PDA

View Full Version : Problem with backlit~G55

sing_css
07-07-2012, 09:13 AM
I have a problem with my backlit, when I press the power button, the laptop will turns to sleep mode. When I turn it on again, I found that I am unable to switch on the backlit~I've tried reinstall the ATK, but the problem still not solved. Anyone know why is this happen? ><"

Raziel
07-07-2012, 11:32 AM
I've been having the same problem, the keyboard backlight won't work after the laptop has been in standby/sleep mode. I think it did before I updated to the latest BIOS.

dstrakele
07-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Try this - launch the Command Prompt by right-clicking on its icon and choosing "Run as Administrator" from the popup menu, then cd to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey and execute HControl.exe. Then press Fn-F4 to turn on the keyboard backlight.

If that succeeds, take a look at this thread as well: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/513264-keyboard-light-fix-gary-key-10.html. Unfortunately, I'm unsure if Windows would run such a Scheduled Task on Resume from Sleep/Hibernation.

Raziel
07-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Unfortunately, this did not seem to have any effect: before as well as after running hcontrol, the screen overlay would display the backlight level and icon on the screen when doing Fn+F3/F4 but the backlight would not turn on. After terminating HControl from the process list and running it again, it won't even display the overlay for those two functions, but the rest work (like the monitor brightness one).

dstrakele
07-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Well, you tried... Perhaps it is a BIOS issue as you suspect. Hopefully some feedback from others can shed some light on this issue.

Raziel
07-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Indeed. I'll get one more HDD soon after which I'll format the laptop, so I'll be able to report on it from a clean installation.

sing_css
07-08-2012, 07:31 AM
If that works please leave a feedback here~thx :)

sing_css
07-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Anyone have the way to solve this problem? T^T

Raziel
07-09-2012, 08:08 PM
I formatted my G55VW and installed windows using UEFI/GPT and a 4k alignment on the primary partition. After installing ATK drivers the backlight works normally, but only before the laptop enters sleep mode; afterwards, it will not turn back on, just like before. I am going to assume it is indeed a BIOS problem with S3 and the backlight.

Itxt
07-11-2012, 08:01 AM
have the same problem

sing_css
07-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Ya, perhaps anyone can give some feedback about this issue~

dstrakele
07-11-2012, 04:46 PM
How about some feedback from the 3 of you that posted you're experiencing this issue?

1) Do you have a different laptop model than the G55? What laptop model do you own?

2) Does this issue occur on a) Resume from Sleep, b) Resume from Hibernation, or c) BOTH?

3) Did this issue occur after a BIOS update or did you have the issue right out of the box? Did you check if ASUS Live Update performed a BIOS update on your laptop?

4) If so, what BIOS version did you update? What BIOS version are you currently running?

5) What ATK Package version are you currently running?

Raziel
07-11-2012, 06:04 PM
1) G55VW-IX099V
2) On resume from sleep. Since hibernation happens after a period of sleep, I assume it would do the same; hibernation is, however, completely disabled on my machine for performance purposes
3) I *think* it only started occuring after flashing to the latest BIOS, but I'm not 100% certain.
4) Had 206, updated to 209 off a USB stick through EZFlash
5) V1.0.0017, found on the official driver page for the G55VW

Apophis
07-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Same problem here.
I have the ASUS G55VW-ES71 and my keyboard backlight does not work after resuming from sleep or hibernation. The laptop came with 208 BIOS, but I updated it to 209 as soon as I started using the computer. I re-installed Windows and installed all of the drivers from the support website including the latest ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities (ATK) 2012.05.23 update. I tried running HControl.exe as Administrator as suggested but that did not fix the problem.

jackcv
07-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Try to uninstall Instant ON utility

Raziel
07-13-2012, 09:46 AM
I never installed the Instant ON utility after formatting, and the problem is still there.

dstrakele
07-13-2012, 01:09 PM
It would be interesting to see if someone with a G55 running a BIOS version PRIOR to 209 can reproduce this issue.

sing_css
07-13-2012, 03:12 PM
) G55VW-S1131V
2) Both
3) I suspect is the BIOS problem too
4) 208 version
5) V1.0.0017

I think is not the matter with instant on~I did try to run Hcontrol but that's still nothing to this problem~Hope can solve this problem soon, cause this is really a gaming beast I ~><"

dstrakele
07-13-2012, 03:21 PM
So far the issue is reproduced with both BIOS versions 208 and 209. The ATK Package version 1.0.0017 remains a suspect.

miyagi181
07-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Hey there...i had the similar problem...when i close the lid and open up, the backlit won't lid...
I've installed the latest ATK Package version 1.0.0017 from the Asus website and problem still occur... Also i've updated the bios to 209..could this be related to the problem?

