 2 Hard drives, it's nice to have an SSD for boot drive and a secondary drive for storage.

Good Luck in choosing the version you want and welcome to ROG!

sing_css
07-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Yeah, that is something make you tiring to carry such big machine~Perhaps you get yours fighting machine soon ;)

Destroyer99
07-02-2012, 02:19 AM
Eynnl i was in the EXACT same situation as you. At first i wanted the G55 cause it was smaller, but when i saw the G75 at sears website for 1339 i bought it on the spot. Why? Well the G75
2 hard drive bays, the GtX670, and well even though the G75 is bigger i looked at the weight between the 55 and 75 and they are almost the same.

Eynnl
07-02-2012, 03:31 AM
@Destroyer99 , I have called Sears 3 times and have asked if the PC included "Turbo Boost". If you look at the stats it states that the PC comes with the 3610QM @ 2.1-3GHz (Processor Speed: 2.1 to 3 GHz) right from their site. If it is the new Ivy Bridge would it not say i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz) and state Turbo Boost?
I searched for 2 days for pricing and comparison shopping. There is also a question as to the screen...is it glare or matte? Think they told me glare.??? Can you please fill me in as to what you got? I'm just a detail person and picky I guess LOL.

Thanks for the welcomes and hopefully before the week is out I hope I can find the right ASUS for me. Pretty sure I will stick with the G75 can't see going down in size :cool:

@Brian_ROG I have been looking again all day... may go the custom route unless Destroyer99 can help me out since the techies @ Sears are not 100% clear about what they are selling. I was thinking of calling ASUS direct, not sure if they could help. At this point doing a custom is looking better, I have spent so long researching.

Rep points to all! Thanks :)

Destroyer99
07-02-2012, 05:01 AM
@Destroyer99 , I have called Sears 3 times and have asked if the PC included "Turbo Boost". If you look at the stats it states that the PC comes with the 3610QM @ 2.1-3GHz (Processor Speed: 2.1 to 3 GHz) right from their site. If it is the new Ivy Bridge would it not say i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz) and state Turbo Boost?
I searched for 2 days for pricing and comparison shopping. There is also a question as to the screen...is it glare or matte? Think they told me glare.??? Can you please fill me in as to what you got? I'm just a detail person and picky I guess LOL.

Thanks for the welcomes and hopefully before the week is out I hope I can find the right ASUS for me. Pretty sure I will stick with the G75 can't see going down in size :cool:

@Brian_ROG I have been looking again all day... may go the custom route unless Destroyer99 can help me out since the techies @ Sears are not 100% clear about what they are selling. I was thinking of calling ASUS direct, not sure if they could help. At this point doing a custom is looking better, I have spent so long researching.

Rep points to all! Thanks :)

Screen is not glare, its matte. Its saying 2.30ghz on my laptop so i guess the 2.1 is a typo. For Turbo boost, im pretty sure it is Turbo boost.
The Sears site had a few typos but if you want the exact info look at http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwrs72-eta-midjune-p-4475.html

All RS72s are the same pretty much.

kiba
07-02-2012, 10:31 AM
if you have the money, go for the alienware m18x, falcon nw drx, or origin laptops otherwise, as far as affordable ones go, asus g75/g55 is a good choice, and samsung just came out with the series 7 gamer, which looks good. (both asus g series and samsung series 7 gamer have comparable cooling design to the more expensive gaming laptops, [unlike msi, bleh] which makes them a very good value) stay away from msi and sager, in my experience w/ them, theyre garbage. rife w/ problems. and sager is made like a toddler threw it together.

BUT, and a big but, you wont get the same experience or performance out of a gaming laptop than a desktop rig, you can throw one together w/ older parts, and it will still perform much better. that said, i love sitting in a recliner and relaxing while playing games and watching tv at the same time. but... if im raiding w/ freinds or playing a serious game of bf3, ill always be on the desktop.

Eynnl
07-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Well, if I order from Sears I could always download the Intel® Processor Identification Utility...run it and see what happens. I was going to order a HP dv7t Quad Editin but they said that the 3610QM did not have the Turboboost Technology. So...

I have an Alienware....never again, they always overheat, and I recently sent it in to be repaired even though they should come to my home. They scratched it all up and I have been waiting since Thursday for my 24 hour in home repair, feel like a prisioner.

Guess I am just going to dive on in and order the ASUS G75VW-RS72 customize it and be done, tha way there are no questions as to what I am getting. Going to make a call now, made a list of questions, as long as I get them answered and am happy I'll bite the bullet and order. I'll sell the Alienware (love it but it does not like me.)

I'll post later and tell you what I came up with. Everyone here has been very supportive and a big help.

Eynnl
07-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Well, if I order from Sears I could always download the Intel® Processor Identification Utility...run it and see what happens. I was going to order a HP dv7t Quad Editin but they said that the 3610QM did not have the Turboboost Technology. So...

I have an Alienware....never again, they always overheat, and I recently sent it in to be repaired even though they should come to my home. They scratched it all up and I have been waiting since Thursday for my 24 hour in home repair, feel like a prisioner.

