PDA

View Full Version : New Phoebus BETA 7.20 driver is available

jmacguire
07-10-2012, 04:53 PM
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ROG+Xonar+Phoebus&p=21&s=3

This has been posted in other threads but only as a response to other comments. Thus, I have reposted it as a primary topic.

dedaciai
07-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Have you tried the new driver yet? Not sticking my toes into the water until I hear some feedback on these new drivers...I have messed with my rig enough trying to get the Phoebus to work. :-/

creepin
07-10-2012, 06:48 PM
well i couldn't install it because it says i have to connect my Sound Card first???

Operation Nadethrow
07-10-2012, 07:34 PM
it work fine, i played BF3 2hs without problems :-). uninstall first the old driver than install without a restart the beta driver and play.

..VeNoM..
07-10-2012, 07:35 PM
So this the final revision of the beta?

Raja@ASUS
07-10-2012, 07:40 PM
This is the beta driver. If there are any revisions those will actually be a "new" driver with a different version number.

I think a lot of people wanted more than BF3 patched but to date you are the only one I know of that told me they had submitted a bug report form for anything other than BF3. Not much anyone can do about that until these guys decide to mail in their reports and wait for another update.

xjoey83x
07-10-2012, 07:48 PM
beta driver has fixed BF3 for me

x7007
07-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Ye about time, thanks, i will check as soon as i get home.

Lotek
07-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the update Raja@ASUS. Some people are just never happy. You could hand them a hundred dollar bill and they would complain it's not crisp enough. Thanks for your help in getting issues resolved for us.

Raja@ASUS
07-11-2012, 07:38 AM
No probs. What helps us most is people making a comprehensive report. Also, feature requests in software are listened to. It just depends what can be done by the teams at this point. If something cannot be changed this time round, then they will add it to future products so it's not in vain. This was their first attempt, and while there is room for improvement, it was not a bad first try. Lots to learn from.

-Raja

Simonbrown10
07-12-2012, 06:49 AM
First time poster here. Been following this site since purchasing the Phoebus card. So was the Optical connection issue even addressed before this beta driver was released? It's been mentioned a number of times but wasn't fixed with the latest revision of the driver. When will this be resolved? I'm running the Logitech Z-5000 speakers using optical but don't have the option to change how many speakers I'm using other than 2 as the speaker icon is greyed out. Can't even change the speaker setting in Windows 7 speaker settings.

Also I've tried using the 3.5mm jacks and I get a bad buzzing out of the rears which is constant no matter what I'm doing (Games and Movies).

Hope the optical issue is resolved soon as I am enjoying the sound from this card even in stereo.

Raja@ASUS
07-12-2012, 07:17 AM
There are more updates planned. The issue is that many users don't bother filling out a bug report form and mailing it in, and then expect things to be miraculously patched for them. If you want something changed or patched, email in the request.

Chickenz
07-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Don't use optical! The Z-5500 DAC is worse than warm beer. Use analog. Then go into FlexBass set 120hz Crossover and all speakers to large. Then you will see why you paid for this beast of a soundcard. As for your buzzing I have no issues on either of my sets of however I found I had to put my rear in what is the surround back (used in 7.1) I'd try this.

On a more ontopic note. Thank you Raja. I can confidently say this is now amazing and made the upgrade from my Xonar D2X well worthit. Hope they pay you well there good sir :)

Simonbrown10
07-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Don't use optical! The Z-5500 DAC is worse than warm beer. Use analog. Then go into FlexBass set 120hz Crossover and all speakers to large. Then you will see why you paid for this beast of a soundcard. As for your buzzing I have no issues on either of my sets of however I found I had to put my rear in what is the surround back (used in 7.1) I'd try this.

On a more ontopic note. Thank you Raja. I can confidently say this is now amazing and made the upgrade from my Xonar D2X well worthit. Hope they pay you well there good sir :)

I'm not using the Z5500 I'm using the older Z5000 but I've changed the speakers to Legend-Kangas (Australian speaker) and for rears M&K Speakers (unknown model) but cost $1500 a pair so the speakers are all excellent. Will try the 3.5mm jacks that came with the Logitechs again and apply the settings you have posted.

Regarding the speaker config by setting speakers to large I'm effectively sending bass to the mains as well as the sub? Are you using a subwoofer in your setup?

I always appreciate the efforts of support for products, but not getting a simple thing like Optical to work with an OS like Windows 7 (or older OS) is a bit disappointing. I would hope there was testing performed before Asus release a soundcard for all connection types (Being only 2) before a public release. I would not be alone in this thinking regardless off bug reports being sent, but I do understand where Raja is coming from.

