PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Backlight Stoped Working!

schwec79j
03-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum, I have the g73jh-rbbxx05 (best buy) model. I've had it for a few months. Yesterday I upgraded the RAM from 6 to 8 gb. I came home from work and I noticed the keyboard don't light up anymore, the fn f4 and f3 keys don't work. I tried a few things and nothing works. The memory is compatable, i deleted the keyboard drivers and they reinstalled still don't work. Could it be a bios issue? I have bios 204. I'm running out of ideas, help me if you can, I really like my light up keyboard.

MarkS
03-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Try reinstalling the ATKPackage?

schwec79j
03-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Yes, I reinstalled the ATK Package and still nothing. I don't understand why it would suddenly stop working. Any other ideas?

Chastity@ASUS
03-10-2011, 06:07 AM
First off, update your BIOS. 213 is out, and fixes a few issues since 204.
Also check to see if they still flash on startup POST. If so, then they are working.
When in Windows, use Fn+F4 to raise the lights. If that doesn't work, cycle the 1st ASUS button (top 3 buttons) on the left til it says All Lights On. Then hit Fn+F4

schwec79j
03-10-2011, 11:30 AM
I haven't updated my bios yet but i plan on it. The lights do not flash on bootup like they used too. I did all that stuff with the buttons and fn keys. After I upgraded the ram to 8 i noticed the light don't work, could the bios fix that? Or is it something else?

Grimesb
03-11-2011, 06:56 AM
I have had the same problem with the backlights going out. This is the second time this has happened. I purchased the G73JW last month, and have been updating software and so forth, mostly trying to get all the latest drivers etc.
My keyboard lights work, as in they will flash during start up. However the F3 & F4 functions no longer affect the back light. It simply remains off. The light function key (top Left corner) still works to turn on Blue LED's , just no effect on keyboard.
I recently tried reinstalling the Bios update because the subwoofer continually made a tapping sound, and occasionally does it now and again. It seems as though the keyboard or palm rests may affect the steady tapping as it sometimes comes back intermittently.

schwec79j
03-12-2011, 10:29 AM
I wonder since the lights don't flash at bootup that I'm kind of screwed? I mean it's not a huge deal but the lightup keyboard was a nice selling point for me and over all I love this machine. I just hope when I flash the bios with winflash it fixes it.

Josea
03-12-2011, 11:11 AM
WinFLASH????? I would not recommend using that tool to flash the BIOS, Better(safer) to do it directly from the BIOS with EZFLASH. When you added the RAM did you have to do anything more that remove the cover on the bottom of the computer?

schwec79j
03-12-2011, 08:24 PM
No when I added the ram thats all I did. Took the bottom cover off and that's it. I wonder if upping the RAM with the bios I have now had something to do with the key board lights not working? So winflash is no good? I haven't updated a bios in years so I don't know whats good and whats not.

Grimesb
03-13-2011, 06:06 PM
OK, I have reloaded the Bios 205 on the G73JW. The keyboard lights still do not work.
They flash at startup, so I know they physically operate, I just cannot turn them on.
What else can I do?
Thank you Chastity, there is loads of info you have posted so far, but I'm still at a loss.

Grimesb
03-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Not only have I reloaded Bios 205 in the G73JW, I have uninstalled and reloaded the ATK Package as well and still no luck. The F5 and F6 keys work so the function key seems to be OK. I am also having TrayApp.msi file issues now during startup. Might these be related?
I am seriously ready to send this laptop back to service center, this is getting frustrating.

Chastity@ASUS
03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Update to ATK Package 1.0.0008. Then you can use Fn+F4 to get the lights on.

Josea
03-14-2011, 02:27 PM
No when I added the ram thats all I did. Took the bottom cover off and that's it. I wonder if upping the RAM with the bios I have now had something to do with the key board lights not working? So winflash is no good? I haven't updated a bios in years so I don't know whats good and whats not.
I cannot image that upgrading ram would effect the KB lights, but if you can easily remove the ram you added I would test that first.
Also what happens if you press the button in the uppper left corner that looks like a crossed out lamp? It should allow you to cycle through lights off, lights on etc.

