PDA

View Full Version : "Windows has detected your computer's performance is slow."

dmoon723
07-06-2012, 11:15 PM

I got this notification yesterday and ignored it, then got it again today. My G75 is running whisper quiet and I am NOT putting it through much. Just WoW on High settings which l know good and well it can handle. Should I just ignore this?

dstrakele
07-06-2012, 11:46 PM
I don't know...that's harsh when Windows tells you your gaming computer is slow...

I'd be tempted to run DPC Latency Checker to see if any drivers are causing latency on your system.

Maybe uninstall ASUS Live Update, McAfee Antivirus, or Akamai Web Interface (if you find it in "Control Panel - Uninstall a program").

The phrase "not enough resources" typically means Memory resources, more specifically Nonpaged Pool memory resources. Perhaps a drver installed on your system is leaking Nonpaged memory. What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software have you installed to your system? These are the usual suspects.

john_from_ohio
07-06-2012, 11:49 PM
I got this notification yesterday and ignored it, then got it again today

Not sure buy guessing wow is some kind of game?

Let me take another blind guess ... you might have patches/updates to the game that are not applied?

waynes26
07-06-2012, 11:51 PM
This is because WOW is changing your screen settings. I have had this with various games in the past.

xeromist
07-07-2012, 06:00 AM
I don't know...that's harsh when Windows tells you your gaming computer is slow...

OK, I LOL'd at that one. :D

kiba
07-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Not sure buy guessing wow is some kind of game? zomg john, do you live under a rock.... jeez man, thats something my grandpa would say, lolz

im not making fun of you, just the way you put that cracked me up

dstrakele
07-07-2012, 12:17 PM
You young whippersnappers! When I was a lad your age, my gaming computer was so slow, it didn't finish booting till the next day... And we LIKED it!!!

john_from_ohio
07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
zomg john, do you live under a rock....

Even though I am old ... I am a competitive athlete still putting in about 50 miles a week running and some cross training.

Between that stuff and family obligations and work stuff ... life gets pretty dang busy ... like I said before not a gamer.

Going out to San Francisco in a couple of months for Oracle Open World 2012 ... 50 thousand geeks and damagers ( managers ) ... I am presenting out there again this year as part of the conference.

So yeah ... pretty much ... I live under a rock!

dmoon723
07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
You young whippersnappers! When I was a lad your age, my gaming computer was so slow, it didn't finish booting till the next day... And we LIKED it!!!

::shudders::

For anyone else I've potentially confused, I'm talking about World of Warcraft lol. As for it changing my screen settings, do you mean resolution? Because I have it set to the native 1920x1080 of the screen.

john_from_ohio
07-07-2012, 01:41 PM
For anyone else I've potentially confused, I'm talking about World of Warcraft lol.

The suspicion is that somehow / somewhere you are leaking memory allocations which after a while cause windows 7 to start nagging you ... my shot in the dark guess is that perhaps there are updates/patches to the game you are running that you have not applied.

Someone else noted:

The phrase "not enough resources" typically means Memory resources, more specifically Nonpaged Pool memory resources. Perhaps a drver installed on your system is leaking Nonpaged memory. What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software have you installed to your system? These are the usual suspects.

So between possible missing wow maintenance and the other items above that might get you on the path to solving.

dmoon723
07-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Hmm I'll have to check that out when I get off work. As far as Anti-Virus goes, I'm using Kaspersky, which seems to run high (about 24,000) at first, then low (about 2,000) after the system has warmed up. These numbers are from the processes tab in the task manager.

kiba
07-08-2012, 01:23 PM
You young whippersnappers! When I was a lad your age, my gaming computer was so slow, it didn't finish booting till the next day... And we LIKED it!!! lol, hey i used to play wolfenstein, doom, etc, and back then there was really not much of a gaming PC market. but i know what you mean :)

john, youre not a gamer? what do you do w/ your laptop, graphic design etc?

