PDA

View Full Version : I put windows 8 on mine.

Budco2000
07-08-2012, 01:03 AM
I'm an android user and never liked the windows phone because of the square tiles. I liked my own home screen on android because of animated widgets. But on my laptop I got to admit I'm not hating it. I actually quite like it. I have a double SSD Drive System thing going. With window on one drive, and everything else on another. All pictures, movies, music, backups of all my software and then the installed programs themselves. I always have everything right there ready to go. I took the factory slow ass POS hard drive, wiped it and deleted the partitions. (Make sure u burn DVDs of your recovery image) and i downloaded the windows 8 ISO, opened the ISO and cyber link pops up, then I burned it. Took both hard drives out and only put in the one I am getting ready to install windows too. After the DVD is done just reboot with the hard drive you want to you, and install windows 8 and see if you like it. If you copy over windows 7 with your existing drive, you can't go back. You can't use Ai recovery or windows 7 recovery. So you'll need your DVDs to go back to out of box state. On any hard drive.

I pretty much got it the way I like it, all my programs are installed, all my mail settings are set, All my window settings are set. I have no problems playing any of my Games, had no problem installing any of the Asus drivers. after playing with it for a couple hours a day I go back to windows 7 with my other hard drives. windows 8 is a little buggy but could be used as a daily OS.

I wouldn't install over windows 7, I would always start with a fresh copy

MaXimus711
07-08-2012, 06:40 AM
congratulations! Would you like a cookie as well for your accomplishment?!

Windows 8 is the worst OS on the planet! An OS for tablet PCs on a computer! No thank you!

john_from_ohio
07-08-2012, 11:36 AM
congratulations!

Hey for some people just trying any kind of change on a laptop/pc is a big leap of genius ... it is all relative right?

I for one may be willing to eventually try Win 8 as long as I can get my old start button functionality back ... "completely".

There are some hacks/workarounds right now for Win 8 to do that but not sure how stable that stuff is ... some 3rd party apps will be out soon enough if microsoft really leaves that option out of the final build ... still hard for me to imagine though!

Zygomorphic
07-08-2012, 11:47 AM
I have used Windows 8, and on the tablet, I think it will be a hit. On the regular laptop/desktop, it will be a total disaster unless they give us the Start Button back. Using the Metro UI with a mouse is an exercise in frustration. Especially when you get a huge number of utilites installed with something like Visual Studio. In the Start Menu, they are organized, in Metro, they clutter everything.

Still, let me offer @Budco my congratulations as well. Also, if you have a nice big USB flash drive (4 GB+), you can install from that instead of burning a DVD, but that is just me. Enjoy!

Budco2000
07-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Just sharing my thoughts. I'm not afraid to try something new. It's different and it works quite well.

Budco2000
07-08-2012, 04:15 PM
My mouse scroll wheel scrolled metro with ease. Page to page actually, I found it freshing after 17 years of the same boring interface.

Budco2000
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Once u get it all set up, you'll find you don't really need a start button. Programs and all programs are still there just in a different area.

MaXimus711
07-08-2012, 08:21 PM
what a tool, bet he dont have any friends. Because this douche doesn't like it, and probably never tried it , means nobody will like it. Duh. Always an ignorant one in the bunch lol.

I did install it and found it horrible and not intuitive.

I formatted my computer after 10 mins of using that POS OS

UltimaRage
07-09-2012, 06:12 AM
I did install it and found it horrible and not intuitive.

I formatted my computer after 10 mins of using that POS OS

That isn't enough time to do anything or learn anything about it.

Don't hate it just because it is different than the same tired scheme from Microsoft..

MaXimus711
07-09-2012, 07:07 AM
A full 10 minutes huh? Damn, that totally backs up your intelligent, well-supported argument on why Windows 8 is horrible. You win.

Guess I better switch of to IOSX while I'm at it.

What about this: Is it just me or does Windows 8 SUCK? (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/31286-Is-it-just-me-or-does-Windows-8-SUCK)

That poll shows how most people think......intelligent IT people......

and what about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyc1RVCXvAk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zALHdzDNig0&feature=player_embedded

Zygomorphic
07-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Let's not resort to flaming it will surely destroy the reputation that the ROG forum has. Many new visitors stay because we encourage them, and we respectfully discuss issues on which we do not readily agree. The whole point of the forum is to discuss the issue in a rational way.

Kipper
07-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Alrighty folks

One of the great things about this forum is the respectful way we all can disagree without resulting to schoolyard bully tactics.

We the staff would appreciate that any of you that have posted inappropriately would return to your posts and clean them up via the edit option. If by this evening this thread is not cleaned up then I will return and clean it up for you. By you I am referring to the flamers.

Any further flaming will result in a vacation from the forums; length of vacation to be determined by the staff.