Line XI in this thread maybe of help. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/492354-all-g73jh-problems-solutions-here.html
IF you decide to RMA instead, and you have a choice, I would go with the Calif facility, there are mixed reviews for Indy

schwec79j
03-14-2011, 09:14 PM
I did test the ram, i took out what i added to see what would happen and the kb lights still didnt work. I also checked out that button on the top corner where you can cycle through the lights and still nothing.

Chastity@ASUS
03-15-2011, 01:23 AM
You need to cycle it until it says "All Lights On" THEN hit Fn+F4

schwec79j
03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
You need to cycle it until it says "All Lights On" THEN hit Fn+F4

I did that too, still nothing.

Chastity@ASUS
03-16-2011, 03:09 AM
Even after updating to ATK 1.0.0008?

schwec79j
03-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Even after updating to ATK 1.0.0008?

the asus support sight only has up too ATK 1.0.0005

Josea
03-16-2011, 11:21 AM
the asus support sight only has up too ATK 1.0.0005
Schwec79c, the best place to get the latest drivers is from this first post in this thread http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference
Thanks much to Chastity for all her hard work keeping this up to date. But since your lights do not flash before or after post you may want to try the BIOS flash I linked to in line 13 of this thread.

schwec79j
03-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Updated to ATK 1.0.0008. Still same issue.

Chastity@ASUS
03-22-2011, 05:01 PM
now cycle the light controller til it says "all lights on" then use fn+F4

schwec79j
03-22-2011, 06:59 PM
now cycle the light controller til it says "all lights on" then use fn+F4

I did that and still nothing.

Chastity@ASUS
03-22-2011, 08:04 PM
http://pcaudio.org/stuff/G73JhFixKBLights.rar

Run this package off a bootable USB flash drive (like the one made for vBIOS updating)

schwec79j
03-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Ok, updated to bios 213, and ran the keyboard fix. It worked! Game on, thank all of you soo much for your help and especially Chastity, thank you soo much. All of you are awsome!
Thanks again,

Jim

Duell Blevins
04-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Hi guys,

I just saw this thread while looking for a keyboard light fix on this exact same laptop. Mine had a crappy seagate hard drive in it when I bought it, it died after a month and I had to send it back. When I got it back though the keyboarding lights weren't working and I just blew it off since I didn't think I really needed them.

Well now it's kind of hard to see my keyboard in darker areas at my college and at home. I just used EasyFlash and flashed my BIOS from 209 (which whoever fixed it updated it to) to 213 and my lights still aren't working.

I was wondering how exactly I use the fix from Chastity on a USB drive though. I'm not really that tech savy so instructions would be much appreciated :)

Chastity@ASUS
04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Make a bootable USB stick (you can get the utility from the GSOD package) and follow the instructions on the GSOD Fix page (see stickies)

Then copy the files from the KBFix package onto the bootable, and restart the machine, spamming ESC during POST. You'll get a boot menu, and select your USB Stick drive. Once at a prompt, follow the instructions listed in the KB Fix thread sticky.

Duell Blevins
04-06-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm guessing those files in your previous link are the same ones in the GSOD fix thread to make a bootable USB? Btw can you still use a bootable USB to store data?

So do I extract all those files to say my desktop and then insert a USB then run the HPUSBDisk.exe? Then put the win98 boot files on the USB after it's formatted?

Sorry for so many questions haha.

Duell Blevins
04-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm getting the same screen as this guy in the other thread about this. Figured out how to make my USB bootable though :)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/513264-keyboard-light-fix-gary-key-8.html#post7274516

EDIT: Nevermind! I had to reboot again for it to work for some reason.

It now shows the icon and is recognizing my fn+f3/4, but the backlight still isn't on. Any ideas?

Josea
04-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Duell, at this point do the lights flash when you turn on the machine? If so it is fixed, but you have to (as Chasity states above) cycle the light controller til it says "all lights on" then use fn+F4. The light controller is the button on the upper left corner of the machine, (first of the 3). It should show on screen the status - all lights off, etc...
I know how frustraing these things can be.

