PDA

View Full Version : Is there a workaround for the speakers coming on while listening to headphones?

fc2462
07-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Hi fellow G75 owners,

My apologies for the additional post but, I have read through the other speaker issue threads and can't seem to come up with a straight answer to my question. Most of the info in the threads seem to have to do with sound quality.

My big issue is I use my G75 at my office to listen to training videos and I'll start off listening on my headphones and all of the sudden the speakers will come on. It's very embarrasing because my co-workers will all of the sudden start giving me dirty looks because I can't easily tell when it happens.

I did read something about pressing the Fn+F10 key to mute the internal speaker but that seems to mute my headphones too.

Is there any way to listen on my headphones and be sure the internal speakers are not going to come back on?

Thanks,
Frank

jdotjdot7
07-05-2012, 04:50 PM
I realized that the sound is coming through the subwoofer and not the speakers (odd i know, there should be a low pass filter to make it not play anything over 200Hz). In order to remedy this, i went to the VIA audio deck and changed the "Speakers" volume to 0 while keeping the headphones where you want them. Tedious i know but until ASUS fixes this problem.

Cecil_2099
07-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Which version of the VIA HD Audio Deck are you using? Have you tried uninstalling, restarting, and installing a newer version?

fc2462
07-05-2012, 06:45 PM
My version is as follows:

Package version: 10.4.00.31
Codec version: VT1802P
Driver version: 6.0.1.10400

fc2462
07-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I realized that the sound is coming through the subwoofer and not the speakers (odd i know, there should be a low pass filter to make it not play anything over 200Hz). In order to remedy this, i went to the VIA audio deck and changed the "Speakers" volume to 0 while keeping the headphones where you want them. Tedious i know but until ASUS fixes this problem.

I was wondering how you are able to change the headphone volume independently? When I access the audio deck control if I put the speaker volume all the way down, it lowers the headphones too.

Can you please clarify what exact steps you are doing?

Thanks,
Frank

Redking117
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Which version of the VIA HD Audio Deck are you using? Have you tried uninstalling, restarting, and installing a newer version?

You guys should really post links up here...

Cecil_2099
07-05-2012, 09:50 PM
You guys should really post links up here...

You can't copy the download links on ASUS' website. Whoever coded it didn't do it right, so I can't post links to the drivers directly. Anyway, there's a thread in the Important/Useful Threads sub-forum where I explain where to get the latest drivers/utilities.

Cecil_2099
07-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Frank: Did you install the 10400 version of the driver over the 10200 that shipped with the G75? Or did yours come with the 10400 already?

When I installed the 10400 version over the 10200 version I got a separate headphones volume control slider in the ViA HD Audio Deck and I would get sound out of the speakers with the headphones plugged in. So I tried the following: uninstalled 10400 version, restarted, installed the 10200 version available on the G75 drivers page (see my thread in my signature), restarted, uninstalled the 10200 version, restarted again, then installed the 10400 and restarted for the last time. After I did that when I plugged in the headphones I no longer got the separate headphones control slider and sound properly routed to only the headphones when they were plugged in.

JednaPiroga
07-05-2012, 10:07 PM
just buy a creative external usb soundcard and every problem is solved.

fc2462
07-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Frank: Did you install the 10400 version of the driver over the 10200 that shipped with the G75? Or did yours come with the 10400 already?

When I installed the 10400 version over the 10200 version I got a separate headphones volume control slider in the ViA HD Audio Deck and I would get sound out of the speakers with the headphones plugged in. So I tried the following: uninstalled 10400 version, restarted, installed the 10200 version available on the G75 drivers page (see my thread in my signature), restarted, uninstalled the 10200 version, restarted again, then installed the 10400 and restarted for the last time. After I did that when I plugged in the headphones I no longer got the separate headphones control slider and sound properly routed to only the headphones when they were plugged in.

I just bought my G75 at the end of June and it already had all of the latest drivers. The only update to my system was the AI Recovery update. So I did not every have the 200 version you mention.

So are you stuck now too? When you are listening to your headphones do you get sound coming back out of the speakers occasionally?

Cecil_2099
07-05-2012, 11:04 PM
I just bought my G75 at the end of June and it already had all of the latest drivers. The only update to my system was the AI Recovery update. So I did not every have the 200 version you mention.

So are you stuck now too? When you are listening to your headphones do you get sound coming back out of the speakers occasionally?

No, ever since I uninstalled the driver and installed the older 10200 version (available on the ASUS driver download site) and uninstalled that and re-installed the 10400 versionthe headphone issue was solved and is working as it should.

fc2462
07-06-2012, 06:41 PM
No, ever since I uninstalled the driver and installed the older 10200 version (available on the ASUS driver download site) and uninstalled that and re-installed the 10400 versionthe headphone issue was solved and is working as it should.

Hi,

I was wondering if you did the uninstall through the Windows device manager by right clicking on the VIA sound device or did you just go into programs and features and uninstall the one VIA application there?

Thanks,
Frank

kiba
07-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Also make sure and uninstall asus liveupdate, unless you like headaches. :)

Cecil_2099
07-06-2012, 11:35 PM
just go into programs and features and uninstall the one VIA application there?

That's what I did.