Please help... THanks

P/S: Similar post thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18192-G55-backlit-problem&p=130929&posted=1#post130929

dstrakele
07-15-2012, 03:52 AM
It could be the version 1.0.0017 ATK Package driver is not playing nice with Sleep/Hibernate, but the BIOS also remains a suspect. G55 systems currently experiencing this issue run BIOS versions 208 and 209.

Please add your answers to the questions in this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18644-Problem-with-backlit-G55&p=129217&viewfull=1#post129217 to this thread

miyagi181
07-16-2012, 12:30 AM
How about some feedback from the 3 of you that posted you're experiencing this issue?

1) Do you have a different laptop model than the G55? What laptop model do you own?

2) Does this issue occur on a) Resume from Sleep, b) Resume from Hibernation, or c) BOTH?

3) Did this issue occur after a BIOS update or did you have the issue right out of the box? Did you check if ASUS Live Update performed a BIOS update on your laptop?

4) If so, what BIOS version did you update? What BIOS version are you currently running?

1) G55VW-S1095
2) c) Both
3) I suspect it's the bios issue
4) BIOS version 209
5) ATK Package 1.0.0017

Bills86e
07-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Hold down FN key and hit F4, once or thrice. It should get brighter each time.

The Green Weed

Raziel
07-16-2012, 07:38 PM
How do you think we're trying to change the brightness/turn on the backlight? Problem still persists, backlight won't work after S3/S4 states.

Apophis
07-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Has anyone tried contacting ASUS technical support regarding this issue?

Liquidus
07-18-2012, 03:03 AM
Got Bios version 206 here, and have never experienced this issue. Tested it right now, too. Works..

dstrakele
07-18-2012, 04:22 AM
Interesting...What version ATK Package are you running?

DId you test Hibernation AND Sleep?

It's starting to look like the issue may have been introduced somewhere between BIOS 206 and 208. Although the problem may not actually be in the BIOS itself, but a problem with the flash update. The simple act of BIOS flashing has been known to take out the keyboard backlights completely on some G73 and G74 systems (see http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/659017-g74sx-keyboard-backlight-disabled.html and http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17070-G73JH-A2.-Keyboard-Light-Problem).

colpolite
07-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Is the default bios not having this issue? Is the default 206? So why are people updating to bios 208 or 209 or 210 or whatever if 206 perfectly works fine? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Apophis
08-21-2012, 05:54 PM
I got my G55 backlight to come on after restoring from hibernation. I am using BIOS v209. The first time I noticed this was when I set the laptop to Windows' default 'High Performance' power profile (NOT Power4Gear) and let the computer run out of battery and go in to hibernation. When plugged in the laptop back in and had Windows restore from hibernation, I was surprised to find the keyboard backlight came back. The backlight now resumes regularly from hibernation, however, the backlight still does not come back after sleep. I'm not sure if the power profile has anything to do with this but it seems to work.

Job
08-22-2012, 08:08 PM
It would be interesting to see if someone with a G55 running a BIOS version PRIOR to 209 can reproduce this issue.

Sziasztok!
Egy G55VW-S1146D különböző BIOS verziókkal 206 - 208 - 209 is ugyanezt a hiba jelenséget produkálja.
Én is nagyon szeretnék megoldást erre, mert igen bosszantó.
Üdv. Job

Apophis
08-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Háttérvilágítás bios független jelenleg

Job, how do you know that backlighting is independent of BIOS, ROGer Liquidus reports that he hasn't had this problem and he is using BIOS 206. This doesn't mean that BIOS is related to the problem, but why are you ruling out BIOS as a possibility? Thanks.

