PDA

View Full Version : I'm running a little hot. (G74SX)

Cat
07-04-2012, 07:26 PM
I noticed today that my fans are blowing somewhat more audibly than usual.

Screencap from fresh restart:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5583/tempsc.png

I did spray with canned air a few weeks ago, so it shouldn't be dust.

Dark
07-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Could be a virus or maloware they can make your system fans run faster then normal. Worth looking into.

Cat
07-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Already scanned with Malwarebytes. No positives. And if it made my fans run faster, wouldn't that make my CPU cooler? >_>

TorturedBIscuit
07-04-2012, 08:00 PM
CPU temp is definitely high, not sure about the GPU though, mine runs on 37C.

Dark
07-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Already scanned with Malwarebytes. No positives. And if it made my fans run faster, wouldn't that make my CPU cooler? >_>Hell no it will cook it :) Viruses like cooking cpu's.

Try this a test virus http://www.rexswain.com/eicar.html then look at fan heat it over cooks lool would post a nasty one but yeah dont want to kill pc's :)

Cat
07-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Alright, I know it's summer, but my CPU is now idling at 48 degrees. I dread having to open this thing to clean it out from the inside. I've checked one disassembly guide and it looks incredibly complicated and I don't know the shortest path to the fans and whatever else I need to clean to make this thing run cool again.

Bojamijams
07-15-2012, 01:09 PM
You don't need to disassemble it to clean it.

Open the DVD drive bay all the way, get a can of compressed air, and first blow from the top where the screen connects to the body. These are your intake fins. This will get some out.

Next point the can into the big exhaust cans in the back and let it rip. Might want to have a vacuum cleaner on and right under the vent to grab the dust coming out.

HP-X
07-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Hmm, I'm on ~44-46C idle on my G74 as well. And this with a cleaned computer (opened entire thing up and ripped mobo out). I thought 44ish was a normal idle temperature so I did not reapply thermal compound.

As for you who clean without opening up, do what Bojamijams said so you don't push the dust inside the fans.

Cat
07-16-2012, 01:20 AM
I actually ripped the bottom cover off and started spraying canned air everywhere. Idle temps have dropped by almost 10 degrees.

kimiraikkonen
07-17-2012, 05:04 PM
My GTX460 is about 55-58 when browsing and will be a slight below of these values when it's idle BUT the ambient room temp is 30 C here.

IMHO, your GPU temps are really fine. No probs. Gaming will rise it up by 25-30 degrees.

n3tninja
07-18-2012, 09:26 PM
edited post

Off topic adding nothing to the subject.

RoccoCroce
07-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Disassemble and replace your thermal grease.
I just did it on this G50v and the grease was completely solidified, cracked and non contiguous.
Don't let anyone scare you- just remove the screws holding the back cover, pull out the guts and the screws holding the in. Use the canned air or an air compressor to remove the excess dust from the inside of the chassis. Be sure to remove dust from the inside of the fan blades. On this machine, it is an induction fan so spraying air in from the outside will NOT clean it out entirely.
Get yourself a couple tubes of eBay thermal grease.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermal-Grease-Paste-Compound-CPU-fan-Heatsink-Tube-1g-/390257347989?pt=US_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item5add268d95

I've used this on many components in many different gaming rigs / conventional machines.

This really shouldn't take you too long. If you take your time, It'll probably take about an hour.
Remember to remove ALLLLLLL or the crusted, old, thermal "grease".

Best of luck buddy

RoccoCroce
07-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Was this a solution for the OP?
I would like to know because it sure worked for a few buddies and I.

Cat
07-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Was this a solution for the OP?
I would like to know because it sure worked for a few buddies and I. As I mentioned, I sprayed canned air everywhere. Not gonna try repasting when I really don't seem to need to.