Duell Blevins
04-07-2011, 01:32 AM
No they don't even flash when I turn the laptop on at all. I don't think it's the software side with mine :(

Chastity@ASUS
04-07-2011, 01:07 PM
If it doesn't work after applying the kbfix properly, then I guess it's time to RMA. :(

SnakeEyes11
06-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Hope I am not repeating what somebody else said but you mentioned they worked, then you upgraded your ram. Did you unplug any ribbons like I had to do when adding my Sata3 Ssd? I had the same issue but broke down the back of the laptop and even though I put the ribbon back like it was supposed to i did it a second time and made sure it was put back nice and tight and then my lights appeared again. Maybe thats your issue. So Try again to reconnect the cable.

Mark.Levin
11-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Hey guys, so I downloaded this fix... but I cannot make the bootable drive cuz it says that there are no valid DOS files at specified location, even thoug i specify it correctly =( Any suggestions?

Mark.Levin
11-10-2011, 07:19 AM
I just updated the bios wit this winflash.... and just read that winflash kills backlights >< Hope u guys can help me =)

380mcn
11-10-2011, 09:58 AM
winflash doesn't kill backlight. it kills your pc! lol!

in this post http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference you have a new keyboard fix for the g73. hope it helps. like people said, format the usb in fat32, Make it bootable, (you can get the utility from the GSOD package) and follow the instructions on the GSOD Fix page (see stickies)

Then copy the files from the KBFix package onto the bootable, and restart the machine, spamming ESC during POST. You'll get a boot menu, and select your USB Stick drive. Once at a prompt, follow the instructions listed in the KB Fix thread sticky.

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 10:17 AM
I just updated the bios wit this winflash.... and just read that winflash kills backlights >< Hope u guys can help me =)
Where did you read that Winflash kills backlights?

Mark.Levin
11-10-2011, 04:40 PM
winflash doesn't kill backlight. it kills your pc! lol!

in this post http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference you have a new keyboard fix for the g73. hope it helps. like people said, format the usb in fat32, Make it bootable, (you can get the utility from the GSOD package) and follow the instructions on the GSOD Fix page (see stickies)

I'm doing excatly this and when use the tool trying to create bootble disk I choose this win98 folder and it says that there are no valid dos files at the location... Any ideas why?

Mark.Levin
11-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I read about Winflsh and lights somewhere on this forum, probalby in another thread

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 06:48 PM
It doesn't have to be bootable, it only needs to be fat32 formatted and then you copy the unnzipped bios file to it. Then you restart and enter the BIOS and run EasyFlash (it's built in to the BIOS), tell it whwre the bios file is, then follow directions exactly.

evga
04-12-2012, 02:53 PM
if anyone have Fixmykb.rar file please upload or pm me. I lost my keyboard backlit after bios update.
thank you

fuzon1337
04-12-2012, 09:06 PM
if anyone have Fixmykb.rar file please upload or pm me. I lost my keyboard backlit after bios update.
thank you

@Evga, have you tried to uninstall the ATK package, reboot, install the atk package (either the latest one or the one from the driver cd if you got that) and then reboot, any different?

Also be sure to use Fn + F4 to turn it on.

Does the backlight flash at all during boot up ?

EDIT: Okey so I did find these .rar files from notebookreview forum (post #361): (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/490250-asus-g73jh-keyboard-light-failure-after-bios-flash-209-a-37.html)

without bootables

http://forced-inductions.com/fixmykb.rar

with bootables

http://forced-inductions.com/G73JhFixKBLights.rar

I hope this helps, and perhaps one of the @asus people will make it on a thread so others who have issues with the backlight have the possibility to find it on this forum instead :)

EDIT 2: If you need instructions about the steps, look at @Chastity post in this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2810-Cant-figure-out-the-KB-fix....&)(post #2)

evga
04-13-2012, 02:41 AM
thanks a lot mate, Just want this file.
+1 rep for you,
maybe I can make a thread with links to for asus g73jh keyboard lights fix.

Pendraig
07-24-2013, 01:42 AM
Update to ATK Package 1.0.0008. Then you can use Fn+F4 to get the lights on.

Do you have a link for this? Can't find anywhere on support site. Does this patch also require a bios flash\upgrade? My current bios is BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. G73Jh.213, 1/27/2011

cl-Albert
07-24-2013, 09:17 PM
You can find ATK driver V1.0.0008 and other unapproved versions at this site (http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=111&m=ATK_package&os=&hashedid=n%2fa).

PPanda
08-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Will this work for g750jw BIOS 207 with totally nonfunctional keyboard backlight after RMA replaced mobo?