Google Translation:
Job, honnan tudod, hogy a háttérvilágítás független BIOS, ROGer Liquidus jelenti, hogy még nem volt ez a probléma, és ő használja BIOS-206. Ez nem azt jelenti, hogy a BIOS kapcsolódik a problémát, de miért kizárta BIOS, mint egy lehetőséget? Kösz.

dstrakele
08-22-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking the G55 ATK Package v.1.0.0017 driver responsible for the keyboard backlight does not handle Sleep correctly. I recommend you PM MarshallR@ASUS about this issue and open a case.

c_man
08-22-2012, 08:29 PM
I know this. On G55 keyboard light does not work on Linux at all. Does not work in Windows without drivers. On G75 I have light on Linux and on Windows, without drivers. Now, why is this?

dstrakele
08-22-2012, 08:38 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say that ASUS designers listened to customer feedback on the keyboard backlight and made it part of the BIOS in the G75, removing that functionality from dependence on a Windows ATK Package driver.

Fridolin
08-26-2012, 07:42 PM
I made the upgrade to 209 a while ago, and are having the same problem as described in this thread. It seems that the problem is in 208 & 209, so whynot downgrade bios to 206, and everything should be fine.

I have been trying to downgrade/flash with 204, 206, 208 and 209, but with no success, because the flashing tools wont allow flashing, due to the following errors.

EZ Flash from bios: "Build Date is too Old!!"
Aptio Winflash: "3 - Error: ROM file size does not match existing BIOS size."
Aptio AFUDOS: "3 - Error: ROM file size does not match existing BIOS size."

Need help, anybody knows how to downgrade this bios........

ckwoedy
08-27-2012, 05:49 AM
I got my G55VW-DS71 from Xotic PC and it came with BIOS 209 already flashed to the board. I am having the same backlight keyboard malfunction. I have tried multiple drivers, emailed a tech support representative, and tried running the task script to get the keyboard to function properly. I really hope ASUS puts out a BIOS revision soon! A friend of mine has the same model as mine, but his came with BIOS 204 and his backlight works fine. However he is stuck with outdated versions of power4gear and InstantOn.

ckwoedy
08-27-2012, 05:52 AM
Also my friend has issues with network connections on certain routers and connecting certain peripherals, so there are definitely benefits to having BIOS 206 or later.

pimooss
09-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Same here...

1) G55VW-SO135V
2) Both
3) I have this laptop since only 3 days, and the problem was there since the first use. I tried to upgrade the ATK and Bios, but i i already had the last version.
4) 209
5) 1.0.0017

dstrakele
09-14-2012, 05:00 PM
I recommend you PM MarshallR@ASUS and ask him to open a case. Definitely appears to be a BIOS problem at this point.

pimooss
09-15-2012, 06:14 PM
I recommend you PM MarshallR@ASUS and ask him to open a case. Definitely appears to be a BIOS problem at this point.

PM sent. Let's hope we will be heard =)

pimooss
09-17-2012, 04:54 PM
I opened an Asus support case about this 3 days ago, and i just got this answer:

Thank you for getting in touch with our service and we invite you to perform the following operation,

Start> Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services
Right click on "Service ASLDR"> Properties>
Startup type> Automatic> Click "Start"> Apply> OK
Restart the PC.

Have a nice day

Of course, this is not relevant. The ASLDR service is already set on Automatic, and restarting it doesn't change a thing.

colpolite
09-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Weird because I don't have this issue. My model is a G55VW-RS71 and i been trying to produce this problem over and over by putting it to sleep mode and waking it up and i'm still able to turn on/off and readjust 3 levels of brightness settings with no issue.

Is it safe to say now that this could be a possible hardware issue from several g55 bad batches?

pimooss
09-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Weird because I don't have this issue. My model is a G55VW-RS71 and i been trying to produce this problem over and over by putting it to sleep mode and waking it up and i'm still able to turn on/off and readjust 3 levels of brightness settings with no issue.

Is it safe to say now that this could be a possible hardware issue from several g55 bad batches?

Out of curiosity, what is your BIOS Version? Their seems to be a link with the bios.

pimooss
09-25-2012, 02:25 PM
UP!

Still having this problem, and Asus support is telling me to restore my system... Not sure it's going to change a thing since the problem exists since i first turned the laptop on.

