PDA

View Full Version : G75 not recognizing the 2nd hdd (factory)

rob350
07-12-2012, 02:59 AM
**** Update post #8 ******

Started up my 1 month old G75 today(has the SSD and the 750gb HDD), to find that it does not register the HDD. It does not show up under my computer, and it does not show up under device manager.
Thus all of the programs I had installed onto the 2 partitions of the 750gb HDD do not show up/the short cuts are dead.

I pulled the back off, and I think I can feel it starting up. Tried removing it, blowing it out, putting it back in. Still no luck.

Only thing I can think of is last night I made up the recovery disc then I put disc 1 in to check out that it burned properly.
I let it do the "loading windows files". Next thing it said was "AI RECOVERY" saying "Are you ready to restore this image?" I declined and windows started back up normally as far as I could tell.

Is it possible it had started formatting the HDD and messed up?

If not, I guess asus warranty? I think I have a 1 year through memory express that it comes with as well.

What connection do the HDD's use, I will pick up a external enclosure to try hooking it up to and see if i can get my files back by any chance.

Anything to check within the BIOS?

RecceDG
07-12-2012, 03:06 AM
If you have an external USB drive enclosure, try putting the drive in that and see what happens.

If you don't have an external enclosure, they are cheap and very useful.

DG

Holy
07-12-2012, 04:22 AM
They connect with sata.

rob350
07-12-2012, 04:35 AM
They connect with sata.

Thanks!

So if the drive ends up working in an enclosure, the G75 has a mobo issue?

Cecil_2099
07-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Only thing I can think of is last night I made up the recovery disc then I put disc 1 in to check out that it burned properly.
I let it do the "loading windows files". Next thing it said was "AI RECOVERY" saying "Are you ready to restore this image?" I declined and windows started back up normally as far as I could tell.

Is it possible it had started formatting the HDD and messed up?

As long as you decline and windows starts back up normally then the AI Recovery Discs did not format. You'd know if it formatted and messed up because the system won't boot to windows at all.

Have you tried swapping hard drive bays? If the computer doesn't boot with the SSD in the bay that your HDD is currently, then it's most likely a connector issue in that drive bay.

Shawnnepc
07-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Download : http://www.hdtune.com/ - pro trial.

Install software

Check the drop down on the left, does the other drive show up?

If YES, check the 'Health tab'

or NO

It means one of the following:

The ribbon connector is not attached

The MFT on the drive is corrupt

Hardware failure

rob350
07-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Alright so I tried switching bays.
With just the SSD in(opposite bay from factory) it started up, meaning both bays work.
I then tried putting the HDD in as well (in the opposite bay from factory) and it gave me a boot error, Im assuming the BIOS was trying to load the operating system via the bay that the HDD was then in.

So I picked up a enclosure (USB3.0), and the HDD started up perfectly fine in it.
So im in the middle of copying the files off of it right now to be on the safe side.

Not too sure what to try now. The SSD worked in both bays proving that the bays work. The HDD works in the enclosure but not in the laptop.

WTF!!!!!!! :confused:

Download : http://www.hdtune.com/ - pro trial.

Install software

Check the drop down on the left, does the other drive show up?

If YES, check the 'Health tab'

or NO

It means one of the following:

The ribbon connector is not attached

The MFT on the drive is corrupt

Hardware failure

With the HDD in the laptop, it does not show up in the program.
With the HDD in the USb3.0 enclosure it shows up, under health tab it does not pull up any info. When i select the SSD or my other external drive they both show up a list of info.

rob350
07-14-2012, 02:36 AM
Bump no ideas?