PDA

View Full Version : Cloning OS HDD to create Win7 bootable SSD using Norton Ghost 15

neilkellen
07-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Has anyone tried this with success. I am trying to copy my primary drive onto a Samsung 256gb model 830 and can't seem to get a useable bootdrive from the copy process. Any suggestions.would be helpful.

Dennis St. John
07-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Is the reason you are trying to clone because you have existing data and apps you wish to preserve? Best bet is to start from scratch, but how... Recovery DVDs or fresh windows install. The problem you are experiencing is probably that your system has GPT partition type but Ghost doesn't support. If you are adamant about cloning, you may need to buy a cloning software that supports cloning GPT partition type (like Macrium Reflect Pro Edition). What model is your ASUS book?

neilkellen
07-04-2012, 12:19 AM
I have the G75VW-BBK. I've already upgraded the RAM to 16gb and added a storage drive. The primary disk is set to GPT. Any other software options available to clone this?

Dennis St. John
07-04-2012, 12:42 AM
I have not found any free software out there to do this. If you are dead set on cloning, you'll likely have to cough up a few bucks to get the job done. If this is a failry new purchase, it might just be easier to go the Recovery DVD route. However, if you do, make sure you get the latest version of ASUS AI Recovery software, because the one that ships has bugs. That is what I ran into anyway. I spent the better portion of last weekend going through this on my G75VW RS72. But I just went the ASUS Recovery DVD route. Here's one for $39 that supports GPT partition cloning: http://www.todo-backup.com/business/workstation-backup.htm

Then there is the "install W7 from scratch" to avoid the bloatware route, which will require much more hoop jumping than some are willing to do. There are threads on this forum that will assist though.

john_from_ohio
07-04-2012, 12:58 AM
Has anyone tried this with success. I am trying to copy my primary drive onto a Samsung 256gb model 830 and can't seem to get a useable bootdrive from the copy process. Any suggestions.would be helpful.

Ghost is probably having issues with the UEFI setup.

Easiest way to do this is to use the recovery DVDs.

Start by uninstalling the live update utility before something bad happens then update asus recovery utility to latest available. Burn the recovery DVDs.

Pull out original factory drive and having only the SSD inside follow Cecils guide Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75 (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16557-Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75&country=&status=)

After system recovery is done you can resize partitions and/or ditch recovery partition on the sammie ( I like MiniTool Partition Wizard free version ).

Not sure why so many people cannot find this info but this is the easy way. Follow Cecils guide and be patient while recovery dads do the work.

After finishing recovery immediately uninstall live update ... follow my steps on "what to do first"

Shawnnepc
07-04-2012, 02:53 AM
Hey there.

I've tried cloning spin drives to SSD's in the past and never had much success.

Normal spin disk installs don't usually have TRIM enabled or ACHI.

Without these your SSD will not behave optimally

My best advice would be to start from scratch.

Dennis St. John
07-04-2012, 03:28 AM
I could not agree more! Start from scratch. You will be glad you did! Whether you go Recovery DVD route or true scratch install from a Windows 7 SP1 installation DVD, it'll be a move you won't regret! Currently going through this on an older model (a little less than a couple year old) ASUS G73JW Series and it's not all that bad. 2 - 3 hours from start to finish...

GregT
11-12-2012, 10:25 PM
I tried Acronis 2012, supports GPT, UEFI etc. Starting booting up, then went to screen . . . either continue booting or repair using Recovery partition. Anyway, if you made/make the ASUS Recovery Disks, you can recover to a new SSD no problem. However, the Recovery Partition is factory installed, and re-installs Windows 7 Home Premium only. My machine (G75VW) has Windows 7 Pro installed. After Windows 7 Home Premium recovery/installation, I went to Windows Anytime Upgrade, it asked me if I wanted to purchase a Product Key or did I already have one . . . picked already have one and then typed in the Product Key on the bottom of the Laptop for Windows 7 Pro. It automatically went to the web and downloaded the necessary files to upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Pro (based on the Win 7 Pro Product Key inserted). Keep in mind, you already need to be running Windows 7 and have an Internet Connection.
Hope this helps . . . worked for me.

HiVizMan
11-13-2012, 09:08 AM
It works no problem with Paragon Backup and Recovery. What I did was remove the mechanical drive from my Laptop and clone the entire drive as a exact copy to a SSD.

I keep the mechanical drive as my back up and have not used it for anything else.