Arvinaaaaa
09-26-2012, 09:45 AM
i download a copy of windows 7 without the useless asus softwares..did a clean install and deleted my recovery partition and merge all the partition into one..i install only the drivers and not the softwares..guess what, no audio problem, and the backlit also ok..can turn on automatically after sleep..brightness problem also solved.

pimooss
09-26-2012, 03:58 PM
i download a copy of windows 7 without the useless asus softwares..did a clean install and deleted my recovery partition and merge all the partition into one..i install only the drivers and not the softwares..guess what, no audio problem, and the backlit also ok..can turn on automatically after sleep..brightness problem also solved.

Alright, you convinced me =) I'm gonna try that.
Thanks

sing_css
09-29-2012, 11:33 AM

Can you explain it in detail??? Appreciate it very much!

Arvinaaaaa
09-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Can you explain it in detail??? Appreciate it very much!
i downloaded a clean original copy of windows 7 home premium 64 bit from internet, then i deleted all partition including recovery and merge all into 1 partition..i then installed that copy of windows 7 (since it is clean, so no all the useless asus softwares..after that, i download all the laters drivers from asus download site and nvidia video driver and instelled them..i didnt download any of the asus softwares, only the drivers

NNY
10-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Hi everyone!

A few days ago, I become a member of the ASUS ROG family. My first day on it everything was going good, I uninstalled a couple of things like the ASUS Live Update, and the Vibe applications. On the second day, I noticed the same problem that members on this thread are having. That is the keyboard backlight won't turn on after the laptop goes to sleep mode. I google searched and stumbled upon this thread. Here are a few details of my G55.

- ASUS G55VW-RS71
- Issue occurs when the G55 went to sleep, I haven't tested what it does after hibernation
- BIOS 209 right out of the box
- ATK Package 1.0.0016

Please note that I had clean install in mind after maybe a week for my G55 when I noticed it comes with bloatwares. When I encountered the keyboard light problem, I went ahead with Arvinaaaaa's suggestion on my 3rd day (yesterday). This did not resolve the problem, at least for me.

Weird because I don't have this issue. My model is a G55VW-RS71 and i been trying to produce this problem over and over by putting it to sleep mode and waking it up and i'm still able to turn on/off readjust 3 levels of brightness settings with no issue.

I wonder what is your BIOS version? I really wish you come back to this thread, because I think it will help us narrow the potential cause down :(

At this point after finding what I can find on the web, and especially from this thread. It seems the problem isn't the ATK Package 1.0.0017, because I have the ATK Package 1.0.0016. My suspicion are aimed at the BIOS or the hardware (keyboard lights).

This to me is a minor problem, a convenience issue. It'll be nice if my backlight works as suggested, but it's not groundbreaking enough for me to want to hate my G55. I love my G55, runs cool as advertised, moreover furmark and 3dmark benchmarks are on point with the web reviews/testimonials I researched before I went ahead and ordered it.

Of course it'll be nice if we find a solution to this problem. So... please guys, members, and also ASUS tech supports alike, help us out! :)

demo.ckp
10-27-2012, 11:37 AM
I have clean install of Win7 and the trouble is the same!!

eu fiz uma instalaçăo limpa do Win7 Ultimate e continuo com o problema.

rewben
10-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi everyone!

A few days ago, I become a member of the ASUS ROG family. My first day on it everything was going good, I uninstalled a couple of things like the ASUS Live Update, and the Vibe applications. On the second day, I noticed the same problem that members on this thread are having. That is the keyboard backlight won't turn on after the laptop goes to sleep mode. I google searched and stumbled upon this thread. Here are a few details of my G55.

- ASUS G55VW-RS71
- Issue occurs when the G55 went to sleep, I haven't tested what it does after hibernation
- ATK Package 1.0.0016

Please note that I had clean install in mind after maybe a week for my G55 when I noticed it comes with bloatwares. When I encountered the keyboard light problem, I went ahead with Arvinaaaaa's suggestion on my 3rd day (yesterday). This did not resolve the problem, at least for me.

I wonder what is your BIOS version? I really wish you come back to this thread, because I think it will help us narrow the potential cause down :(

At this point after finding what I can find on the web, and especially from this thread. It seems the problem isn't the ATK Package 1.0.0017, because I have the ATK Package 1.0.0016. My suspicion are aimed at the BIOS or the hardware (keyboard lights).

