PDA

View Full Version : USB 3 Problems

Darkpsycho
07-11-2012, 12:50 AM
So I've been having usb 3 problems lately with my WD Passport SE drive. USB 2 drives work fine, plug in and its recognized, however, whenever I plug in my USB 3 hdd it doesn't recognize in windows but it does start up. For it to recognize I have to plug in my usb 2 flash to get it going which isn't a big deal but I shouldn't have to do that. And on top of that, when it does connect to the USB 3 hdd, it's not stable and disconnects randomly inthe middle of things which has now resulted in the formatting of my whole hdd making me lose a lot of videos and isos -__-

Anyone know whats wrong and how to fix it?

Here4Help
07-11-2012, 01:33 AM
I have been trying to solve this problem for sometime as well with no luck. This problem seems to only happen when I plug my 1TB WD Passport on the left USB 3.0 ports. However, I have tried plugging my WD to my friend's notebooks (Asus G75) and the same problem is present. All three notebooks faced the same issue ( multiple attempts to get windows to recongize it, even if it does, it asks you to format it). When it eventually works, it disconnects randomly. This happened on all three notebooks. It may actually be a problem with the WD passport drive, that's what've concluded.

I am not sure which model you have, but the problem is very similar. And yes, 2.0 flash drives work fine with all ports with no problem.

Darkpsycho
07-11-2012, 02:00 AM
I haven't tried the right usb ports but I don't see why they would be any different. They should be working fine I don't understand why this happens in the first place

TechMaxed
07-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Well I am currently using the G55 Malaysian model and i plugged in my WD Passport SE 3.0 to all ports and all the ports worked fine...

Here4Help
07-11-2012, 02:28 AM
I haven't tried the right usb ports but I don't see why they would be any different. They should be working fine I don't understand why this happens in the first place
I know what you mean, they're all the same. It's hard to figure out what the problem is. It's impossible for all three notebooks to have defective 3.0 ports (in my case). Try your right ports and see the results.

TechMaxed
07-11-2012, 02:42 AM
have you tried uninstalling the usb 3.0 driver, restart and installing the usb 3.0 driver from asus website then plug in your device...

Darkpsycho
07-11-2012, 02:48 AM
I know what you mean, they're all the same. It's hard to figure out what the problem is. It's impossible for all three notebooks to have defective 3.0 ports (in my case). Try your right ports and see the results.
Same Result, in fact in the midst of transferring files i touched the usb connection and it disconnected immediately then reconnected but i still had to restart the file transfer.

I'll try uninstalling the usb 3 driver right after this is done

Holy
07-11-2012, 02:50 AM
my WD passport works fine except when i try to do a windows backup where is randomly disconnects and reconnects. although i can transfer 150gb's at once with no problem.

Here4Help
07-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Same Result, in fact in the midst of transferring files i touched the usb connection and it disconnected immediately then reconnected but i still had to restart the file transfer.

I'll try uninstalling the usb 3 driver right after this is done
The latest driver I downloaded is Version 1.0.5.235, which seems to somewhat fix the problem.
The one on the Asus site is version 1.0.3.214.

Here4Help
07-11-2012, 03:02 AM
Bug fixes inVersion 1.0.5.235:
“Format disk” window might pop up after a USB3.0 device is
plugged in into the USB3.0 port >> Resolved in Release Rev: 1.0.5.235 (PVHF5)

USB3.0 Thumb drive might failed to enumerate after the device is

USB Modem failed to enumerate after the device is plugged in
into the USB3.0 port >> Resolved in Release Rev: 1.0.5.235 (PVHF5)

Darkpsycho
07-11-2012, 04:40 AM
Bug fixes inVersion 1.0.5.235:
“Format disk” window might pop up after a USB3.0 device is

USB3.0 Thumb drive might failed to enumerate after the device is

USB Modem failed to enumerate after the device is plugged in
into the USB3.0 port >> Resolved in Release Rev: 1.0.5.235 (PVHF5)
I'm only able to find 1.04 where did you d/l 1.05?

kiba
07-11-2012, 05:14 AM
did either of you use ASUS liveupdate to install new USB drivers? if you havent already, uninstall that right away.

Darkpsycho
07-11-2012, 03:10 PM
No i uninstalled liveupdate as soon as i started up this computer.

Here4Help
07-11-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm only able to find 1.04 where did you d/l 1.05?

