PDA

View Full Version : Damage the headphones with higher gain then nominal impedance?

yogibuh
07-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Hello,

i have the sennheiser hd 598 headphones. The technical data sheet says 50 ohms for the impedance. My question is now: Can i damage my headphones when i set to high gain (6db) 64-150 ohms? - xonar phoebus

thanks in advance

Operation Nadethrow
07-03-2012, 11:39 PM
i read in the www that u can destroy the amplifier.

tboo72
07-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Hello,

i have the sennheiser hd 598 headphones. The technical data sheet says 50 ohms for the impedance. My question is now: Can i damage my headphones when i set to high gain (6db) 64-150 ohms? - xonar phoebus

thanks in advance

Why would you set the gain higher?

yogibuh
07-04-2012, 06:53 PM
because it interests me. Wanted a professional answer, if only the sound is bad or whether you can really damage the headphone or amplifier.

greeting

Raja@ASUS
07-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Really depends on the sensitivity and power handling of the phones. If they need little voltage for maximum power output then it is possible to damage your phones and ear if you set the gain to maximum. So, just stick with the nominal gain to start withm,, get a feel of how the volume scales before you make any rash adjustments. It's all about common sense. think of it this way, if you have an amplifier would you really want to turn the gain all the way up to max just to be curious?

yogibuh
07-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Really depends on the sensitivity and power handling of the phones. If they need little voltage for maximum power output then it is possible to damage your phones and ear if you set the gain to maximum. So, just stick with the nominal gain to start withm,, get a feel of how the volume scales before you make any rash adjustments. It's all about common sense. think of it this way, if you have an amplifier would you really want to turn the gain all the way up to max just to be curious?
thanks, for the really good answer. I set to nominal gain.
A great sound for music and gaming with sennheiser hd 598 @ phoebus.

ciao