This to me is a minor problem, a convenience issue. It'll be nice if my backlight works as suggested, but it's not groundbreaking enough for me to want to hate my G55. I love my G55, runs cool as advertised, moreover furmark and 3dmark benchmarks are on point with the web reviews/testimonials I researched before I went ahead and ordered it.

Of course it'll be nice if we find a solution to this problem. So... please guys, members, and also ASUS tech supports alike, help us out! :)

just curious, what are the settings in the bios for "Wake on Lid Open" and "Power Off Energy Saving" in Advanced tab? try set them both to Enabled, save the changes and reboot. then test it with fn+f1 keys (sleep button) or power button. both should be able to make the laptop sleep and wake up.

if possible, disable the hibernate function by typing "powercfg -h off" in elevated command prompt also (right click on command prompt and select run as administrator).

edit: btw i'm using ATK Package 1.0.0023 (http://nbtsd.asustreiber.de/Tools/ATK%20Package_V1.0.0023.zip).

pimooss
11-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Good news:

It appears that the new BIOS v214 is solving the problem (it did for me) !

Thank you Asus =D

ptrgbc
11-11-2012, 11:46 PM
got the same problem too....downloading the new bios and gonna try it in a bit. will update later. finger crossed
EDIT:after installing BIOS 214 everything works as it should, backlit screen brightness etc

sing_css
11-12-2012, 03:19 AM
BIOS v214 solve the whole thing! hell yeah!!!!

EricSP
11-12-2012, 12:15 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say that ASUS designers listened to customer feedback on the keyboard backlight and made it part of the BIOS in the G75, removing that functionality from dependence on a Windows ATK Package driver.

I got a G75, updated to 210, no backlight, I downgraded to the default G75VW and still no backlight.

hlorenzl
11-13-2012, 04:39 AM
Hi everyone!

- ASUS G55VW-RS71
- ATK Package 1.0.0016

Hi! some new posts say BIOS 214 works fine. I do agree BIOS 209 was a bit buggy. In my case, I have a G55V that came out-of-the-box with BIOS 206. Everything works well - especially the keyboard functions and KB backlights. I have tested it when turning my PC in sleep mode or in hibernate mode and when it wakes up/resumes, everything works just fine. even when there are these USB devices that were connected before sleep/hibernate and disconnected when the notebook is in hibernate mode, my G55 still works fine when it resumes.

I have a question though: Which BIOS version is better then, the 206 or the 214? I am currently in Windows 7 and I am just waiting for all the proper drivers of G55 for Windows 8 be available before upgrading to the new version of Windows.

By the way, during my first week of use with my G55, I also noticed those bloatwares. I chose the ones I wanted to retain and the ones I don't want to use. I filtered the programs that starts with the system boot. I am particularly annoyed with the Asus Live Update and I seem to have freezing problems at the time it is still present in my lappy. But when I removed it, I never had any other issues.

pimooss
11-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Hi,
After some days with the new bios 214, i can safely say that it is stable. I didn't notice any troubles or performance issue.

Also, i installed Windows 8 yesterday (from scratch, i didn't want to update), and everything seems to works out fine. Only the audio card driver doesn't seem compatible yet, but the sound is working with the default windows 8 driver anyway.

NNY
11-26-2012, 07:58 PM
just curious, what are the settings in the bios for "Wake on Lid Open" and "Power Off Energy Saving" in Advanced tab? try set them both to Enabled, save the changes and reboot. then test it with fn+f1 keys (sleep button) or power button. both should be able to make the laptop sleep and wake up.

if possible, disable the hibernate function by typing "powercfg -h off" in elevated command prompt also (right click on command prompt and select run as administrator).

edit: btw i'm using ATK Package 1.0.0023 (http://nbtsd.asustreiber.de/Tools/ATK%20Package_V1.0.0023.zip).

Hey!

Finally a follow up from me. But talking about BIOS 209 (or 208 as my ASUS Winflash says,) I have actually never went the route that you suggested. I went about a month of looking at this thread everyday, and I quit looking until about a week ago and BIOS 214 was available and the new BIOS ver. fixed two problems so far. One is the backlight not working after the G55 went to sleep, second is the subwoover still emitting sound even when a headphone was plugged in to the G55 headphone jack.

