PDA

View Full Version : G75 / G55 ROG. Things that could be added (post your wishlist)

phill1978
07-07-2012, 09:01 PM
hey,

The G series are Great laptops. But i thought it would be usefull (if anyone from Asus is listening) to start a thread with suggestions about how the laptops could be made better for gamers who want the best and pay the premium.

Thing I do like:

Cooling performance and low noise
Soft touch case and palm rest
great matt screen
ROG logos and general nice design
illuminated keyboard

Things I would like to see added:

most of the things i would like are aesthetic as i feel the ROG should really stand out as a boutique item..

illuminated keyboard with LED multiple colour choice so we can have the ROG red backlit keys (Alienware has this, so does MSI and so do Sager, all top competitors so i think Asus need it too)

Illuminate the existing ROG logo on the back of the laptop tying in with the colour choice of the keyboard and light up the small palm rest Asus rog logo subtly (with the option to turn off)

allow for GPU swap ability ! i know the laptop is MXM but its not been easy to swap in most cases its extremely off putting. Allowing for switching GPU keeps people in the Asus family longer and extends the life of the machine hence giving better value for money and meaning some people will spend the extra initially. I know clevo, sager and alien ware can swap GPU`s.

onto the GPU... allow for the choice between the top Ati or Nvidia GPU (currently 7970m or 680m) and dont limit screen support from 120hz if you choose the Ati model.

hmm.. im sure there is lots more :)

Post your ROG gaming laptop suggestions and wish list

Shawnnepc
07-07-2012, 10:42 PM
illuminated keyboard with LED multiple colour choice so we can have the ROG red backlit keys (Alienware has this, so does MSI and so do Sager, all top competitors so i think Asus need it too)

Illuminate the existing ROG logo on the back of the laptop tying in with the colour choice of the keyboard and light up the small palm rest Asus rog logo subtly (with the option to turn off)

Pretty much this :D

Zygomorphic
07-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Glasses-free 3D supporting games...'nuff said.

john_from_ohio
07-07-2012, 10:49 PM
hmm.. im sure there is lots more :)

I want a higgs boson powered unit please ...

Shawnnepc
07-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Glasses-free 3D supporting games...'nuff said.

Ugh, the Glasses-less parallax filters make the units have terrible color quality and viewing angles .

Not only that but slightly moving your head will cause vertigo.

UltimaRage
07-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Cooling is already exceptional, however it can still be improved.

-More intake vents under the unit that also have removable dust filters.

-Optimus ability (this should be possible without hardware altercations actually, I bet ASUS could release a bios update or software update that would enable such capability) Although I admit I do not know the details of how Optimus is implemented.

-More universal GPU form factors for easier upgrades.

-Better sound system (Current one isn't bad, but I don't think it is up to the level of similar spec'd competitor units)

Ugh, the Glasses-less parallax filters make the units have terrible color quality and viewing angles .

Not only that but slightly moving your head will cause vertigo.

Yes... unfortunately, you have to look straight on the screen at all times for the 3D to look right. Multiple people cannot comfortably view 3D media on these screen types, unless a recent improvement has been made that I am not aware of.

volors
07-08-2012, 02:54 AM
allow for GPU swap ability ! i know the laptop is MXM but its not been easy to swap in most cases its extremely off putting. Allowing for switching GPU keeps people in the Asus family longer and extends the life of the machine hence giving better value for money and meaning some people will spend the extra initially. I know clevo, sager and alien ware can swap GPU`s.

+1 , if asus dont want to make g75 models with gtx680M ,just release the GPU GTX 680M seprately(as it alraeady has MXM but the card layout is different from sager and alienware) so whoever want can upgrade can, just like desktop gpu's.

phill1978
07-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Cooling is already exceptional, however it can still be improved.

-More intake vents under the unit that also have removable dust filters.

this ^

quiet cooling is EVERYTHING in a laptop it makes or breaks what components you have and for many is the decision between which laptop to buy. When you consider the ROG is quieter and cooler than others it seems odd not to have MXM switching and top end cards from launch.

id be happy with some smooth intake mouths like a car at the front subtly under the front chin and unlike the alien ware MX range they would actually function as air intakes, every little helps as some people have cooler stands, some people have flat surfaces and the front is almost always never blocked on a laptop where the underneath is !

rhozac
07-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Replaceable switched keyboards, cherry red, cherry black, cherry blue(or simmular/close to). Blue for writing/work, and red/black for gaming which ever you prefer.

SLI/CF. One gpu might be enough now, but in a year?.

kiba
07-08-2012, 01:46 PM
customization/OC features and tools in BIOS, and the same thing for vBIOS, and access to vBIOS, like they have on their Crosshair V mobo's and GPU's, which are designed to work well together.

that is pretty much it, oh, and asus stop having kids build your laptops in sweatshops, for one thing theyre not very good at it. lolz joking of course.

SHDZ
09-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi ROG team, ASUS designer and leader!

I would like to have the G55 which can switch from onboard graphic to the graphic card.

The Graphic card has to be GTX 680M. That’s a must!

The CPU should be an Intel® Mobile Core i7 3632QM with only 35W to save power if you use battery. Since normally the gaming performance relies on the graphic card, this CPU has enough power for gaming and other purpose.

Since I have to ware glasses I’d prefer the 3D polarization technology. I have a Philips 42PFL TV with this technology. The 3D view is excellent and the glasses are light and comfortable. I can wear glasses behind the 3D glasses and won’t have a headache after some time.

Bluetooth should always be built in.

