PDA

View Full Version : G73JH doesn't power up after repaste



stmalk
07-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Hey guys, I used Newb tutorial and BTO video to repaste my GPU and CPU. But I got some trouble after reapsting. Well, I did everything like it was described, checked all cables and stuff, assembled my G73JH and turned it on. Everything worked fine and perfect it started loading Win7 and I decided not to log in, I just turned it off after this and connected it to adapter and monitor and turned on again. Everything was fine it started loading but suddenly after windows logo it just turned off.
Battery diod remained green while it was off. I tried to turn it on several times on battery or connected to adapter as well. It just lighted a keyboard for a second and nothing. After several attempts to turn it on even a green battery light disappeared.
Now it's silent and I don't know what to do, I'm disaasemblying it again, maybe something went wrong. I checked reset button but nothing was in it's way no cables, nothing. I don't know what do you think could happen?

stmalk
07-13-2012, 11:23 PM
And btw I need to clarify something. I use Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. It seeems to be a bit too liquid for me, like a toothpaste, you know. I applied it to both to CPU and GPU putting it as a very thin even layer all over chips. Maybe that's the reason, that I didn't put it in one place and just spreaded it all over?

stmalk
07-14-2012, 12:59 AM
I don't know what's the issue, I reassembled it and it's dead. No battery light, no reaction, it's just dead. Maybe it was shortcuted but I don't really understand why it happend. When I turned it on for the first time it worked (1st time I turned it on on battery and 2nd time I plugged it in and that's it, dead).
It's probably a $1500 piece of garbage now anyway. :(

hnijhar
07-14-2012, 01:56 AM
sorry bout the bad news man.

Arctic Silver 5 is a Conduction TIM, meaning it can conduct eletricity. so it probably overflowed over the sides of the cpu/gpu and short circuited something.
Icd7 on the other hand is NOT conductive, meaning that even applying too much wont make a difference in temps and if it over flows over the sides nothing happesns.
what i recommend u to do: is to quickly dissasemble and check the tim if it overflowed, if so, clean it up or take it to a tech.

stmalk
07-14-2012, 02:13 AM
sorry bout the bad news man.

Arctic Silver 5 is a Conduction TIM, meaning it can conduct eletricity. so it probably overflowed over the sides of the cpu/gpu and short circuited something.
Icd7 on the other hand is NOT conductive, meaning that even applying too much wont make a difference in temps and if it over flows over the sides nothing happesns.
what i recommend u to do: is to quickly dissasemble and check the tim if it overflowed, if so, clean it up or take it to a tech.


I already diassembled it once after it went dead and yes, there was a bit more than enough of compound and it got all around CPU and GPU down in those cracks touching microscheme. I cleaned it as I could even though I could't reach compound that was stuck in cracks between a chip and plastic. I applied it once again, just by small drop, but no result. No battery LED even when it's plugged in.

There's one more thing I forgot to mention. When I assembled it I missed 2 screws. I know I accidentaly messed them up and 2 were missing. The ones for DVD and lid, nothing important. But, I didn't find them anywhere. When my laptop went dead and I disassembled it I found them on the inside of the service panel. They were just magnetized to it so I didn't notice them somehow. What's most important they probably were touching motherboard when the laptop was assembled.
Could they be a reason for a shortcut as well?

It's dead anyway, even with the tim cleaned and reapplied there's no LED, no powering up, nothing.
I guess I should go to NYC service center to run diagnosis to find out what happened and if it can be fixed. I don't know though if they do it with warranty out and seals broken, but anyway.


ps I don't know what kind of genius a manufacturer of AS5 should be to make a thermal compound conductive. It's like producing fire extinguishers with oil inside.

stmalk
07-14-2012, 08:26 AM
I made a conclusion. It's not about thermal compound or CPU or GPU. There's no battery LED and that means there's something wrong with a) motherboard b) battery itself. And that's it, no other options.

I'm not sure what caused this, but it's definitely not a compound overflowing on the chip. 2 missed screws stuck on the inside of the service panel are much more obivious for me. Anyway I'm calling a tech tomorrow and my best wish is that it would just be a battery that went off all of a sudden, lol.

kiba
07-14-2012, 11:19 AM
i have used arctic silver to repaste a freinds g74 and another freinds g73 and i usually apply it generously (not too much though) but i dont think a little extra spilling over would cause a problem like this. its more likely that you forgot to secure one of the ribbons/connectors or pinched it when putting it all back together, the truth is that it could be a million different things and the only way to know for sure is to take it apart again and go over it with a fine tooth comb.

its also possible that the two screws while rattling around in there touched two things together that shouldnt touch and caused a short