Is this the driver you have currently installed in V 1.04? >> Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver..

cl-scott
07-11-2012, 04:10 PM
So I've been having usb 3 problems lately with my WD Passport SE drive. USB 2 drives work fine, plug in and its recognized, however, whenever I plug in my USB 3 hdd it doesn't recognize in windows but it does start up. For it to recognize I have to plug in my usb 2 flash to get it going which isn't a big deal but I shouldn't have to do that. And on top of that, when it does connect to the USB 3 hdd, it's not stable and disconnects randomly inthe middle of things which has now resulted in the formatting of my whole hdd making me lose a lot of videos and isos -__-

Anyone know whats wrong and how to fix it?

Do you have any other USB 3.0 devices to test with? Or maybe even just a different USB 3.0 cable for the drive? That would go a long ways to determining if you have some kind of hardware failure. The design of USB cables and connectors really just is not all that great. In order to get the faster speeds, they just add additional pins recessed further into the port, which ultimately just means that the act of plugging/unplugging the devices will make it more and more likely one of those shorter recessed pins gets bent or damaged. Asus, and every other computer and/or component vendor is stuck implementing the rather questionable (in my opinion anyway) decisions of the USB IEEE standards group.

So if you had another device or at least another cable you could test with, it'd help rule out the problem being with the drive and/or cable.

Darkpsycho
07-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Is this the driver you have currently installed in V 1.04? >> Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver..

I just installed 1.0.5 but it doesn't really fix it. Plugged in the hdd and didn't read until i plugged in my usb 2 flash drive. And no i do not have another usb 3 device.

Here4Help
07-11-2012, 08:44 PM
I just installed 1.0.5 but it doesn't really fix it. Plugged in the hdd and didn't read until i plugged in my usb 2 flash drive. And no i do not have another usb 3 device.

The next step in troubleshooting is to either buy another drive or USB cable. I may buy one and tell you the results. This is kind of complicating becuase 2.0 devices work prefectly. BTW windows 7 doesn't fully support 3.0. Another step would be to dual boot windows 8 CP and see if windows 8 handels it differently. I 'll try to post results soon.

Here4Help
07-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Lol, I tried plugging my drive under Ubuntu and no problems at all, this at least guarantees that it is not a hardware issue. I will try with windows 8 if it goes all well.

Darkpsycho
07-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Perhaps but if other people seem to be working fine, i'd like to fix it and not lose all my data on my hdd again.. which was like 600gb of stuff.

Here4Help
07-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Perhaps but if other people seem to be working fine, i'd like to fix it and not lose all my data on my hdd again.. which was like 600gb of stuff.

As promised, all 3.0 USB ports work pefectly under windows 8. I can't think of any other solutions to this problem, but I've concluded that it's the lack of power. Your USB ports are not supplying enough power to your drive. Another based on the steps I took, USB 3.0 does not play well with windows 7. These problems were gone in windows 8/ubuntu during the tests..

I don't know what else to suggest; try a new 3.0 device and see if the problems exist.

Here4Help
07-12-2012, 04:03 PM

As promised, all 3.0 USB ports work pefectly under windows 8. I can't think of any other solutions to this problem, but I've concluded that it's the lack of power. Your USB ports are not supplying enough power to your drive. Another based on the steps I took, USB 3.0 does not play well with windows 7. These problems were gone in windows 8/ubuntu during the tests..

I don't know what else to suggest; try a new 3.0 device and see if the problems exist.

Ayman
07-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Intel USB 3.0 Driver v1.0.5.235 (04-06-2012) latest.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21375/eng/USB3_Win7_1.0.5.235_PV.exe

Darkpsycho
07-14-2012, 03:16 AM
Already found it, Ayman, but thank you. I still have problems with it so I don't know

Guitarmaker
07-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Have you went to Western Digital's site (wdc.com) and checked out their FAQ's? They address a problem with their drives not playing well with Win 7 and have drivers for the Passport SE that can be down loaded.

I don't have the Passport, so this is just one more idea that may help.

Darkpsycho
07-17-2012, 05:17 AM
Have you went to Western Digital's site (wdc.com) and checked out their FAQ's? They address a problem with their drives not playing well with Win 7 and have drivers for the Passport SE that can be down loaded.

I don't have the Passport, so this is just one more idea that may help.
I just updated the firmware, it seems to have fixed it as so far I haven't had problems with plugging it in. Thanks for the suggestion!

Darkpsycho
07-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Update, spoke to soon, still having problems

Guitarmaker
07-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Some people have solved this problem by using a shorter USB cable. From the postings I read, the WD Passport must draw close to the limit of power supplied by the USB ports. Some claim that a 'Y' cable that plugs into 2 USB ports solved their problem. Others just used a shorter cable.