Chickenz
07-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Haha so other Aussies do exist! I'm in QLD :D. I can't find info on your speakers exactly. Sorry I see alott of people call the 5500's 5000's. However to explain the crossover frequency. I do have a sub mine are a fully stock setup. On my Z5500's the crossover is handled by the base. On analog it then takes all frequencies below 120hz and passes them to the sub. So the reason I set the crossover is to channel the bass to all speakers so the built in crossover accurately picks it up and sends it across. I believe it would be the same with yours based on what little info I could find. But perhaps you know yourself or can find out. But yeah thought I'd explain the logic. Certainly would be a terrible idea to try and get the stock 5500 speakers to do below 120hz though haha (mainly below 80) :P

Simonbrown10
07-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Haha so other Aussies do exist! I'm in QLD :D. I can't find info on your speakers exactly. Sorry I see alott of people call the 5500's 5000's. However to explain the crossover frequency. I do have a sub mine are a fully stock setup. On my Z5500's the crossover is handled by the base. On analog it then takes all frequencies below 120hz and passes them to the sub. So the reason I set the crossover is to channel the bass to all speakers so the built in crossover accurately picks it up and sends it across. I believe it would be the same with yours based on what little info I could find. But perhaps you know yourself or can find out. But yeah thought I'd explain the logic. Certainly would be a terrible idea to try and get the stock 5500 speakers to do below 120hz though haha (mainly below 80) :P

Yep Victoria here. I tried your settings and the sound wasn't to mt liking so I've currently have the sample rate at 96/24 and speakers set to small with flexibass disabled. Ok the buzzing (hard to describe it exactly not a buzz) but it's only audiable when I use 6 ch Direct mode on the Logitechs. I'm only running 4 speakers so cant change setup to 5.1 etc but cant hear it while playing a game like diablo but when nothing is playing I can hear it. If I switch to stereo or stereox2 it's not there.

No idea what is causing it. It's like a low whine sound coming from all 4 speakers.

Chickenz
07-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Sounds like cable to be honest... But I'm sure you've check that..

jmacguire
07-14-2012, 01:22 AM
wrong topic, my fault.

sebastiaan
07-14-2012, 03:14 AM
still got sound looping whit the asus sound card

Raja@ASUS
07-14-2012, 08:27 AM
still got sound looping whit the asus sound card

Then fill out a bug report form and mail it to the address provided, or contact ASUS Support in Belgium and explain the issues in depth to them.

Jandenengelsman
07-14-2012, 09:31 AM

Hi there..

I also got the z5500, and for sure analoog is much better then the optical! But do you have the same problem with the suround? when all surround settings are 'off' and i play music on youtube it's auto mixed up too 5.1 but when you play music from my harddrive (with the same settings) it's normally in stereo. But when you set your sample rate to 44.1 the youtube music is also in stereo.. the settings i use normally is 96/24. This problem i only have with the latest driver, do you got the problem too? (i allready filled in a form for that one!)

txfeinbergs
07-15-2012, 08:33 PM
There are more updates planned. The issue is that many users don't bother filling out a bug report form and mailing it in, and then expect things to be miraculously patched for them. If you want something changed or patched, email in the request.

Raja, I requested this a long time ago, I just want to make sure you captured/forwarded it. I would like for the breakout box volume control knob to work in external speaker mode as well as just for headphones i.e. so you can turn up/down the volume without having to leave your game.

Raja@ASUS
07-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Raja, I requested this a long time ago, I just want to make sure you captured/forwarded it. I would like for the breakout box volume control knob to work in external speaker mode as well as just for headphones i.e. so you can turn up/down the volume without having to leave your game.

This part of the message is for everyone:

I am not the one you need to "tell". Submit a bug report form, the fixes themselves have nothing to do with me per se. I don't do "capture and forward" of bug reports, you guys need to use the form provided and submit yourself. If the team deem it worthy or doable they add it, if not they won't.

Specifically your question:

Plus, I don't think what you want will work as that will require the requisite hardware, which won't be a part of the breakout box or card as it was never an intended option. There needs to be some kind of GPIO I would have thought to tie that volume control back to the speaker output DACs or C-Media chip. If it is not there, then I don't see how it can be done off the top of my head.

symbianslave
10-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Hi Everyone;

I would welcome everyones comments or suggestions specifically if I'm doing things wrongly,My problem is when I use the Dolby home theater Music Profile, the sound just goes bad..I using 3 separate steroe speaker sets on 7.1 mode , no subs..