Guess I am just going to dive on in and order the ASUS G75VW-RS72 customize it and be done, tha way there are no questions as to what I am getting. Going to make a call now, made a list of questions, as long as I get them answered and am happy I'll bite the bullet and order. I'll sell the Alienware (love it but it does not like me.)

I'll post later and tell you what I came up with. Everyone here has been very supportive and a big help.

I have no idea how eeoryou and got in the begining of the post LOL
Can tell you this, my friend got their HP and HP stated it did not have turbo but I had the run the intel utility program and sure nuff....turboboost! I I can always return if I'm not happy.

Eynnl
07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
OK changed my mind the G75VW that I was looking at on the Sears site just went on sale for the 4th...1200.00 US
If you know of anyone wanting to jump in and get a reasonable deal this would be the time. I have the site if anyone wants the info. sale ends July 4th! At that price you can do any upgrades at a reasonable cost.

john_from_ohio
07-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Can tell you this, my friend got their HP and HP stated it did not have turbo but I had the run the intel utility program and sure nuff....turboboost!

Ummm ... the turbo boost is a property/technology used by intel in the processors that they produce. It speeds up one core ( or maybe more than one core ) to speeds above the base frequency.

It is all the recent Intel processors ( as far as I know ) certainly all the ivy bridge models.

You are asking questions probably that sales people on the receiving end have no idea about ... so they probably just say "no sorry does not have that". All you really need to do is know what intel processor it has and then do some google searching on that processor to get to exact specifications. Lots of hardware review sites etc with stress tests on the recent intel processors etc.

Have fun with your G75!

ennyl
07-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks John,

I would have liked to have the choice to make changes but that can come later. I am almost 100% that it has the boost in there, it has the Mobile Intel HM77 Express.
HP did not even know theirs was turbo...I have not looked recently but it was not listed on the site and I spoke with 2 techs and they swore the PC did not have turbo. Unless I'm seeing things the intel utility is lying.

kiba
07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks John,

I would have liked to have the choice to make changes but that can come later. I am almost 100% that it has the boost in there, it has the Mobile Intel HM77 Express.
HP did not even know theirs was turbo...I have not looked recently but it was not listed on the site and I spoke with 2 techs and they swore the PC did not have turbo. Unless I'm seeing things the intel utility is lying.
like john said, it does, they all do, all i7 ivy bridge processors that i know of, and all i7 sandy bridge processors that i know of. that said, plz do not get an hp if you plan on using it for gaming, lol.

gjohnson
07-05-2012, 01:42 PM
....... that said, i love sitting in a recliner and relaxing while playing games and watching tv at the same time. but... if I'm raiding w/ friends or playing a serious game of bf3, ill always be on the desktop.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you said that - that's how i use my laptop - on my lap - but I keep hearing how heavy the G75 is & I've been worried it would be too heavy to be used that way. My current 17"HP is 3.5kg - I'm hoping an extra kg will be OK?
Please reassure me........
Graham.

john_from_ohio
07-05-2012, 02:12 PM
gj:

I'm glad you said that - that's how i use my laptop - on my lap - but I keep hearing how heavy the G75 is & I've been worried it would be too heavy to be used that way. My current 17"HP is 3.5kg - I'm hoping an extra kg will be OK?

It's definitely thick as a brick ... it really belongs on a desk in my opinion but at least ... at least ... a lap desk type setup.

Shawnnepc
07-05-2012, 03:45 PM
All the i7 CPUs have TurboBoost EXCEPT socket 1366 i7-9xx series (long since discontinued)

On topic of the laptop:

Make sure Sears is selling the unit with it's stock 2 yr warranty

The Best Buy versions of the G series only include 1 year manufacturer / 1 year AWP so, they are best avoided if possible!

ennyl
07-05-2012, 11:15 PM
I missed out on the deal double checking if the specs were true, no 2 year that I saw and on mosts sites that you can order, I am only seeing a 1/1 warranty??? Anyone want to tell me who carries the 2/1 warranty please?

ennyl
07-12-2012, 05:00 AM
Just an update, I ordered my G75 just a few mins. ago.
I have been overwhelmed as of late and I have seen some threads as to what to do when you get your ROG.
Can someone point me to a few of these I would be very thankful, there just never seems to be enough time in the day.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have good luck with this model ...I can't wait!!!!!

Thanks for all your input and help.... :)
One of the reasons I am here and would like to learn and help others down the road.

Too Supreme
07-13-2012, 01:39 AM
I would say the G75 is better because its only .3 pounds heavier and has a bigger screen, larger spaced out keyboard, and has a better cooling system.

Eynnl
07-15-2012, 02:28 AM
I noticed there was not that much of a difference in weight. I sasw the post on what to do when you first get your ROG not sure if I am going to do those steps or not, I'll have a ton of questions I'm sure. I been an AW user ..<insert long story here>..and have given up on the brand so on to Asus : )
Not sure if I should ask this question here might have better luck in the other thread ....what about Windows Updates? Yes or No on installing them all?