WD should be aware of the Passport/Win 7 problem since there are lots of discussions about it on http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Portable-Drives/.

Guitarmaker
07-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Sorry, the above link is incomplete. Try this one: http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Portable-Drives/WD-passport-not-detected-on-windows-7/td-p/421452

Here4Help
07-24-2012, 03:13 AM
I just updated the firmware, it seems to have fixed it as so far I haven't had problems with plugging it in. Thanks for the suggestion!

Did you update the firmware on your WD Passport? New firmware update states that it fixes incompatibility issue with Intel 3.0 host controllers. Just checking to see if that's what you have done.

Roderick
07-24-2012, 10:05 AM
If you update your USB 3.0 Driver you afterwards have to renew the Quickload USB Driver.

solves the Problem 100%

Here4Help
07-24-2012, 06:21 PM
If you update your USB 3.0 Driver you afterwards have to renew the Quickload USB Driver.

solves the Problem 100%

What do you mean by "have to renew the quickload USB driver?" Clarifying would be useful.

Roderick
07-25-2012, 03:08 PM
What do you mean by "have to renew the quickload USB driver?" Clarifying would be useful.

quick charge i mean...

Darkpsycho
07-31-2012, 03:05 AM
The firmware was the newest one and I still haven't found a fix for it. And quickload usb driver? I was unaware i had a driver like that.

TSC-Ops
08-02-2012, 07:44 AM
make sure the usb 3.0 service is running first than plug it in

iusb3mon.exe

Clintlgm
08-02-2012, 02:51 PM
I have not found a quckload usb driver?? could you explain this for us? I did find that after updating the Intel USB 3.0 drives to the latest version that I did need to uninstall and reinstall ASUS USB Charger Plus program this solved most of my USB problems. I still have not sorted out the Fact that USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 transfer speeds and nearly the same. But all the connection and staying connected seem to be solved. However I did find that a lot of my USB cables would not work and I even had one brand new USB 3.0 cable that was bad? I still hav issues with USB 2.0 devices not showing up in windows explorer safely remove devices. So that to safely remove them I have to shut down remove them then restart. These particular devices are older USB 2.0 and 1.1 so I'm not really to worried about it all the new USB 3.0 devices and USB 2.0 external hard drives do work as expected Using USB 3.0 Cables, USB thumb drives are working as expected.

nicole@acuite.com
08-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Guys, I have a similar problem in that the USB 3.0 ports (with no USB 2) is causing grief in VMWare. I can't mount any USB device in VMware (even USB 2.0 ) as they are run through the USB 3.0 ports on the G75. The problem is mostly in VMware but there's no solution there yet except a recommendation to try and downgrade one of the G75's USB 3.0 ports to use a USB 2.0 driver. I have tried the top left/bottom left combination for mouse/usb key but with no success (although it did get my hopes up...). I've since tried every combination of left/right ports.

So silly question...is there a way to downgrade just ONE USB 3.0 port to use a USB 2.0 driver without losing my USB 3.0 functionality on the others? I've even tried use a USB 2.0 hub in the hope that would force it stay at 2.0 without affecting drivers.

So much for USB 3.0 being backwards compatible...I want my one USB 2.0 port back to support the random bits of software that can't seem to do 3.0!

Clintlgm
08-08-2012, 03:59 PM
First I'm not up to speed on VMware. What i have found with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, are that you need to up load and install the latest chipset drivers, download and install the latest USB 3.0 drivers from Intel and install, then uninstall Asus USB Charger Plus. and then reinstall it. These three things solved all my problems with USB 3.0 and Using USB 2.0 Hubs and external hard drives. It seems there are some power issues to our USB 3.0 ports that gets solved with these upgrades. and the ASUS USB Charger Plus. USB Thumb drives never had a problem. I now can run USB 3.0 external hard drive and USB 2.0 external hard drives. From any of the ports. And also any usb 2.0 Hub that is powered with these external hard drives. With out any connections problems. Chipset drivers and Installation procedures are here in the forum and the same for the USB 3.0 drivers. Another problem I had going thru the sorting out of problems was I had some defective cables. It seems that these ports are very selective and won't work with any but perfect cables? And then there it the Issue with WD External drives. This is also discussed in this forum elsewhere. The only problem I still have outstanding is slower transfer speeds Using USB 3.0 with my fastest External drive to or from the SATA internal drive is Barley 40 MBS While USB 2.0 is getting 35 MBS with the same file set??? Personal I wish they would have included a eSATA port as I can get 80+ mbs transfers with these drives on my WS. Sorry I haven't included the links to the chipset and USB 3.0 drivers there here and easy to find you won't find them on the ASUS site.

