PDA

View Full Version : G75v display replacement?

rreyna23
07-09-2012, 01:24 AM
Hello guys, I hope I'm posting in the appropriate forum lol. Well I guess I'll start, pretty much I went to compusa and bb searching for the ROG G series line and I ended up making a purchase at CompUSA and later on when messing with the laptop I saw my laptop maxed at 1600x900. I wasn't aware of the difference between HD+ and FHD, I just assumed 1080p had become the industry standard by now. So yes it is my fault, I was more concerned with cpu, battery life, and the gpu that I didn't research displays. Had I known there was a difference, I would have gladly spent the extra $100-200 to upgrade the display to FHD. Anyway, if any of you have done business with CompUSA you might be aware of their return policy of 15% restocking fee and their 10 business day mail in check with purchases over $500. Oh and sales tax will not be refunded so altogether this amount totals over $300 lost for just returning the item lol. So yeah I've started to explore another option: in just buying a 17.3 FHD display to fit my laptop and put it in myself.
I have no experience in this matter, as far as I know the display should have no problem working. Since the graphics supports (660m) the FHD display. I'm just concerned about the pin connectors on the laptops motherboard, and if drivers will be an issue? Those are the only problems I can think of possibly causing an issue. I really don't know who to speak with about this. :confused:

john_from_ohio
07-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Anyway, if any of you have done business with CompUSA you might be aware of their return policy of 15% restocking fee and their 10 business day mail in check with purchases over $500. Oh and sales tax will not be refunded so altogether this amount totals over $300 lost for just returning the item lol. So yeah I've started to explore another option: in just buying a 17.3 FHD display to fit my laptop and put it in myself.

This is possible but not going to be easy to find the correct display and the price to purchase it retail + shipping etc may be close to your price difference.

Also not going to be easy to do the switch and you could easily break something unfixable unless you are highly skilled in laptop maintenance.

Personally if you want/need the best display ( and the real 1080p display is gorgeous ) just bite the bullet and return it.

MaXimus711
07-09-2012, 07:02 AM
So let me get this straight, you would rather take the risk of damaging your laptop and losing warranty just because you don't want to spend another $300 bucks??????? :mad:

Sigh.........some people.....

Mr Gadget
07-09-2012, 07:56 AM
I don't think Compusa can legaly withhold your sales tax. Maybe they can withhold it on the 15% portion but not the entire purchase. They are real close to bankrupty so it doesn't suprise me that they are trying to screw you. If they incist you should turm then into the tax board. After they are the bumbs that should an underconfigured system.

There are a couple of good online vendors that will sell you the laptop that you need. Hey, maybe they will take a trade or do the swap as a licensed resellet and that should nould not effect the warranty. If you try this route please post the outcome. This might be another way around the <16 GB ram upgrades.

rreyna23
07-09-2012, 09:46 AM
This is possible but not going to be easy to find the correct display and the price to purchase it retail + shipping etc may be close to your price difference.

Also not going to be easy to do the switch and you could easily break something unfixable unless you are highly skilled in laptop maintenance.

Personally if you want/need the best display ( and the real 1080p display is gorgeous ) just bite the bullet and return it.

well i found the display used for the g75 online on ebay, its $155. i have a cousin that has replaced broken screens on laptops before while he's worked at a local computer repair shop. i mean im really sure it should work, i mean ive never heard of a display not being able to work other than the gpu not able to output in that resolution or maybe the adapter doesn't have enough voltage?

Yeah i am leaning towards biting the bullet as well, it just sucks to find out about HD+ this way. i do take the blame myself but im also annoyed at the employee's not informing me of this detail. i made a comment to them while purchasing the product that i wouldnt mind spending more if it affected performance. should have rang the bell that i want FHD lol but alas they probably dont even know what they're selling.

rreyna23
07-09-2012, 10:04 AM
I don't think Compusa can legaly withhold your sales tax. Maybe they can withhold it on the 15% portion but not the entire purchase. They are real close to bankrupty so it doesn't suprise me that they are trying to screw you. If they incist you should turm then into the tax board. After they are the bumbs that should an underconfigured system.

There are a couple of good online vendors that will sell you the laptop that you need. Hey, maybe they will take a trade or do the swap as a licensed resellet and that should nould not effect the warranty. If you try this route please post the outcome. This might be another way around the <16 GB ram upgrades.

Well some ppl say the 15% can be removed on the discretion of the store, today i spent my day talking with asus tech support and i pretty much got "it should work but no guarentees and we dont do upgrades here". ive read that dell is able to do upgrades for their customers, and i wish asus would have helped me in this regard but i dont feel bitter about it seeing as its not a common request. i can also see why itd be hard to find out to see if this works or not because usually ppl buy their display as they want it lol i mean id have to take apart both g75 1080p and the 900p versions to see if they're exactly alike other than the displays. i already know that u cant swap out 1080p or the 900p for the 3d display because of different pin connectors. once i read that i kinda already knew im in a risky gamble, and like one other post said im going to lose warranty. and although i trust asus quality, they are not without their fair share of issues.
Yeah i was looking at some online venders today, i dont know if they'll take an exchange but im hoping maybe they'd be willing to swap it out while maintaining my warranty. But im also going to try compusa and see if they're able to swap it out while maintaining my warranty? what sucks about the returning the computer the most is the 10 day wait for the check to arrive not so much the money lost lol

rreyna23
07-09-2012, 10:14 AM
So let me get this straight, you would rather take the risk of damaging your laptop and losing warranty just because you don't want to spend another $300 bucks??????? :mad:

lol no need to get mad, i was just contemplating my options and getting feedback :p im very well aware of the risk involved, which is why i havent done anything yet. also ill let u know paying the $300 bucks has never been out of the question. ive also considered just being happy with 900p. i mean would the higher rates on high-ultra settings in games and less strain on the gpu outweigh the 1080p resolution with slower rates? :confused:

MaXimus711
07-09-2012, 07:28 PM
lol no need to get mad, i was just contemplating my options and getting feedback :p im very well aware of the risk involved, which is why i havent done anything yet. also ill let u know paying the $300 bucks has never been out of the question. ive also considered just being happy with 900p. i mean would the higher rates on high-ultra settings in games and less strain on the gpu outweigh the 1080p resolution with slower rates? :confused:

My previous G73Sw had the 1600 screen like you I was mad at first as I didnt know there was a full HD version. But after thinking about it, it seems to be better because you can play games at the native resolution of 1600x900 and enjoy higher frame rates

we are forced to play at 1920 or lower the resolution but decrease the image quality

really if i were you I would be glad not disappointed

rreyna23
07-09-2012, 10:58 PM
My previous G73Sw had the 1600 screen like you I was mad at first as I didnt know there was a full HD version. But after thinking about it, it seems to be better because you can play games at the native resolution of 1600x900 and enjoy higher frame rates

we are forced to play at 1920 or lower the resolution but decrease the image quality

really if i were you I would be glad not disappointed

so ur not liking the FHD on urs at the moment?

kiba
07-10-2012, 12:58 AM

hey, cmon now, it can be fun to take stuff apart.... lol, honestly I dont think theres any warrenty stickers to worry about under the screen, all he would have to do is remove the back plate behind the screen, and that would give you access to all the wiring and screws that you would need to replace it (at least thats the way the G73 and G74 are).

I say go for it if you feel confident doing it.

and my GF's G73 is 16x9, honestly its all about preference, you will get higher fps on a 16x9 but for peoplel who do graphic design, etc, the extra room on screen definitely helps.