PDA

View Full Version : Remove bottom cover G75VW - Quick question + video link to making a recovery pa

SerosRDPS
07-06-2012, 04:34 AM
I'm trying to upgrade to an ssd. I'm getting stopped right at the very beginning. Before I put my hulk powers and force this lid off, can someone please confirm there is only (1) screw that must be removed to do this?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I took the screw shown in the first image here http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-series-laptops/upgrading-the-g75vw/ out and the darn cover won't come off.

Also, I'll be using this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8n-G9Rv2zo to make a sweet clean windows recovery partition tonight if anyone is interested :-).

SerosRDPS
07-06-2012, 04:48 AM
shoot. Just found this video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wONaeMn66uY&feature=player_embedded

He removes the one screw and he's able to take off the cover. Guess its time for my hulk powers.

Dennis St. John
07-06-2012, 06:17 AM
Hi SerosRDPS,

NO hulk powers necessary! Get yourself a plastic putty knife and start prying up to each side of the screw, nice and simple. If you are having to force anything, stop! You will break something! You just have to work your way around it with the putty knife. It's pretty easy actually... I've done it a couple times on my G75V now. Then, when you go to put the cover back on, it helps if you slightly bend it back as you go back towars the side with the screw. Hope this helps!

SerosRDPS
07-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Thank you! I worked it slowly and got it open. SSD is installed as per the video and now I'm about to putting it all back together. Weee!

kiba
07-06-2012, 12:10 PM
no, just leave the screw in, grab it firmly and let 'er rip, be sure to use a sledgehammer to reattach it. thats what i did, works great!

here is a pic of how it should look afterward...

Dark
07-06-2012, 12:20 PM
no, just leave the screw in, grab it firmly and let 'er rip, be sure to use a sledgehammer to reattach it. thats what i did, works great!

Lmao guess you dont like laptops lool at picture thats so funny.

Woots
07-06-2012, 12:40 PM

I am pretty sure this will buff out with a micro fiber cloth.

kiba
07-06-2012, 01:41 PM
I am pretty sure this will buff out with a micro fiber cloth.
what will buff out :shrug: looks fine to me

ya'know those microfiber cloths will fix just about anything.... lolz

Dennis St. John
07-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Also, in your re-load process, I HIGHLY recommend installing Win 7 from scratch and not through any Recovery DVDs from ASUS. Your G75V will fly much faster this way, without all the ASUS bloatware. I've done it both ways and there is a noticable difference, especially in boot up / reboot times. You'll just have to manually install a few drivers after Win 7 gets finished loading. Anyway, best of luck!

Shawnnepc
07-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Also, in your re-load process, I HIGHLY recommend installing Win 7 from scratch and not through any Recovery DVDs from ASUS. Your G75V will fly much faster this way, without all the ASUS bloatware. I've done it both ways and there is a noticable difference, especially in boot up / reboot times. You'll just have to manually install a few drivers after Win 7 gets finished loading. Anyway, best of luck!

I STRONGLY agree.

The ASUS recovery media is not made to function with added on SSDs. ***Unless your unit included SSD at purchase.

kiba
07-06-2012, 08:07 PM
I STRONGLY agree.

The ASUS recovery media is not made to function with added on SSDs. ***Unless your unit included SSD at purchase.

not true, it can be done (see Cecil's write-up)