PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded baby! 8 to 16gb - is there a big difference between cl9 and cl11 ?

mrwolf
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
I finally upgraded my G75-VW to 16gb ram but just noticed (after looking at cpu z) that the ram already installed is cl11 and the ram I installed was cl9 (http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/11485567/art/corsair/2-x-4-gb-ddr3-1600-pc3-12.html).

Now the DRAM frequency is showing 665.8 as oppose to 850 before and the CAS Latency is 9 instead of 11.

Does this make a big difference and if so should I return these sticks and get different ones?? Would be great if someone could ggive me some clarification on this. :D

Thanks

john_from_ohio
07-05-2012, 08:26 PM
I think your new ram would be fastest if you replaced all of the existing with the corsair but the first 2 4 gb sticks are hard to get to.

You probably won't notice the difference in day to day usage but me personally it would bug me probably.

My machine ( G75VW BBK5 ) has a mix of 2 factory installed hynix ( hyundai ? ) and 2 samsung and runs 800 mhz ( 1600 dual ) at 11 11 11 28 ... so yeah probably best bet is to return and get compatible.

Memory hardware stuff is not my strong point ... thats what the server admins do for me!

mrwolf
07-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Ok.... could you tell me which samsung sticks you have? If anything i'll probably order them and replace at some point.

Zygomorphic
07-05-2012, 10:31 PM
+1 rep, @john, do not be afraid to help, your advice is correct. The IMC matched the CAS latency by dropping the memory frequency, which causes you to loose bandwidth. Since the true time latency between 1333 and 1600 MHz is virtually identical, your best course of action is to buy two more sticks of the corsair and put them in to give you CL9 1600 MHz.

mrwolf
07-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Zygomorphic + John

Thanks guys for your response, I bought the memory sticks as I saw they were 1600mhz but unfortunately did not know about the cas latency aspect at the time. You live you learn :cool:

Could you possibly advise me how I can get to the other ram sticks which are underneath, they seem quite hard to get to... But I am happy to do what it takes to get it done properly.

Cheers

john_from_ohio
07-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Ok.... could you tell me which samsung sticks you have? If anything i'll probably order them and replace at some point.

Prices are up slightly right now ( not too bad I guess ) and specials come and go. I picked mine up at microcenter ( website is microcenter.com ) but we have a local store ... think it was right at 39 bucks for a 2 pack ( before tax ).

Samsung
4GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL11 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory Module

SKU 116871
Mfr Part #: MV-3T4G3/US
UPC: 036725604247

john_from_ohio
07-05-2012, 11:20 PM
There are some clues to how to take the G75VW apart to get to the keyboard memory in the Upgrading G75VW thread ... but compared to all the rest of the standard upgrades here getting to that memory is dicey ( to someone of my modest skills ) and you could definitely break something. It also voids the warranty theoretically.

There is not a lot of difference in the latency specs and to me the much easier upgrade is putting in the compatible one ( aka samsung or anything running CL 11 I guess ) and returning what you purchased.

Zygomorphic
07-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Sounds about right. Which local store? The Columbus one? Microcenter is the cheapest brick-and-mortar retailer I know, but they are more expensive than places like newegg...but you have to wait for their stuff to get in! :) Yes, returning the CL9 and buying CL11 would be the easiest and cheapest route to go...but not the ROG way. :cool: We ROG, we go the performance way...usually. We like the best...so we buy ROG.

mrwolf
07-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Ok cool I understand.... Im in London so probably will find a local place to order the memory from. For now though and pls correct me if I am wrong; 16gigs @ a slightly slower bandwith is still better then 8 gigs at higher bandwith...? I could keep these for a while and then upgrade later.....

and btw... whats the ROG way??? I should take this thing apart? I dont mind ;)

Zygomorphic
07-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Just doing everything yourself! :) I was just having fun. The 16 gigs at a slightly slower speed is better than a slightly faster 8 GB. 16 GB is all that Win 7 Home Premium will address :(, though Pro and Ultimate will address more than that. Do not worry about it, just do whatever seems right to you. Disassembling the G75 is a lot of work, I understand, like most of the ROG line. :( Simple memory upgrades are easy, but everything else is pretty tough. Just do what you are comfortable doing! Good luck and have fun!

john_from_ohio
07-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Sounds about right. Which local store? The Columbus one?

Cleveland ... ( aka Mayfield Heights ) ... one of the original microcenters I think.

As far as ROGging ... well not much of a gamer at all ... I did install Crysis and played it for about 20 minutes. I am pretty high up on the IT food chain ( its all relative right ).

Big fingers make doing things like getting to the RAM under the keyboard seem pretty dicey to me. Probably should buy 32 gig of 1866 RAM and give it to our desktop support guys to install.

I don't think many of us are going to notice though the latency difference ... running my OL 6.3 ( Oracle Linux ) virtual machine thru virtual box ain't going to care very much.

john_from_ohio
07-06-2012, 12:10 AM
The 16 gigs at a slightly slower speed is better than a slightly faster 8 GB.

Dunno about that.

Most Win 7 64 bit systems rarely use up more than 2 or 3 gb of memory unless you start running some apps that have a big footprint in memory allocations.

Even pushing some of the new games I doubt that most people use up 8 gb of RAM. Doing major video editing ... sure ... that's different.