PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been able to clone their GPT drive to a USB drive and have it boot?

fc2462
07-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I used to use a backup program called BounceBack Ultimate from CMS products and it was really cool because it cloned the entire hard drive to an external USB drive and you could actually boot your system from the USB drive if needed in the event of a total hard drive failure. It was also very useful to migrate to larger hard disks, etc.

Unfortunately, that software only supports MBR format disks and my new G75 is using the GPT setup when configured from the factory recovery disks.

So, I have a couple of questions for the group:

1. Is there a way to do a system recovery and have the result be MBR instead of GPT using the ASUS disks?

2. Anyone know of a software that, for sure, they have used themselves successfully, can be used to duplicate my finished Win7 setup on the GPT format disk? I had no idea how slow this new format was to catch on and how many vendors don't really support it fully.

For sure, Norton Ghost cannot do this. I also researched Acronis and in various forums it leads me to believe it won't fully work either. I then found a program called EaseUS ToDo Backup and they claimed "full GPT" support so I bought it and did the disk clone and the USB drive would not boot. I then contacted their support and found that they do not support cloning a GPT boot drive.

I also heard about Paragon Software and I inquired with them but they could not really give me a straight answer yet. I have also heard about Macrium Reflect and was wondering about that one.

Unfortunately, most of these vendors have freeware versions or trials but those don't include GPT support. I'm trying to avoid buying all of these softwares just to find one that works.

So, if anyone out there has successfully cloned their GPT format disk to a USB external drive and had it boot, please let me know what software you used.

Thanks!