PDA

View Full Version : BIOS Issue

FurrySilver
07-11-2012, 10:14 PM
I am trying to update my bios, but its telling me I can't due to a mismatch of the bios ram. How do I update my bios?

dstrakele
07-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Stop your attempts to have ASUS Live Update perform the BIOS flash - immediately.

Examine why you wish to update your G74SX BIOS. Are you experiencing any issues that are resolved by a BIOS update? If not, consider holding off for now. BIOS firmware updates are different than software updates in that a problem during installation can render your system unusable - it becomes 'bricked'. See http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/656498-g74sx-circuit-reprogram-bios-spi.html for an informative description of this problem.

If you are experiencing keyboard lag or missed keystrokes, or wish to make keystroke bindings that involve the NumLock key state being ON, a BIOS update may help your G74SX system. I then recommend you follow the instructions in this .PDF document: http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6201&d=1329792574, authored by @BrodyBoy. It discusses how to update to the current BIOS version 203 with the EasyFlash utility accessed from your BIOS.

Be aware that using EasyFlash with the BIOS file on a FAT32-formatted flash drive does not guarantee success, but you have a better chance of success than performing the BIOS Flash from Windows with the BIOS file stored on the NTFS file system.

Cecil_2099
07-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Yes whatever you do DO NOT attempt to update BIOS within Windows!!! Follow the links/guides dstrakele provided above.

Bills86e
07-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Also explain what else you have recently done, and where you want to step to.

Woots
07-12-2012, 02:40 PM
I am trying to update my bios, but its telling me I can't due to a mismatch of the bios ram. How do I update my bios?

That screen shot of the Asus Windows Bios update utility actually made me cringe in horror! :eek:

Noooo .... please don't do it! Your laptop is too young to go out like that!!

Seriously though... I know the sentiment of wanting to go "update happy" on your new toy... but BIOS is one of those things to restrain from.

Only update BIOS if you are having compatibility issues that you know 100% will be fixed by updating BIOS.

Updating system BIOS should never be taken lightly.

On that note the best "modern" way to update bios is download the BIOS rom image to a thumb drive and update BIOS through BIOS itself and point it to the BIOS rom image on the thumb drive (on your usb port)

Usually with hardware this new, unless it's seriously drama ridden hardware, it's best to avoid BIOS updates for a while. Usually people do BIOS updates when they want to upgrade the hardware on the system in a year+ down the road when newer ram/video cards/cpus come out and BIOS isn't playing nice with the new tech.

Here4Help
07-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Please stop what you're doing immediately!!! It's good that it stopped you with an error. So many things would have gone wrong. That tool freaks the hell out of me. You do not want to end up with a bricked machine!

kiba
07-13-2012, 05:58 PM
you got lucky lol, you came closer than you know to bricking your laptop.

dont ever flash bios from windows, and dont flash your bios period unless someone from asus tells you to or to solve a known issue that the bios update fixes. to update bios, format a usb disk to FAT32, put bios update on the disk, and flash from bios w/ easyflash.... vbios flashing is done in a similar way.

do yourself a favor and delete winflash