Hi! some new posts say BIOS 214 works fine. I do agree BIOS 209 was a bit buggy. In my case, I have a G55V that came out-of-the-box with BIOS 206. Everything works well - especially the keyboard functions and KB backlights. I have tested it when turning my PC in sleep mode or in hibernate mode and when it wakes up/resumes, everything works just fine. even when there are these USB devices that were connected before sleep/hibernate and disconnected when the notebook is in hibernate mode, my G55 still works fine when it resumes.

I have a question though: Which BIOS version is better then, the 206 or the 214? I am currently in Windows 7 and I am just waiting for all the proper drivers of G55 for Windows 8 be available before upgrading to the new version of Windows.

By the way, during my first week of use with my G55, I also noticed those bloatwares. I chose the ones I wanted to retain and the ones I don't want to use. I filtered the programs that starts with the system boot. I am particularly annoyed with the Asus Live Update and I seem to have freezing problems at the time it is still present in my lappy. But when I removed it, I never had any other issues.

I have never tried 206, so I cant really comment which is better between that and the 214.

BIOS 214 like I said above fixed those two problems that I have with BIOS 209/208. So guys and gals! If you are on BIOS 208/209 and have keyboard and subwoover problem, try 214, it does great for me so far on my second day. Im really2 happy right now :D

Oh, and I am still on Windows 7. I went ahead and downloaded the Winflash utility that is marked for Windows 8 on the ASUS website, and the 214. It flashed within minutes and worked great right away.

pdiwi
11-28-2012, 08:48 PM
hi people, i just updated my bios to 214 and updated atk package to

im using a g55vw-rs71 with 32gb ram on windows 7.

i still havent resolve this issue on my unit. hope there is a fix for this.

whenever it sleep or shutdown, the power button light wont go off and the status light too, this makes me unable to power up again, the only solution i have is to remove the battery for a hard reset.

dstrakele
11-28-2012, 09:18 PM
The Power On button should flash when the laptop is in Sleep. It should be off for Hibernate and complete Shutdown.

If the problem you report existed under the previous BIOS version, it sounds like it is hardware-related. If your laptop is new, return it to the retailer for an exchange or complete refund. Otherwise, set up an RMA for Warranty repair.

rewben
11-29-2012, 01:54 AM
pdiwi, that's what happened to my g55 with bios 2.14. i downgraded it to 2.09.

pdiwi
12-02-2012, 02:03 PM
i hope i wont need to send it back. i am from 206 as stock then upgraded to 214 after reading about the comments but it seems it didnt help. can you guide me on how to downgrade it to 209? im not really sure what im doing here.

rewben
12-02-2012, 02:11 PM
ok, sure. first, please read the two ways of downgrading bios here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24602-G75VW-AHCI-stopped-working&p=176342&viewfull=1#post176342). i would prefer the first one, but it's up to you.
just make sure your battery is ok, and plug in the power source also.

edit: if you have chosen one of them, please ask questions if you're unsure of anything. i will try to help.

NNY
12-27-2012, 04:19 AM
A quick update.

BiOS 214 didn't thoroughly resolve the headphone jack problem. When the headphone is already plugged in, it will still emit sound until you replug it again. But at least I didnt have to mute it and unmute through VIA Audio Deck like BIOS 208. The keyboard backlight problem is completely resolved though!

pdiwi
12-28-2012, 02:39 AM
214 and 209 didnt work for my frozen power button after shut down. im currently using 209, im getting pretty scared on bios bricks that why i settled for 209, i am from philippines and have problem with shippings for RMA (if i want to return it for a fix)

rewben
12-29-2012, 09:14 AM
@pdiwi, oh you have the same problem as i do with the latest bios, too. and you're in another place without a local service center :/

well, 209 is not that bad (to me everything is OK). with w8 it's faster than i thought so i will keep using it.

AlexTheRepublican
01-29-2013, 08:36 PM
I know this kind of problem and encountered it when I was using old Toshiba laptops, never heard of beastly ROG G55s having this. This might be a software issue, might be just a minor manufacturing problem which should be told to ASUS so I suggest going to a service, if you still have your warranty.

