PDA

View Full Version : New G75 owner - Antivirus/Malware choices

ChoaticRobotic
07-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Hello,

I'm new to ROG Forum, been lurking for a few weeks. I've had a macbook pro for 6 years and I'm now switching to a G75. Being a mac user has not made me ignorant to Windows, I actually use Windows a lot for school (I want to be a Game Dev). But at school the computers run deep freeze, so I have no experience with antivirus software. So what do you use? Should I buy software or is the free stuff just as good? Would you recommend using more than one, like two or three?

Thanks!

soulctcher
07-01-2012, 09:47 PM
There are a number of choices out there, but one thing is certain, you'll want a combination of products. Personally, I use Avast and MalwareBytes on my machines...have for years. They're both free and do the job well. Others will have their preferences as well, and I'm sure they're just as valid.

desailly
07-01-2012, 09:48 PM
i use a free avira antivirus ... it has occasional pop ups but its still free and nevertheless pretty good to use IMHO

MaXimus711
07-01-2012, 09:48 PM
I bought BitDefender Internet Security 2013 2 years license from a local store for only 25 USD :) very light and excellent protection

john_from_ohio
07-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Like soulcatcher noted ... at this time the windows environment is so nasty that you probably want a combination of products.

I also like Malware Bytes Anti Malware for my 2nd product and it integrates well with my 1st choice Norton Internet Security ( NIS ) 2012 which has both antivirus/firewall etc.

Do some looking around at the reputable places that review these products and check out the ratings/etc.

Have a tested and proven backup solution in place "just in case" all the protection efforts prove ineffective!

*** Just to note ... when having more than 1 product some combinations do not work well if at all together.

MPelissari
07-01-2012, 10:32 PM
I use Kaspersky Pure 2.0, runs with very low requirements and doesn't stress the laptop at all...

kiba
07-01-2012, 11:22 PM
i use pandaGP2012 antivirus/firewall and malwarebytes for malware, but i used to use AdAware too, but im not sure if its valid anymore.

smart-ass24-7
07-02-2012, 07:42 AM
There are a number of choices out there, but one thing is certain, you'll want a combination of products. Personally, I use Avast and MalwareBytes on my machines...have for years. They're both free and do the job well. Others will have their preferences as well, and I'm sure they're just as valid.

+1 for this combo.

I've used this combo for years and Have given it to everyone I know who want a free solution, never an issue.

PC_744
07-02-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm using ESET Smart Security 5 and what I can tell you is : It's awesome. It's fast, light, smooth, and very powerful. I recommend that you give ESET A try. You download a free trail for 30 Days!. You won't be disappointed I used it for years now and everything is working fine. :)

teobeo94
07-02-2012, 10:26 AM
free avast av, comodo firewall, and malwarebytes anti malware are the best combo IMO :)

Wolffie80
07-02-2012, 01:54 PM
i use a free avira antivirus ... it has occasional pop ups but its still free and nevertheless pretty good to use IMHO

Same here. For a light user it is a anti virus wich is good and uses hardly no resourses. Have been happy with this for a few years now :)

Brian Andrew
07-02-2012, 05:05 PM
I use a free avast antivirus..http://www.free-antivirus.co/antivirus/avast-free.html

Theodor
07-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I know this is like swearing in church in this ensemble, but I admit it - I use Microsoft Security Essentials (free). Have been using it with built in win 7 firewall for 5 years now. Haven't got any viruses yet (that i know of). In my reasoning MS knows the os best, and therefore will make a streamlined integrated antivirus. Have used Zonealarm/Kaspersky/Avast/AVG earlier, all were good products, but they all seemed to use quite a bit of resources, but then again - haven't used them in a bit. Run debate ;)

HiVizMan
07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Theodor you and me both.

I have been putting Microsoft Sec Essentials on systems for some time now and really happy with the level of protection to new OS installs. I think that MSE must be one of the best free AV options at this time.

john_from_ohio
07-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I know this is like swearing in church in this ensemble, but I admit it - I use Microsoft Security Essentials (free). Have been using it with built in win 7 firewall for 5 years now.

Not at all like "swearing in church" ... lots of different opinions here.

rabbert.klein
07-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials, Firefox plugins (noscript, adblock, httpseverwhere, etc.) and just being smart about what I am doing has served me extremely well over the years.

Dark
07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
malwarebytes anti malware as for anti virus if your pc can run it get NOD32 its best one out but some of the free stuff is good too avast Kaspersky not free but good also zone alarm is a good one as as both spyware n virus + fire wall

at mo im using nod32 with malwarebytes n spybot lol great combo if you add advance system care too it.

BrandeX
07-03-2012, 04:52 AM
+1 for avast

sunninho
07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Microsoft Security Essentials (free) + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Lifetime ($21/never expires)... done.

kiba
07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Microsoft Security Essentials (free) + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Lifetime ($21/never expires)... done.i use the free version, what's the difference?

MaXimus711
07-03-2012, 12:33 PM
i use the free version, what's the difference?

The difference is that the Pro version offers Proactive protection as well not just on demand scanning.

I have a lifetime license but after rigorous testing, I found out that it is best not to run to programs that do live scanning even though you can setup exclusions in both your antivirus and MBAM to exclude each other from scanning, they would still scan for the same file hindering your performance and causing trouble sometimes.

I once was facing an issue where if i play more than one mp3 / audio file at once...the sound chipset would go crazy and would stutter like hell....never could've thought MBAM pro was the problem...until I gave it a shot and the moment I disabled the active scanning in PRo, everything went back to normal....

Ill never run 2 security live scanning programs at the same time again.

Right now I am using Bitdefender Internet SEcurity 2013 and it offers superb performance as it is very light on the system yet ranks amongst the highest online in detecting / removing viruses.

sort of what NOD32 / Eset Smart Security used to be in the past

Hoder
07-04-2012, 05:08 AM
MS Security Essentials on all 4 computers here also. We have one machine here shared by the family and friends (virus magnets) and it's never failed to block what they've come across.

ChoaticRobotic
07-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks for all the input!

I'm really glad I got a ROG laptop. This forum has been so helpful!

Brian Andrew
07-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Well,If someone don't have antivirus the try AVAST because it is too good and also free..http://www.free-antivirus.co/articles/Security-Sphere-2012-Malware-client-and-Prevention-173.html

Bundy_Drop_Bear
07-13-2012, 02:49 PM
I use AVG Internet security and MBAM.