PDA

View Full Version : On my 3rd G75

kiba
07-10-2012, 12:23 AM
So i just exchanged my 670m G75 which was having problems for a 660m one because i wanted the newer card with kepler architecture....

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18649-turns-out-my-g75-was-defective-(&p=126867#post126867

And was running benchmarks on it this weekend, just to be sure, like I always do w/ new computers. It got up to ~97 degrees C during furmark, so, obviously a faulty thermal paste job on the GPU. Also, and i couldnt figure this one out... it seemed VERY slow, CPU stayed above 18% activity at all times, and this is straight out of the box, nothing but ASUS's stuff on it. So, I took it back and exchanged it for a new one of the same type. The good news is that it has the new BIOS version on it pre-installed.

Something weird that I noticed w/ the new one... i was petting it :p and noticed that it has the same rubberized paint that my G73 and G74 have, the previous model was just black plastic, and im not sure if the first one had it.... weird.

Anyways, it turns out, sweatshop children arent very good at building notebooks ;) jk jk, wish me luck with this one. Micro Center HAS to be tired of me by now. next one i get will probably have spit in it instead of thermal paste.

Holy
07-10-2012, 12:26 AM
lol well the highest ive hit was 80 degrees C. while F@H with all 8 three for 3 hours lol

kiba
07-10-2012, 12:37 AM
the protein folding thing? not bad. yeah 97 means something is definitely wrong w/ the paste

ⱤΞΛⱣΞⱤ
07-10-2012, 01:13 AM
After reading this thread I got interested in actually furmarking my g75. You'll all probably laugh when I tell you it's something I've never done before, so I'm not exactly sure how to do it properly. However, I did download furmark 1.10.0 and did one of the test. I guess a good question would be how long I'm suppose to do it for? Aside from letting it get to 97C what else am I looking for?

Holy
07-10-2012, 01:29 AM
artifacts( without an over clock)
and anything shutting down/restarting on its own type things

Here4Help
07-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Believe me, you aren't the only one that has had a third G75.

My first one had a defective HDMI port.

Second had a highly sensitive keyboard, the computer was basically typing its self as if someone was using the Keyboard.

Best of luck with your new unit!

kiba
07-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Second had a highly sensitive keyboard, the computer was basically typing its self as if someone was using the Keyboard.

that sounds like malware, saw something like that the other day at work. mouse was moving around on its own too, the guy was probably looking at too much pr0n :rolleyes:

kiba
07-10-2012, 01:42 AM
After reading this thread I got interested in actually furmarking my g75. You'll all probably laugh when I tell you it's something I've never done before, so I'm not exactly sure how to do it properly. However, I did download furmark 1.10.0 and did one of the test. I guess a good question would be how long I'm suppose to do it for? Aside from letting it get to 97C what else am I looking for?
hehe, you definitely do NOT want it to get up to 97C

15 mins should be good.

Here4Help
07-10-2012, 01:54 AM
Nah, It was a defect right out of the box, I couldn't even set up the computer name and network on first boot because the keyboard was going crazy.

kiba
07-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Nah, It was a defect right out of the box, I couldn't even set up the computer name and network on first boot because the keyboard was going crazy.
i blame the children :mad:

Here4Help
07-10-2012, 02:13 AM
i blame the children :mad:

Haha, yea! Children shouldn't assemble notebooks without knowledge:p I know you're joking! lol!!

jdotjdot7
07-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Geez, i bought an ASUS G75-BBK5 from best buy with a 2 year warranty for 1500 (total with tax) and the only problem mine has that wasnt software related so far was the plate on the bottom wasn't in properly so I had to unscrew it and reinsert it in. Oh and i guess the i7 sticker on it is off by about 5 degrees but thats just my OCD talking :)

curti
07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Geez, i bought an ASUS G75-BBK5 from best buy with a 2 year warranty for 1500 (total with tax) and the only problem mine has that wasnt software related so far was the plate on the bottom wasn't in properly so I had to unscrew it and reinsert it in. Oh and i guess the i7 sticker on it is off by about 5 degrees but thats just my OCD talking :)

After I returned my first G75-BBK5 (stuck pixel) the second one was the same way as yours except I have different stickers that aren't straight. Luckily I was already going to upgrade it so the panel was going to come off. The stickers still bother me. I might remove them.

john_from_ohio
07-11-2012, 12:30 AM
The stickers still bother me. I might remove them.

Might? MIGHT ???

A machine that screams performance and brilliant design and you are "considering" removing the stickers?

kiba
07-11-2012, 05:18 AM
i dont get the stickers lol. its a little redundant.