PDA

View Full Version : Slow reboot time

MaXimus711
07-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I had this problem with my previous G73Sw and now also on my new G75VW

The notebook is smoking fast after boot up but if you calculate the reboot time, it takes double the time of that it takes my Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 to reboot.

Mainly, the slow down occurs during POST, the screen sort of like hangs for 5-7 seconds on the Asus Logo then continues to boot normally as if it were looking for something or some boot media even though I have put the Windows Partition Manager as the first boot device...

Does anyone know any trick to speed up the reboot process?

Mine takes like 45 secs to shut down, reboot, POST, load windows, and back to desktop

This is on a FRESH Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Install with the drivers from ASUS (latest ones) except for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver I installed the latest one 11.2. Windows is installed on the SSD offcourse

My lenovo IdeaPad Y570 which has lower specs (mainly an i7 QM2670 / 8 GB RAM) reboots in 29-30 seconds

Here is the reboot tool I use to calculate the time

Download Reboot Timer (http://www.mediafire.com/?21qnjl1h2r3lib0)

dstrakele
07-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Mainly, the slow down occurs during POST, the screen sort of like hangs for 5-7 seconds on the Asus Logo then continues to boot normally as if it were looking for something or some boot media even though I have put the Windows Partition Manager as the first boot device...

Where is your SSD in the boot order?

I would also try uninstalling the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to see if it changes behavior.

MaXimus711
07-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Where is your SSD in the boot order?

I would also try uninstalling the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to see if it changes behavior.

SSD is first, like I said, the problem is not the performance in Windows that is slowing down the boot process. It is the hanging on that ASUS logo forever....

Can you run the utility and tell me what is your Reboot time please?

Thanks

dstrakele
07-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately, that utility doesn't run on my phone...

Consider my recommendation to uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. There are reports it may actually SLOW performance on some SSD's (see http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=505451&postcount=51n). It is possible this may include boot times.

MaXimus711
07-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Unfortunately, that utility doesn't run on my phone...

Consider my recommendation to uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. There are reports it may actually SLOW performance on some SSD's (see http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=505451&postcount=51n). It is possible this may include boot times.

I see, but would would you run the utility on your phone LOL?
I meant can u run it on your notebook and see what reboot time you get

dstrakele
07-07-2012, 08:29 PM
That would require that my notebook was here with me, but alas, it is not...

waynes26
07-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Here you go my results..

MaXimus711
07-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Here you go my results..

WOW!!! that's amazing man

Few questions:

1) Do you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver installed? If yes, which version?

2) What are your exact BIOS BOOT Settings

Thank you

Angrybrit
07-08-2012, 03:34 PM
bet ya to it 9887, just set the ssd to the first boot device and keep you win 7 lightweight on ssd

my reboot .vbs
Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next
Dim Wsh, Time1, Time2, Result, PathFile, MsgResult, MsgA, AppName, KeyA, KeyB, TimeDiff

MsgA = "Fermez toutes les applications en cours et cliquez sur OK."
KeyA = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RestartTime\"
KeyB = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run\RestartTime"
AppName = "Restart-Time"
Set Wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
PathFile = """" & WScript.ScriptFullName & """"
Result = wsh.RegRead(KeyA & "Times")
if Result = "" then
MsgResult = Msgbox (MsgA, vbOKCancel, AppName)
If MsgResult = vbcancel then WScript.Quit
Wsh.RegWrite KeyA & "Times", left(Time,8), "REG_SZ"
Wsh.RegWrite KeyB, PathFile, "REG_SZ"
Wsh.Run "cmd /c Shutdown -r -t 00", false, 0
else
Wsh.RegDelete KeyA & "Times"
Wsh.RegDelete KeyA
Wsh.RegDelete KeyB
TimeDiff = DateDiff("s",Result,left(Time,8))
MsgBox "PC restarted in " & TimeDiff & " seconds", VbInformation, AppName
end if
wscript.Quit

MaXimus711
07-08-2012, 08:23 PM
bet ya to it 9887, just set the ssd to the first boot device and keep you win 7 lightweight on ssd

my reboot .vbs

There is no option in BIOS to set the SSD to the first boot device, there is the BD-Rom drive and the Windows Manager

I have the Windows MAnager as my first boot device

what can I do?

Angrybrit
07-08-2012, 09:36 PM
when you boot press F2 you will get into your bios and there will be the boot menu select the ssd...

waynes26
07-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Gee 23 seconds thats good, I have still got all the ASUS stuff installed that could be the overhead.

1) Do you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver installed? If yes, which version?

Version 2.5.1.0

2) What are your exact BIOS BOOT Settings
Not sure which ons you want, i display the logo with no sound, and have the (Windows Manager) set as the boot drive, by the way in brackets it Say's (Po: Intel SSD..........) Therefore it is the SSD.

hope that helps a bit.

Angrybrit
07-09-2012, 12:05 AM
i did a fresh reinstall and only installed the fan filter check and the atk package...

dogla
08-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Mine restarts in 32secs but a cold start takes between 1.30 - 2mins. It finishes post in 8secs and after that is where it kinda "slows down"....after the windows logo starts.....then a blank screen for 1m30 some secs.....
Frustrates the **** out of me, that's even with an OCZ SSD installed as boot drive.

Ohh yea it's also a fresh install (although been using it for a while)