JRd1st
02-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I remembered there was a better solution so I'll post it. I just installed Win 8 on my G74SX-A1 and had to do this.

I installed the latest ATK package, then restart
Install the latest P4G then restart
Uninstall the ATK package then restart (You'll get an error that p4g only runs on an asus machine. don't worry.)
Reinstall the latest ATK package and restart

You should now have control over the KB backlights with no issues.

It appears that p4g needs to be installed before the ATK package works correctly.

Null_Unit
03-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Try this - launch ...\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey and execute HControl.exe. Then press Fn-F4 to turn on the keyboard backlight.

Thank you! This solved my G75VW keyboard lighting turning off after latest Bios update.

RalockKaltan
12-15-2013, 03:22 AM
I realize this is an old thread but I had the same problem with keyboard backlight disabling on sleep (Win7 64x G55V) so am bumping the thread. After flashing to BIOS version 217 using the Windows BIOS Flash Utility from the ASUS website at http://www.service.asus.com/#!downloads/c1wax the problem seems to be solved. Hopefully this works for everyone else.

samuelius
06-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Hello,

I was searching this forums to find a solution to a similar problem, but my case is a bit different.
My notebook needed a motherboard replace, which edned up successfuly (I bought one from hong kong), I also installed windows 10 with the SN from the bottom of the ntb but I have no keyboard backlight.
I checked youtube videos if keyboard lights shines during boot after "power ON" - my notebook keyboard now does not light up even when booting/powering notebook ON...
I also checked if I didn't forget to plug all what has to be plugged during re-assembly - It seems I didnt miss anything...the "power" button shines, but not the keyboard, is it strange, ins't it? If I forget to plug back something, this button would't shine as well, or not?
BIOS was 209, after update to 217 still no keyboad backlight...

Thank you for your help, if any...

Dreamonic
06-24-2016, 12:34 AM
You just need to use this (http://voltground.com/vbioses/Keyboard_Light_Fix.rar) to get your keyboard lights working again (follow the guide in there for setup). Special thanks to Gary Key.

samuelius
06-24-2016, 10:57 AM
You just need to use this (http://voltground.com/vbioses/Keyboard_Light_Fix.rar) to get your keyboard lights working again (follow the guide in there for setup). Special thanks to Gary Key.

Thank you so much for letting me know about this...

But strange thing happend - followed the instructions, also double checked on the original forum if this works on other laptops than G73JH and after running "fixmykb" in the DOS the flash tool showed me "Can't write data, Return code -1" but after pressing ctrl+alt+del to restart the notebook the KB lights came up!! And in windows I just intalled the latest ATK package and now the KB lights are working!!!
So I don't know I should write on forum to say a big thanks to Gary Key because even his tool returned error and I saw no "flash processing" (whole precedure took max 5 seconds for me to read wtf the error is and press ctrl+alt+del), it obviously remind my KB to light up!

Dreamonic
06-27-2016, 06:58 AM
Yes,

I had that same error message displayed as well and it worked for me too (G751) after restarting. That fix works on every model of ROG notebook with keyboard lights it seems.

Grantman
06-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Thank you so much for letting me know about this...

But strange thing happend - followed the instructions, also double checked on the original forum if this works on other laptops than G73JH and after running "fixmykb" in the DOS the flash tool showed me "Can't write data, Return code -1" but after pressing ctrl+alt+del to restart the notebook the KB lights came up!! And in windows I just intalled the latest ATK package and now the KB lights are working!!!
So I don't know I should write on forum to say a big thanks to Gary Key because even his tool returned error and I saw no "flash processing" (whole precedure took max 5 seconds for me to read wtf the error is and press ctrl+alt+del), it obviously remind my KB to light up!

Worked for me with g751gy and exactly as you mentioned!

In prep I had removed the latest ATK then booted off usb drive and ran command, restarted and instantly lights working but no controls, installed the ATK, restarted, and everything is good!

Something to note for others trying this, I had to mess around in bios enabling CSM (to enable reading of DOS boot language) and toggled secure boot feature and quick boot features (not sure if toggling changed anything, but initially I had trouble booting off the flash drive).

Awesome