RollinDavar
09-07-2012, 08:17 PM
I have a simalar problem.
THe USB on the left side of MY G75 VW seem to "shut off" after a while. Both of them. Where were your fixes? Where do you get USB firmware? I still have the USB charger app still installed.

rodlab2x
09-26-2012, 07:14 PM
I was having the same problem with the left side usbs on my G55 and western passport se. I turned on the USB Charger Plus and it worked. I'm not sure if using the charger plus will damage the the hard drive. Anyone knows?

dstrakele
09-26-2012, 07:19 PM
I'd be more inclined to think the voltage supplied by the USB ports was too low to support your WD Passport SE. Enabling Ai Charger Plus increased the voltage to the port, allowing the USB drive to function properly.

Clintlgm
09-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Well back in the threads on the WD Passports had a firmware issue that was corrected with an update? I think the main reason for Asus Charger Plus is to enable power to that paticular port for charging with the computer turned off it may well supply more amps to that port also. I have not recently found any problems with external hard drives even older usb 2.0 enclosures work just fine The Vantec super speed enclosures have no problems on any of the ports. The only issues I have with USB 3.0 is that it is not fast, barely faster than USB 2.0. 50% slower than eSATA with the same hard drives. And very fussy about cables and drivers. We don't seem to have any reliable USB 3.0 Hubs available yet. I suspect things will get will get better in the future however it will probably mean different hardware again leaving us hanging with what we have on these notebooks

Clintlgm
09-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Well I wouldn't think so, the voltages are not increased just the Amps, and I think it is only to the forward right port, if I read the manual correctly. From experience the drivers for Asus USB Charger Plus do effect the other drivers for USB in general on the G75. I suspect that power to the other ports are effected. I know if you update to the latest chipset drivers and USB 3.0 drivers, and don't refresh the USB charger plus drivers you will get disconnects from external hard drives USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. USB thumb drives don't seem to be effected. So that makes me think that the problem is power related. Well at least one other person did have problems with a USB 3.0 Thumb drive. I didn't get a USB 3.0 thumb drive until after I sorted out the USB problems on my G75

Yellow44
10-11-2012, 03:05 AM
Well, I have done all of the above and still the same problem, tat on the left side USB connectors only, when attempting a transfer to any drive in my Thermaltake dual drive dock, after a few seconds the drives just disconnect. I have yet to try different cables or any other USB 3 hardware. I'll keep you informed.

I still hav issues with USB 2.0 devices not showing up in windows explorer safely remove devices. So that to safely remove them I have to shut down remove them then restart.

I have experienced this only one time. But when it happens, here is a great utility that allows you to safely disconnect devices from USB connectors.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Take a look at that site.. Lots of great utilities there.

Clintlgm
10-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Well in my experience, I had two brand new USB 3.0 Cables that were defective right out of the box. The disconnects are most likley insuficient power to the device at least you should invistigate from that perspective. on the usb 2.0 devices not showing up in the disconnect. I have noticed that sometimes they show up as another device name.
What i have figgured out to do is just eject from window explorer accomplishes the same thing with out another software program running in the background.

zeitgeist
10-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Guys, I have a similar problem in that the USB 3.0 ports (with no USB 2) is causing grief in VMWare. I can't mount any USB device in VMware (even USB 2.0 ) as they are run through the USB 3.0 ports on the G75. The problem is mostly in VMware but there's no solution there yet except a recommendation to try and downgrade one of the G75's USB 3.0 ports to use a USB 2.0 driver. I have tried the top left/bottom left combination for mouse/usb key but with no success (although it did get my hopes up...). I've since tried every combination of left/right ports.
!

Let me know if you find a solution, it seems like VMWare is dragging their feet on USB support.

Clintlgm
10-22-2012, 10:54 PM
I have been using a Uspeed USB 3.0 hub lately and it seems to supply more power to my external hard drives also testing has shown that transfer speeds are somewhat faster through the hub connected to the Charger plus port. I think the disconnect problems are power related and some are cable related I had a couple of brand new cables that if you touched them they would disconnect and reconnect I replaced them and that problem went away.