MaXimus711
07-09-2012, 07:31 PM
@Maximus711, control yourself! If you keep up this flaming, I will report you to the mods as I do the cyber-criminals. Your words are beneath your dignity, and definitely beneath the standard that everyone else on the forum holds. Everyone else, let us just ignore him, he is just spouting hate. He is entitled to his opinion, but name-calling is not acceptable, even when we do not agree. This flaming will destroy the reputation that the ROG forum has. Many new visitors stay because we encourage them, and we respectfully discuss issues on which we do not readily agree. The whole point of the forum is to discuss the issue in a rational way. Simply flaming is just a more gron-up way of bickering like little kids.

very wise words

respect +1 for you

I edited my post with the flames

Kipper
07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks for taking the time to clean up the thread MaXimaus.

Hoping others with experience on Win8 will join in; be nice to see if the ASUS programs will work on the new OS as well as the many different benchmarking software.

Dark
07-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Hammer to windows 8 is best bet they messed it up big time. i have seen it on pc's in shop's looks gay would not buy it for a penny hate windows 8. But on saying 7 could be better if they fixed all the bugs with it 8s just a nightmare and users would not go near it

edit all im saying is windows 8 is weird as they have removed stuff and made big lists of stuff. its ok for grown ups about it but children its not and microsoft should know better then to make something look weird and none windows like they should of left it looking like windows but without bugs then maybe ill buy it but at moment its a no from me

Zygomorphic
07-09-2012, 09:10 PM
very wise words

respect +1 for you

I edited my post with the flames

Thanks! +1 respect back to you for listening! That speaks volumes about your character, hope the same can be said of mine!

Shall I remove my post?

Dark
07-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks! +1 respect back to you for listening! That speaks volumes about your character, hope the same can be said of mine!

Shall I remove my post?

Leave your post on hun its great to see +1 respect to users all are great on this forum and if i could i would +1 all

UltimaRage
07-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Reminds me of the reluctance to accept Vista before it was even out in favor of the more familiar XP.

Now the Vista/Windows 7 GUI is far more attractive and far more accepted.

There is a classic start menu option in Windows 8 to change back to the Windows 7 style.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-how-to-re-enable-the-classic-start-menu

HiVizMan
07-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Thank you to all concerned who were big enough to edit their posts and dial back the flame.

There is a reason why ROG is different from so many of the other forums out there, and it is you guys. Mature enough to put your hands up and say yeah I went to far, and I am willing to correct that.

My respect to all of you.

Thank you.

Zygomorphic
07-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Back to the Windows 8, how many people have tried different pre-release versions? I tried the original developer's preview, as well as the consumer preview. I must admit, Windows 8 is pretty stable. Even for pre-release, Microsoft is getting their stability act together...it was about time.

kiba
07-10-2012, 01:30 AM
What about this: Is it just me or does Windows 8 SUCK? (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/31286-Is-it-just-me-or-does-Windows-8-SUCK)

That poll shows how most people think......intelligent IT people......

and what about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU&feature=player_embeddedlmao, that first one is terrible. im surprised he got this far in life.... jk jk i kid. I like how he didnt give up though lol

reminds me of watching my grandma use a computer, you just want to like, push her aside and do it yourself, and shes all, "no, i have to figure this out for myself" 3 hours later, she hasnt made any progress, and shes still staring at the desktop. old people sure are determined though, youve got to give them that.

dstrakele
07-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Karma will ensure your grandkids find you to be a 'determined' old man...

Kipper
07-10-2012, 05:20 AM
LOL

I am a Great Grandfather as of this evening and I am still teaching my kids, their kids and soon now their kids kids how to build a screaming machine.

Nothing wrong with getting old as long as it does not affect your mental age. LOL My old lady says I am still the same dam teenager she went steady with in high school.

So take it easy on us old folks.

Zygomorphic
07-10-2012, 10:18 AM
LOL

I am a Great Grandfather as of this evening and I am still teaching my kids, their kids and soon now their kids kids how to build a screaming machine.

Nothing wrong with getting old as long as it does not affect your mental age. LOL My old lady says I am still the same dam teenager she went steady with in high school.

Congratulations! Make sure those kids can say "LN2" before they are two! :)

HiVizMan
07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
LOL

Congrats Kipper - enjoy them all. And you are spot on. Age is not about the body but the mind.

kiba
07-10-2012, 12:27 PM
congrats on becoming a great grandfather, and yes, i probably do have some karma coming my way. maybe sooner than i'd like to think (i'll be 28 in a few months, and my fiancé is preggers.... i'm happy but time sucks lol)

Kipper
07-10-2012, 02:43 PM
congrats on becoming a great grandfather, and yes, i probably do have some karma coming my way. maybe sooner than i'd like to think (i'll be 28 in a few months, and my fiancé is preggers.... i'm happy but time sucks lol)

Sleepless nights, diapers, and no money for any big boy toys, and you call that KARMA. LOL

Congrats to you young man.

Kipper
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Well, I said I would become a Great Grandad last night but that never happened; the little angel held off just to prove me young. LOL

Born at 12:01 this morning weighing in at 8 pounds 10 ounces, meet Aubree Lynn.