PDA

View Full Version : G74sx 6 months old Powers Up on AC only

Ardani
07-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Hi Guys,

I bought a G74SX in January 2012 it has been working just fine until today. Now it is July so I have used it for around 6 months. The notebook will not run on battery anymore, when I press the power button nothing happens no light nothing. However it works when I plug in the AC adapter. I tried removing the battery and holding down power button for 45 seconds did not help. The battery is fully charged and shows green light and it does the top up charging from 95% to 100%. But it refuses to run on battery alone. If I unplug the AC adapter cord the notebook will turn off immediately. We have had rain storms all day, can this have been a power surge ruining the mother board or PSU inside the notebook?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

PS: I don't look forward to send it for repair since my friends notebook got scratched and dented at the repair shop.

Boosted_R
07-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Sounds like the battery is bad......If the G74 is seeing the battery and is saying it charged, that would indicate that the connection on the motherboard to battery is fine.... Talk to Mason@ASUS (on this forum) and see if you can send the battery alone to be replaced. Good luck

Ardani
07-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I contacted the ASUS hotline here in Sweden and they want me to send both the computer and battery to the service center.

Today I am getting red and green blinking on battery light, do you know what that means? It says 95% plugged in not charging.

Cheers,

Ardani

cl-scott
07-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Based on what you describe, I would concur it sounds like you have a bad battery. Call the Asus support number for your area (1-888-678-3688 in the US) and get started on the RMA process. If you encounter some sort of difficulty during the RMA process, then you can let Mason (who is one desk back from me) or myself know, and one of us will look into it, see what we can do to move it along for you.

Boosted_R
07-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I contacted the ASUS hotline here in Sweden and they want me to send both the computer and battery to the service center.

Today I am getting red and green blinking on battery light, do you know what that means? It says 95% plugged in not charging.

Cheers,

Ardani

Based on previous laptop (DELL), red/green means failed battery

380mcn
07-11-2012, 07:26 PM
battery dead. same happenend to me. 2 months after purchased. asus replaced it.