PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G55 - Better Reliability/Build Quality Than G53?

Almost Tactful
07-12-2012, 04:33 PM
So I tried picking up a used G53 and it came in DOA (had a screen switch issue so I'm sending it back), I've also noticed the massive number of problems (power pin, lid magnet, keyboard lights etc) so I'm thinking of just picking up a new G55. So my question is this, is the build quality much MUCH better on the G55 or will it be more of the same?

Also, I read the G55 was supposed to get the GTX 670 in April but haven't seen it happen yet, is it still planned?

Thanks in advance!

Almost Tactful
07-13-2012, 03:56 AM
No one has any input on this?

Kamil
07-13-2012, 04:15 AM
I got my G55 less than two weeks ago, and although it did come with "only" the 660 (670 is available in the G75) I haven't had any of those other problems listed. On the other hand I don't really know what a power pin or lid magnet is so...

There are a few other problems with it, specifically the subwoofer misbehaves, attempting to reproduce the full range of sound (which it can't do well) and sometimes refusing to turn off when external audio devices are used, but that seems to be a driver issue that ASUS is aware of and working on.

Other than that the main issue can be solved in seconds using included software: the very first thing you do with the G55 (or G75) if you get it is REPLACE THE ANTIVIRUS. The included McAfee will randomly decide to make everything you try to do sound like bad dubstep for a second or two; the frequency is variable, sometimes leaving you alone for an hour, sometimes coming only a few seconds apart, but I guarantee if you try to keep it you will lose all sanity quickly (Unless you're deaf or don't ever take your computer off mute, though your visuals will be messed up a little too).

JednaPiroga
07-13-2012, 05:32 AM
I have the G75, and the G53SX, the newer one is alot better buildquality, G75 and G55 are practicly the same.

Only one thing I dont like, the plastic around the screen feels less sturdy on the G75/G55 than the G53. THe G53 had a ruffed feeling to it while the g75/G55 have more of a shiny plastic, although not shiny shiny :)

Almost Tactful
07-13-2012, 05:38 AM
Awesome, thanks for the info :) I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this one...is it a good deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230404

Almost Tactful
07-13-2012, 06:06 AM
actually, due to shipping and tax this one is cheaper and it has 4 more GB of ram and 250GB more HDD space.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855836-REG/ASUS_G55VW_DS71_Republic_of_Gamers_G55VW_DS71.html

Kamil
07-13-2012, 11:05 PM
That seems like a pretty good deal, though I don't know exactly how much shipping and tax is. I bought mine in a store for about that price and it was only 8GB RAM.

Zygomorphic
07-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I got my G55 less than two weeks ago, and although it did come with "only" the 660 (670 is available in the G75) I haven't had any of those other problems listed. On the other hand I don't really know what a power pin or lid magnet is so...

There are a few other problems with it, specifically the subwoofer misbehaves, attempting to reproduce the full range of sound (which it can't do well) and sometimes refusing to turn off when external audio devices are used, but that seems to be a driver issue that ASUS is aware of and working on.

Other than that the main issue can be solved in seconds using included software: the very first thing you do with the G55 (or G75) if you get it is REPLACE THE ANTIVIRUS. The included McAfee will randomly decide to make everything you try to do sound like bad dubstep for a second or two; the frequency is variable, sometimes leaving you alone for an hour, sometimes coming only a few seconds apart, but I guarantee if you try to keep it you will lose all sanity quickly (Unless you're deaf or don't ever take your computer off mute, though your visuals will be messed up a little too).

The power pin is the little metal "pin" in the hole where the power supply plugs in. In some cases, these pins can break off, making the computer unable to turn off. The lid magnet helps to hold the lid closed as well as to detect when the lid is closed so that the computer can turn the screen off. In olden days, there was a little switch near the hinge that did the same thing...back when mechanical latches held the lid shut. :)

Almost Tactful
07-14-2012, 12:15 AM
do the G55's have the power pin issue?

Zygomorphic
07-14-2012, 01:12 AM
do the G55's have the power pin issue?

Not that I know of. The key to avoiding the issue is to be gentle when inserting the power plug. On the G53SX, the plug does not go in all the way, so do not force it. A lot of people push theirs in all the way, which damages the connector.

Almost Tactful
07-14-2012, 06:37 AM
good to know, thanks for the info :)

Velocitydreamer
07-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm considering purchasing a gently used ASUS G53sx for only $550; however, I wasn't sure if I should save up and purchase a G55 since I keep hearing about this power adapter plug breaking... I am VERY gentle with my power cord, and have it plugged in almost all the time (yeah I know, not good for battery, whatever... lol) and I understand that some laptops have their plug sticking out a little naturally. SOOooo... bring ONLY $550, what should I do? I think I've found a g55 for 1100, but I don't have the money yet and would need to save the extra :-/ I do game (mostly on desktop) so the games that are on the laptop would probably mostly consist of stuff like, idk, RTS games, maybe Crysis/Metro for show mostly :P maybe games like Skyrim... not much along the lines of video processing, maybe some music production down the road... I purchase for the long haul. I like the idea of the 55 having ivy bridge... also being slimmer I think? ANYWAYS, if anyone could give me their input, as well as spec diffrerences, that'd be awesome, thanks!

Zygomorphic
07-24-2012, 01:32 AM
At $550, if the previous owner has been careful, then you should definitely jump on it. Just follow my advice about letting the plug stick out a tad (~1/8") if it wants to. If you do so, then you should have no problems whatsoever.

Guitarmaker
07-24-2012, 03:21 AM
If I remember correctly, the power plug on the G53 sticks STRAIGHT OUT from the side, just like the G73. You just have to be aware that it is there and not apply lateral pressure on it. Or get an appropriate supply with a right angle plug. I say 'go for it'!

Almost Tactful
07-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Is the laptop in question on NBR.com?