PDA

View Full Version : New Utilities AI Recovery

waynes26
07-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Hi

Once again there has been a new utility updated with NO release notes. Any one know what this one is supposed to fix.

AI Recovery Version V1.0.27

Thanks in advance

RecceDG
07-04-2012, 12:06 PM
This is the version I used to transfer my brand new machine (yesterday!) to RAID 1.

It is slow, but it works.

DG

Shawnnepc
07-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi

Once again there has been a new utility updated with NO release notes. Any one know what this one is supposed to fix.

AI Recovery Version V1.0.27

Thanks in advance

If I remember it unlocks the ability to burn recovery media to blu-ray.

not 100%

RecceDG
07-04-2012, 07:47 PM
I can confirm there was a "burn to Blue-Ray" option in the dialog for this.

Having no BDs around, I used DVDs. It takes 4 of them.

DG

waynes26
07-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Well I installed the new version. This is the results i got. Note i did remove the version 24 first rebooted twice, installed the new version rebooted twice.

First box

Second Box

Third Box

Forth Box

Anyone got any clues, I will give ASUS in Australia a ring tomorrow and pass on what i find out

RecceDG
07-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Hm, that's not what happened with me.

Mind you, I ran it on a brand new machine with nothing installed on it aside from the OEM package (and the updated AI recovery utility)

I do note that Asus does their factory restore a little weird. Instead of being a disk image of all the programs installed, it appears to be a selection of scripts that attempt to duplicate the process of manually installing all the software in their factory default state. And I don't get the whole "hidden partition" thing... that's odd.

Whenever you have a chain of scripts, you run the risk of an error or other Weird Harold border condition derailing the train - and it takes FAR longer.

In any case, I used this version to do a factory restore on a brand new machine after switching the drives to RAID 1. So it has worked for at least one person. What the differences are between my case and yours, I cannot say.

DG

waynes26
07-05-2012, 12:01 PM
In any case, I used this version to do a factory restore on a brand new machine after switching the drives to RAID 1. So it has worked for at least one person. What the differences are between my case and yours, I cannot say.

DG

DG
Do you have the G75 or a G55

john_from_ohio
07-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Instead of being a disk image of all the programs installed, it appears to be a selection of scripts that attempt to duplicate the process of manually installing all the software in their factory default state. And I don't get the whole "hidden partition" thing... that's odd.

Having a hidden partition for recovery is actually very common and a whole bunch of pc manufacturers have been doing it for years. Toshiba, HP, IBM/Lenovo, Asus.

The Asus Recovery Utility appears to read contents of the hidden recovery partition to build either disk images/isos or burn to real disks.

It appears to have logic in it that cares whether the recovery DVDs have ever been created and only let you do that once.

One way to see this new utility is to recover onto a disk that one does not particularly care about. After doing a recovery with whatever set of disks that you have ... update to the latest version of the recovery utility ... at that point it really "should" let you burn another set of disks because it no longer is aware that it is not the real factory install "1st time" ...

RecceDG
07-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Do you have the G75 or a G55

Good question - G75.

DG

waynes26
07-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks all. I finally worked it out.

Some how i corrupted the recovery partition. This may have happened when i shrunk the recovery partition down.

Any way rebuilt using the disks installed the new AI recovery and re burnt a new set of disks all worked fine.

Now to one of my original questions,

Why don't ASUS supply notes on new releases of software.

At least you could see if it i worth while installing it or not.