Zygomorphic
10-23-2012, 12:23 AM
I have been using a Uspeed USB 3.0 hub lately and it seems to supply more power to my external hard drives also testing has shown that transfer speeds are somewhat faster through the hub connected to the Charger plus port. I think the disconnect problems are power related and some are cable related I had a couple of brand new cables that if you touched them they would disconnect and reconnect I replaced them and that problem went away.

Good to know. I have experienced the same, that the cable on my WD My Passport SE is very sensitive to positioning. USB 3.0 is specced to provide more power than USB 2.0, which can help some HDD's that require more power.

Illbilly
10-25-2012, 02:09 AM
I just recently replaced the hard drive in my g55 with an ssd. I put the original drive in a cheap, off-brand USB3 enclosure i got at Fry's.

My transfer speeds to and from this drive are 120-140 MB/sec using USB3 and FAR lower with USB2.

The fact that your usb2 and 3 speeds are similar, leads me to one of two conclusions.
1) your hard drive is not physically capable of faster transfers.
2) the system is falling back to the usb2 protocol because of bad signal/noise in cable or ports.

Try cleaning the connectors on your cable with alcohol. you may also try cleaning the pins on your computer.
Sometimes dust or oil can collect and interfere with signals.

Zygomorphic
10-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the advice! I have found that the cable is sensitive to orientation, and if you get it just right, it fixes the problem! +1 Rep! :)

Clintlgm
10-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Possibly you are right, however these same drive transfer quite bit faster eSATA. Another thing I have noticed is that smaller file transfer are quite a bit faster USB 3.0 but when you load down the transfer with larger files they slow way down. My unscientific testing was done with a 13 GB transfer the folder I used Contained Adobe CS4 which contained a full 6 GB Zip file of the program and then the expanded Install program. I haven't posted here as this is really not a Asus problem or relevent to this paticular forum. I have posted on Amazon as a review of the Uspeed 4 port USB 3.0 Hub. http://www.amazon.com/Uspeed-Cable-Adapter-Backward-Compatible/product-reviews/B005QWY3PU/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_next_2?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending. I don't know how to directly link my review but this should get you there if your intrested.

Darkpsycho
11-24-2012, 02:12 AM
Hey guys, sorry for not replying. For the most part my HDD has been working but it does randomly disconnect on occasion and I still can't figure out how to fix it and getting it to work permanently, I've updated the firmware and updated the usb3 drivers to no avail

Zygomorphic
11-24-2012, 03:09 AM
USB 3.0 has extra pins which make the cable very sensitive to position :(. If your USB cable is loose, then you are going to have random disconnects. I have a USB 3.0 flash drive that is very tight and it works perfectly. :)

Darkpsycho
11-24-2012, 07:01 AM
The problem is it doesn't even recognize the hdd even when plugged in.

cheek
11-24-2012, 07:52 AM

who can solve this?
on win 8 Pro 64.
the voyager gt 3.0 can only be connected as 2.0
where as the AS2105 ( a usb 3.0 harddrive enclosure) can connect to 3.0. swapped and tested on all ports. result same

charger plus installed / uninstalled same result.

no drivers to update. as windows supplied the generic 'intel USB 3.0 extensible host controller (0100) Microsoft'

tried rolling back to this win 7 driver. cannot install. even tried in compatibility mode. gets "doesnt meet minimum requirement' error.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21129

RobM2
11-24-2012, 01:23 PM
If I plug in my iPhone, or any other USB 2.0 device, first, then my WD drives stay connected. If I plug my WD drive in, first, and it's the only one plugged in, it dis-connects itself after a minute.

So, as a work-around, I just plug my iphone in and charge it up while using the external drive.

Clintlgm
11-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Well what I have found it that these drives will benchmark at 95 MB/s with either USB 3.0 or eSATA, this is about the same as they will bench in a compter. However actual transer speeds of large files drops off pretty much on USB 3.0 25 - 35 MB/s where as on eSATA I can maintain 45 - 60 MB/s. On the G75 I find that as along as I only have no more than 2 ext hard drives hooked up, I don't have any problems with a 3rd device sooner or later one of them will start dropping off. Once that happens nothing works right until I uninstall everything USB and reinstalling it. I pretty much think there are some power issues with the the USB 3 and G75. All this reminds me of back when we first got USB, seems the problems didn't really end until USB 2.0. USB 3 it great faster than 2.0 but not issue free. Also looking around the net its not just us with G75's lots of people are having the same problems with lots of different hardware. Iv'e had USB 3.0 for 2 years now Asus P7P55 Pro MB, I was hoping that with the USB onboard fully intregrated things would improve. For now I miss not having a eSATA port to use for back ups