PDA

View Full Version : Optimus

merchantm
03-08-2011, 02:54 PM
hi,

On my Nvidia control panel menu bar I have options of File, Edit, Desktop, 3D Settings and Help.

I am trying to set up all the "Run with graphics processor" options, and in the Nvidia help it says to go through the View menu on the control panel menu bar.

However it isn't there.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

merchantm
03-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I am using the 267.24 Driver.

Or is there some sort of detailed guide around for setting up all this?

Thanks very much.

Renzo7
03-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Hello,

I believe Optimus has been disabled by the manufacturer. As far as I know, we can't enable it.

Maybe someone else has different information?

merchantm
03-08-2011, 04:52 PM
oh not good.

does anyone have a link to a guide for really fine-tuning the graphics capabilities of the G73?

I want to get this thing optimised (without Optimus I guess haha)

Renzo7
03-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't have one, I'm afraid. There's a guy at NBR that says he gets 4.5 hours of battery life by tuning his settings but I have no idea how he gets that since he didn't specify what he did. I get about 2 hours on the battery saving plan. Good luck with this! Hopefully someone can shed some more light on how to optimize our performance plans for longer battery life.

Brian@ASUS
03-08-2011, 05:55 PM
optimus is designed for cpus that have integrated graphics. the G73 uses the high end core i7 which do not feature integrated graphics so optimus is automatically disabled. optimus is switchable graphics and if you switched from your dedicated, you would not have graphics at all. Optimus is usually available on lower gpu models from 310-335

Chastity@ASUS
03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
PowerMiser on nVidia works very well, and will downclock the 460M to 51/135 on idle. You should be able to squeeze out about 3 hrs on the battery. I'm sure if you went nuts in tweaking all the power states and disabling what you don't need, then you could get more.

merchantm
03-08-2011, 09:56 PM
hi, no I am not fussed about the power management. What I want to do is optimise the graphics and cpu etc and and this machine run awesome.

Renzo7
03-09-2011, 04:25 AM
PowerMiser on nVidia works very well, and will downclock the 460M to 51/135 on idle. You should be able to squeeze out about 3 hrs on the battery. I'm sure if you went nuts in tweaking all the power states and disabling what you don't need, then you could get more.

Thank you, Chastity! I'll look into downloading it.