PDA

View Full Version : Problems and the new G75/G55 Series

Eynnl
07-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Since looking, researching this new series I have noticed several issues with both. I would really like to own one...the G75 is really what I have my mind set on but the issues and turn around time for repairs, lack of support (in one post someone was told Asus would contact them within 48 hours) worries me.
Guess each company has their issues but would you do it again? I've got a few days to decide.

Woots
07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Try to keep in perspective most people only make comments when things are not working out for them and they need assistance.

Since I bought my G75 I have had zero issues with this laptop and I have been gaming and doing 3d animation/graphics work heavily on this laptop.

The only negative thing I can say about this laptop is the subwoofer issue playing (on rare occasion when headphones is plugged in, which is fixed by replugging in the headphones). I have been around computers long enough to know this can be fixed with new drivers (which I am sure VIA will eventually sort out)

Everything else so far as been great on this laptop. I have had it for about 1 month and I been out of town with this thing traveling, so it has taken a good rattling so far with all my flying lately.

Brian_ROG
07-06-2012, 03:01 PM
I agree with Woots, I've had no issues with my G75. Just make sure to purchase from a reputable retailer that has a decent exchange period. That way if you do have any issues you can exchange for a new one.

ennyl
07-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks, glad to hear neither of you have had any "major" issues. Since this will be my only PC I just can't be shipping it in on a regular basis for problems.

Myk SilentShadow
07-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks, glad to hear neither of you have had any "major" issues. Since this will be my only PC I just can't be shipping it in on a regular basis for problems.

Best thing I can recommend you to do is make a note of the major problems faced by the G75 and their solutions(if there are any currently), bite the bullet and get yourself one. It is a sad fact indeed that most of the posts in the Forums are based on problems, there aren't enough positives and I hope someone does their own little review and post it. And i'd have to agree with Brian, make sure you get it from a reputable dealer...oh and make sure you do some thorough research on the different types available...there is an "official" list here in the Forums, that will help you to choose the one that is best for you :)

Destroyer99
07-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Since looking, researching this new series I have noticed several issues with both. I would really like to own one...the G75 is really what I have my mind set on but the issues and turn around time for repairs, lack of support (in one post someone was told Asus would contact them within 48 hours) worries me.
Guess each company has their issues but would you do it again? I've got a few days to decide.

You are going to have more people post their problems than the people who are happy with it. Its like that for just about every electronic.

I bought the G75VW for 1205.99 and well i was unlucky to have a problem on it. My video card GTX670m gets hotter than normal up to 93C with benchmarks but based on what i gather few people have complained about it so i dont think its a huge problem. I did send my laptop to Asus (USA) yesterday they told me turnaround time is 10-14 business days, how true is this is something i dont know.

I suggest you just get it. Worse comes to worse you can RMA or return it.

Budco2000
07-08-2012, 01:43 AM
i've had no problem what so ever. I am a web design coder/designer and there are times I have 5 or 6 graphics demanding programs going as well as adobe photoshop, aftereffects, illustrator, and this g75 takes what ever i throw at it with ease. I have upgraded to 16GB of RAM, as well as 2 SSD's

rjulius
08-30-2012, 11:48 AM
I cant run my g75 to maximum, especially just running on devil may cry 4 and even the 3d mark 11 , I am getting disappointed with my g75, when im running it at maximum settings the screen stars to blink and the FPS is just running around 5-40 FPS then ill just suddenly stops, im expecting to experience that on metro 2033, crysis 2 or skyrim.

Id like to show my g75 to my friends but at this condition my g75 cant raise the proud flag of ROG :(

Here's my specs:

i7 intel core 3610QM 2.3GHz
16GB RAM
750 HDD
Nvidia GTX670M 3GB

And still im not using it to do my 3d Rendering designs

Can someone help me with this, Im thinking twice to send it to the service center because of the warranty, im afraid that there would be a more serious problem with my g75 and I cant use it when that time comes.

dstrakele
08-30-2012, 11:58 AM
1) What CPU. and GPU temperatures are you hitting when you experience these issues?

2) What Antivirus have you installed?

3) Have you run DPC Latency Checker?

c_man
08-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Do you want to play on battery power?

rewben
08-30-2012, 02:05 PM
@rjulius, imo, the obvious bottleneck is your HDD. if you have some spared money, replace your HDD with an SSD (good models for g75 include intel 520 and samsung 830). you can turn the HDD into your storage drive later on, when you feel satisfactory.

i'm pretty sure by then your g75 can raise the proud flag of ROG :)

my friends and i are proud owners of g55 hehe

Rifain
08-31-2012, 08:40 AM
I concur. I have bought my G75 with a Samsung SSD. I replaced one of the HDD with the SSD. It's fast and slick, a great machine really. I have experienced a few issues but only driver ones so far (USB for example). I was concerned with the Atheros wifi, but so far it works fine, I have never experienced any disconnection or nothing.
Yesterday I tested Battlefield 3 in 1900 mode, just to check how it copes, perfect !

Rifain
09-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Well, I spoke too soon. I was playing a game for a few minutes when the screen began to show artefacts. The computer froze, I had to reboot it.
Reboot went fine, I hear the hdd booting, except that the screen is now totally black.
I mean, there is nothing showing at all, no bios or anything. I switched it off, waited, and started it multiple times.
Screen is always black. I guess the gpu died on me.
I had this machine for only a week and it's the second G75 I am returning in less than a month.
That is enough for me with this crap. I'll try to get a refund a buy another brand.

Rifain
09-02-2012, 01:48 PM
By the way, if someone could give me an advice about a reliable brand for a gaming laptop ? Cheers.

c_man
09-02-2012, 03:15 PM
No such thing. Read about Alienware and Clevo problems.

rewben
09-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Rifain, too bad for you :/ good luck to you to finding a new one. however, i do think these machines and their parts are built to last longer than 3 years (with moderate tortures from users). it's just plain "luck" to get a defective one.

Rifain
09-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Yes, very bad luck :( I got 2 defective ones so far.
But as c_man is pointing out, other brands have their issues as well.
I don't know what to do now. The little time I had my G75 working, I loved it, quiet, powerful and nicely built.
What shall I do ? I'll go for a third try ? I'll go for a brand I like less ?
damn damn damn ....

Is any of you had his G75 working fine for many months ? (sorry for my english, it's not my language).

PILGRIM
09-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Yes, very bad luck :( I got 2 defective ones so far.
But as c_man is pointing out, other brands have their issues as well.
I don't know what to do now. The little time I had my G75 working, I loved it, quiet, powerful and nicely built.
What shall I do ? I'll go for a third try ? I'll go for a brand I like less ?
damn damn damn ....

Is any of you had his G75 working fine for many months ? (sorry for my english, it's not my language).

Well, not a G75 owner, but my G74 is still alive and kickin'..
I bought it October of last year.

rewben
09-02-2012, 04:30 PM
some of the people here exchanged theirs for more than two times, before they got a good one.

if your g75 can still be exchanged, i think you should do that first. i don't think asus purposely sends all defective units to the retailer at your place so that you can come here and express your dissatisfaction.

if you (touch wood) still received the third one with defects, i seriously think there is something going on at the retailer where you bought it.