PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 free of bloatware.

SerosRDPS
07-03-2012, 04:28 AM
This post here -> http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers has a link to a win7 iso that I've downloaded and seems to be straight from microsoft w/o the asus bloatware. Can anyone confirm that the code on the bottom of the computer will work with the referenced iso on the G75VW? I'm aware that I'll have to install drivers.

The reason I'm doing this is I'm using the image to create my own recovery drive on my new ssd using only 4g of space then install windows without the bloatware. The 25gpartition is way too big. And it looks like it's windows installation is 8.5g large- way too big for windows.

Maybe this can be answered with a link, but I've been reading the forums for a bit, haven't seen this confirmed.

Wilcam
07-03-2012, 04:42 AM
I used the same ISO image to do a clean Win 7 install for my G75 and it installed perfectly.

The Win 7 will be installed with another set of activation code in the image, but the OS will prompt you to update with your own activation code after some time if you don’t do so after completing the installation.

SerosRDPS
07-03-2012, 05:05 AM
Just to be clear. The windows you installed with that image is can be activated using the code on the bottom of my computer?

Can you give me more detail on "the other activation code in the image" that you mentioned?

Wilcam
07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
After you installed the Win 7 with the ISO image, if you navigate to the "System & Security > System", you can see the information on the Window Activation Product ID. You just have to change the product key to your own Product ID key on the bottom of your laptop

Redking117
07-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Does this installation include both X64 and X86 installations?

Definitely downloading this, it's very hard to find these ISO's outside of "illegal" torrents.

I needed one for a repair the other day, and need some copies in my shop for repair.

SerosRDPS
07-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Shoot. I actually can't tell which it is. I need the 64 bit version.

Why couldn't asus just give you the option to install the bloatware? So annoying to have to jump through all these hoops.

SerosRDPS
07-03-2012, 11:04 PM
After a bit of research, I'm 99% sure the file is for x64.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/52930-how-distinguish-32-bit-64-bit-iso-2.html

It shows the name of the dvd in the drive and gives reference. The name of the mounted iso it shows there is the name I get when I mount the iso

I'm not ready to actually install it yet on any hd, just want to make sure I have the right version.