PDA

View Full Version : Power4Gear - To load or not to load?

Dennis St. John
07-06-2012, 12:33 AM
I just finished re-loading my G73JW-XT1 from scratch, and when I say scratch, I mean NOT with the ASUS Recovery DVDs... rather from the Windows 7 installation disc, in an effort to avoid all the ASUS bloatware. That said, I am wondering if it is worth it to re-load the Power4Gear software. Does it add any true value, above and beyond the built-in Windows power saving settings? Is there any other software from ASUS I absolutely have to have? I've already successfully loaded ALL of the necessary drivers and my G73JW is running like a dream on a new SSD with cold boot up times coming in at 25 seconds flat! Thanks in advance for any sage guidance!

dstrakele
07-06-2012, 05:09 PM
The only thing Power4Gear gives you is ROG Button functionality to switch between the pre-configured Power Profiles. You can do the same in Windows 7 without ROG Button functionality.

The only ASUS drivers that are necessary are those in the ATK Package, which provide Function Key functionality. That said, I've also installed Ai Charger Plus to charge my cell phone from the USB port, even when the laptop is shut down - very useful!

Dennis St. John
07-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks dstrakele! I appreciate the input! I followed your advice in another thread by reloading Win 7 from scratch and it is really the way to go! Thanks!

dstrakele
07-06-2012, 08:04 PM
You're welcome Dennis - We aims t'please...

Now that you have a nice clean, updated Windows 7 installation with current drivers and the apps of your choosing, use "Backup and Restore" to save a Windows System Image. That way, if you should have to completely restore your system, you don't need to reinvent the wheel - as with an ASUS Factory Restore.