PDA

View Full Version : Cooling pad or not? G75

rob350
07-07-2012, 06:24 AM
I bought a cooling pad to try for my new G75, but it seemed to lower the temp by maybe only 1 degree. 2 at the very most possibly. Not the best cooling pad, but its a 220mm fan.

Is it a good idea? Is the Asus exhaust system good enough to not need one? Using this as my gaming and as my desktop computer so I have no problem spending the money on a better one if it will prolog the like of my G75., but im not sure if it really matters.

G75 with 670M, while running BF3 CPUID says I had a max CPU temp of 75C and a max GPU temp of 74C.

Thanks

waynes26
07-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Why bother, if it gives you what you need to run the games you like, at those temp all should be OK.

UltimaRage
07-07-2012, 09:27 AM
With the current vent system the way it is, a cooling pad is useless.

Besides, the G75's cooling is amazing in and of itself. However, I am considering seeing if I can get replacement covers for the back though, so I can alter them by drilling an array of holes for my own vents and to also put dust filters on the intake vents as well. Will need to see if ASUS will sell replacement covers first, though. I just want my system to cool as good as humanly possible.

Zygomorphic
07-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Take a look at this thread:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18619-G75VW-very-nice

The ROG lines have excellent cooling. My G53 now lowers temps on a cooling pad by 5 C in LINUX. Maybe worth it, maybe not. You are right, however, that the G75 will pwn the x870 when cooling is important. Comes of having 2 fans instead of the usual one.

kiba
07-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Take a look at this thread:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18619-G75VW-very-nice

The ROG lines have excellent cooling. My G53 now lowers temps on a cooling pad by 5 C in LINUX. Maybe worth it, maybe not. You are right, however, that the G75 will pwn the x870 when cooling is important. Comes of having 2 fans instead of the usual one.
i agree, i tried a msi GT70R before getting my g75, and they have the cpu and gpu sharing a corner vent, that compared to the cooling system on most G series is just inadequate.

whats that thread supposed to tell me though?

Zygomorphic
07-07-2012, 12:20 PM
You can use a cooling pad if you are concerned, but otherwise save your money. The G-series notebooks do not tend to overheat. The thread I linked to was for all those who are worried that the systems act up...there are those of us who have had zero problems with them. Just encouragement that not everyone is having problems.

dmoon723
07-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I've played on my G75 for hours at a time every day since I got it last week (longest streak being about 8, happy 4th of july lol) and ONLY after that was it a little warm in the upper right corner of the keyboard to the touch. I could only hear the fans if I muted my speakers, and they were still whispering as far as I'm concerned.

One good trick I've learned from trying to cool down my gf's Macbook Pro, which handles WoW well, but starts toasting up after a couple hours, is to use coasters. Yes, coasters. We put one coaster under each corner of the computer and it helped amazingly. So if you get concerned about your G75, prop it up a bit. As many above me have said, this thing cools itself fine, so lifting it a bit to give it more breathing room is all you'll really need. Hope that helps.

Brian_ROG
07-07-2012, 04:01 PM
I personally like having a cooling pad just for when i'm in bed or in my recliner being lazy and gaming, keeps my lap cool. :cool:

Zygomorphic
07-07-2012, 05:24 PM
I personally like having a cooling pad just for when i'm in bed or in my recliner being lazy and gaming, keeps my lap cool. :cool:

Always a good idea...toasty laps make for lousy games...and lousy gamers.

@dmoon723, that is a very good idea...+1 rep! Very cost effective, and also very true. The key is to get air underneath the notebook, so that the bottom can cool off.

rob350
07-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Alright thanks guys. I think I will take this cooling pad back.

I may pick one up at a later time simply to use if i wish to put the laptop on my lap. Likewise will try to "lift" the laptop up a bit more so she can suck air in easier(coaster idea).

I have a few more questions, but will create a new thread being that they are totally different topics.

UltimaRage
07-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Some sort of platform is a necessity if you choose to use this unit on a bed, for sure.

However, if you are just using your unit on a desk, then it shouldn't be a concern. I had this unit on for hours and the bottom was barely even warm. Quite impressive; the heat dissipation was thought out well and executed competently.

rob350
07-08-2012, 02:42 AM
Some sort of platform is a necessity if you choose to use this unit on a bed, for sure.

However, if you are just using your unit on a desk, then it shouldn't be a concern. I had this unit on for hours and the bottom was barely even warm. Quite impressive; the heat dissipation was thought out well and executed competently.

I have been running mine 4 or 5 hours now gaming with the lid closed and through a monitor(and keyboard and mouse). The bottom is pretty cool. The metal area above the arrow keys has some heat built up, but i guess having the lid closed does not allot any real heat dissipation around the keyboard though.

I hear the 660 video card is more efficient, is it plug and play to fit a 660 into a G75 that has a 670M in it, or is it allot of hacking away to make it physically fit?

UltimaRage
07-08-2012, 11:41 AM
It is the same form factor for a 660m I believe.

Zygomorphic
07-08-2012, 12:14 PM
It is the same form factor for a 660m I believe.

That does not surprise me, but ASUS uses custom form factors on their GPUs, so you will have to find one on ebay or somewhere like that. Too bad they do not adhere to the MXM standard, since that would increase their business in after-market upgrades. If they were to start allowing all sorts of end-user upgrades, then they could rule the custom-notebook market!