The G55 should support 32G of memory.

Besides that I think this Notebook is exactly what I want (nice design, good cooling, quiet, good screen). But I will wait until it is build with the GTX 680M because the gaming performance will be much better!

Maybe ASUS could make an Upgrade of the G55 and G75 by changing just the graphic card to GTX 680M that would increase the sells immediately.

Best wishes

PS.

I hope the ROG team will forward these requirements to ASUS. With the above mentioned features, especially the GTX 680M, none of the other gaming Notebooks can compete. The G55 or G75 will be real bestsellers!

PS. PS
Referring to the other posts in this thread:

I think better sound system is not necessary since you can work/play using headsets. If you are at home you should anyway have good speakers. For online gaming playing with friends you anyway wear headsets to communicate whit your friends (e.g. BF3).

To illuminate logos could be a matter of a special edition. I have to use the Notebook as well at work. And here the present appearance is just fine. More would be too much!

PS. PS. PS
After waiting several days before I got the permission to post something, I continued to read in the Forum.
The result is that there are many people who as well want the GTX 680M inside the G75 or G55 pleas, everybody who reads this and other posts like “Dear Asus/ROG” continue to tell them, it might help!
ROG can’t let it happen to loose customers because not implementing a graphic card which has twice the power to the GTX 660M. At least there should be the option to get the G75 or G55 with such a card at a higher price of cause.

SHDZ
09-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Last year I bought a ASUS N43SL Notebook because I wanted to have a good sound to listen to musik or see a movies.

But even the sound is not so bad, it can not compare with the "compaq presario v1008AP" I had before.

Maybe ASUS/ROG should have a look at this old notebook.

Best wishes

SHDZ

ggBanks
09-26-2012, 01:17 PM
- LED display technology like most of the Dell XPS laptops. The quality of the colors will be tremendously better.
- 2 HDD bays in all ROG laptop models in case people like to configure in RAID or simply add more space to the computers.
- And of course PLEASE add some branded audio like JBL or THX certified speakers or some stuff because G55s speakers sound in times worse than my old Toshiba A500s Harman/Kardon and it wasn't in any case a gaming nor a multimedia laptop.
- The GPUs shouldn't be limited to only 2 options. Or even if they were, at least they should be the top 2 of all.
- Finally some extra illumination would be a really nice jewel to the series. After all we are talking game changer here right?!

Asus_G72GX
09-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Switchable Nvidia Ion + GTX680 would be great. I plenty happy with current G75 power consumption, I run almost two and half hours with out wi-fi and minimal screen brightness. And the last thing I want to see in future G series generation is scratch free cover, because after few weeks the cover on corners peeled a bit( But anyway G75 is perfect&gaming machine for me, it's perfect. But I was totally disapointed with G72GX display, they was deffective, after few months lid become flicker I hope that those will be not repeated in future generation those lid technology must be 100% perfect.
P.S.
Would be great if ROG make special accessory line: protection films, shell covers like those on Macbook's.

Clintlgm
09-26-2012, 09:57 PM
For me I think they need to something with the sound systems on these notebooks and not at our cost!!! we paid a lot for these to have a totally sucking on-board sound system.
I would have liked to have a eSATA port. USB 3.0 will probably be great sometime in the future presently its only very slightly faster than USB 2.0 and its flaky
I agree with the rest of you that we need an upgrade path

Shawnnepc
09-26-2012, 10:14 PM
For me I think they need to something with the sound systems on these notebooks and not at our cost!!! we paid a lot for these to have a totally sucking on-board sound system.
I would have liked to have a eSATA port. USB 3.0 will probably be great sometime in the future presently its only very slightly faster than USB 2.0 and its flaky
I agree with the rest of you that we need an upgrade path

I have to agree.

The N76 is one of our most popular laptops and the audio on that machine is beyond fantastic.

I'm not sure why ASUS isn't porting the Bang and Olufsen systems into their highest tier product.

I think the consumer is willing to pay extra for the stunning audio that some of the other ASUS laptops have

Zygomorphic
09-27-2012, 12:53 AM
I have to agree.

The N76 is one of our most popular laptops and the audio on that machine is beyond fantastic.

I'm not sure why ASUS isn't porting the Bang and Olufsen systems into their highest tier product.

I think the consumer is willing to pay extra for the stunning audio that some of the other ASUS laptops have

Maybe to differentiate the systems? Most gamers I would think would have an external audio system or a set of nice headphones, making the sound system less necessary... and the space for the great speakers is taken up by the insanely good cooling system.

toink
09-27-2012, 07:07 AM
could you guys at Asus make the battery brick a lot more smaller.....hehehe!!!

Zygomorphic
09-27-2012, 10:15 AM
could you guys at Asus make the battery brick a lot more smaller.....hehehe!!!

I'm waiting for super-capacitors...2 hr run-times with 2 minutes recharges and life-spans measured in decades...

ggBanks
09-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Yes and IF possible please make the next gen ROGs to come with a teleportation device and quantum dimension differentiator :D

Shawnnepc
09-27-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm waiting for super-capacitors...2 hr run-times with 2 minutes recharges and life-spans measured in decades...

You'll be waiting a long time.

batteries make to much profit to be replaced by something like that

Zygomorphic
09-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Yes and IF possible please make the next gen ROGs to come with a teleportation device and quantum dimension differentiator :D

Second that!

@shawnnepc, PopSci mentioned that there is now a laptop mouse with a super-capacitor in lieu of a battery...they are coming, and soon...I hope. :)