When I play music directly through erach of my speakers (not from my PC) it sounds great so I'm thinking that the problem is not with my speakers, besides, I'm very much happty when I use them for games,

I dont think this is a bug, can anyone share me waht they have on their settings in Doldby for Music?

Or is this card only for games and best used in steroe mode when playing music?

Newt182
10-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Specifically your question:

Plus, I don't think what you want will work as that will require the requisite hardware, which won't be a part of the breakout box or card as it was never an intended option. There needs to be some kind of GPIO I would have thought to tie that volume control back to the speaker output DACs or C-Media chip. If it is not there, then I don't see how it can be done off the top of my head.

I wont pretend to understand what you have said, but the volume control on the breakout box controls the Windows volume when headphones are plugged in. So I fail to see how that input cannot be read without using headphones. :confused:

Raja@ASUS
10-31-2012, 07:27 AM
I wont pretend to understand what you have said, but the volume control on the breakout box controls the Windows volume when headphones are plugged in. So I fail to see how that input cannot be read without using headphones. :confused:

Maybe you should rephrase the question so both of us can understand it. :)

I've removed some of my initial post for sake of simplicity:

The DAC sections for the headphone output and the rear speaker outputs are completely separate on the card and two different chipsets are used AFAIK (C-MEDIA and REALTEK). The volume control will be tied back to the chipset in question and won't have hardware embedded to control both.

But hey don't let me stop you. You guys all know where the bug report form and email address of the Xonar team are. Feel free to contact that address with whatever you think the card should be able to do. :)

CSF@ROG
10-31-2012, 09:05 AM
But hey don't let me stop you. You guys all know where the bug report form and email address of the Xonar team are. Feel free to contact that address with whatever you think the card should be able to do. :)

I already have, and here is the funny part: I didn't get any response to my email (bug description), not even a receipt notification let alone a ticket. So there is no way for me to tell if my message got through or if a new (possibly bugfixed) driver is even in development. Not very appealing.

Raja@ASUS
10-31-2012, 09:38 AM
I already have, and here is the funny part: I didn't get any response to my email (bug description), not even a receipt notification let alone a ticket. So there is no way for me to tell if my message got through or if a new (possibly bugfixed) driver is even in development. Not very appealing.

They are read. You won't get a response as it's set up as an inbox only. It's not a response "support" inbox. It's a bug report box. If you want to go through support tickets then the only way to do that is contact ASUS Support for your region.

I just suggest what I do as that's how the system is set up for feedback.

Glasofruix
10-31-2012, 11:02 AM
The DAC sections for the headphone output and the rear speaker outputs are completely separate on the card and two different chipsets are used AFAIK (C-MEDIA and REALTEK). The volume control will be tied back to the chipset in question and won't have hardware embedded to control both.

About that, the realtek chipset is there to handle the microphone input, nothing else. The outputs are processed by C-Media chip, then sent to appropriate DACs (there are three of those, one for stereo, one for headphones, and one for surround channels). The volume control on the knob is a purely software gimmick that controls the windows volume slider.

Raja@ASUS
10-31-2012, 11:56 AM
About that, the realtek chipset is there to handle the microphone input, nothing else. The outputs are processed by C-Media chip, then sent to appropriate DACs (there are three of those, one for stereo, one for headphones, and one for surround channels). The volume control on the knob is a purely software gimmick that controls the windows volume slider.

It still has to have a hardware input at the chipset - can't work without it. How many IOs that can be tied back to can be limited by software (C-Media driver package, not coded by ASUS) and internally in the hardware.

As I said earlier, if you want it, ask for it by submitting an email to the Xonar team on the supplied address. Doesn't mean you'll get it for sure - just depends what is possible.

Thirteenth
11-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Hey, when is the new full driver is out for win 7 64 bit? Cuz the latest driver is beta, and that is for long time, when will you update it with the full driver, asio can't be use in the beta driver

Glasofruix
11-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Later this month, if they actually work on the thing...

PhuxAche
03-12-2016, 07:11 PM
The new Phoebus Driver (Win10 64Bit) is messing with my uTorrent Client, and a few other apps too.
And to prove this, I uninstalled the new Driver, and lo and behold, uTorrent Client works flawlessly.

I don't like the drivers that much fo this card. Although it's a good card, the drivers give out a ridiculous Bass (not that
I complain at any rate for loads of Bass) but it means I have to totally lower the low Frequencies EQ's to avoid too much of a boom.
The Studio looks like it's got loads of tweaks, etc, but is pretty lame. These drivers do not do this card justice.
Finally, I love my games and Music equally. Why did I pick this card for sound? I will always ask myself this question......