to the op, it seems that john's got you on the right track looking for a memory leak... about how many processes are you running at startup? i had a similar problem w/ mine although i didnt get that message, but every time this happened, the computer would slow down to a crawl, and i couldnt get task manager, resource monitor, or even the ctrl-alt-del screen to come up. are you having any of these issues?

also, sometimes malware can eat up your resources like this. I used to use panda GP but this new notebook came w/ kaspersky so im trying it out, currently im using kaspersky/malwarebytes, and the combination of antivirus and antimalware usually catches everything. try running both of those to see if there is any virus/malware in there somewhere causing this.

dstrakele
07-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Here's an interesting discussion of this issue with a possible workaround: http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/142735-do-you-want-change-color-scheme-improve-performance.html. The explanation that certain games and video editing software are not playing well with Windows Aero seems plausible (they may be leaking GDI Objects rather than Nonpaged memory) and match up with @wayne26's experience. Using Compatibility configuration to disable Aero Glass PER EXE looks like a reasonable way to handle this problem.

Here are some other interesting discussions:

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintejnance/69652-how-do-i-disable-annoying-performance-colorscheme-popup.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/154483-winows-aero-keeps-changing-windows-basic.html

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1147863

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/4813-63-change-windows-color-scheme

UltimaRage
07-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Disable visual themes in compatibility per .exe should accomplish that, right?

dstrakele
07-08-2012, 04:20 PM
The first thread I referenced states "Easiest solution instead of disabling Aero permanently would be to locate the exe of the game(s) that throw up the error and set it to disable desktop composition on the Compatibility tab." But one of the others mentions "disable visual themes" per EXE. Personally, that seems like the more logical setting, but you may need to experiment.

john_from_ohio
07-08-2012, 04:58 PM
john, youre not a gamer? what do you do w/ your laptop, graphic design etc?

Well I did play Crysis for 20 minutes ( probably 8 weeks back now ) so you telling me that doesn't count?

My machine goes back and forth to work. At home the perfect desktop ... VPN into work ... runs OL vms ( Oracle Linux ) nice and fast using storage from my 1 tb data drive. At work also I prefer using it to the machine that work supplies.

Always plugged into at least 1 external 1080 monitor whether at home or work.

My G75VW probably will not make the trip to San Francisco for Open World 2012 ... will fall back onto my 13 inch macbook air ( which is also another absolute beast ).

At work I am a Senior Oracle DBA ( Database Administrator ) and/or Technical Architect. I do still push some code around at times ... been doing the IT gig for well a really long time.

xeromist
07-09-2012, 03:34 PM
@dmoon: if your machine is running fine otherwise, why not just click "do not show this again"? Windows may just be screwy so I wouldn't bother unless you're having real problems.

@John: Wish I could come hear you speak but OpenWorld just hasn't been in the budget the last few years. Occasionally we get exhibits passes but I miss the sessions. :(

kiba
07-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Well I did play Crysis for 20 minutes ( probably 8 weeks back now ) so you telling me that doesn't count?

counts? haha i guess it does, i was just curious because most people get G series for gaming... mine are good for my work but not necessary, i like them because i can sit in the back w/ headphones on and play games during boring business trips or slow days at work. but i can understand what you mean as imo most non-gaming notebooks/desktops are substandard.

on another note, one of my coworkers just got an alienware M18x and that thing is a beast, titanium casing, huge screen, dual GPU's, msata hd and Raid0 SSD's, and everything is upgradeable including the CPU and GPU's, it made me jealous as hell when i first saw it.

Woots
07-09-2012, 08:11 PM
That windows warning is common when using Aero layout in windows vista/win7

The solution to get more speed out of your game as well as avoid this warning is as follows.

Locate the primary executable for each game you play.

Right click on the *.exe > go to properties > go to compatibility tab > place a checkmark by "disable desktop composition" > click apply.

What this does is disables Windows Aero everytime that game is executed and re-enbles again when it's shut off.

You will actually get better performance out of the game (since windows aero is a small resource drain always going on in the background that is not needed)