PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for partitioning of hard drives

jbunnelle
07-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Hi everyone. I have a massive library of Steam games that I will eventually be loading back on this machine. Right now, I have the default four partition hard drive set-up which I don't really care for. So a couple of questions:

1. Do I have to do a clean install in order to make, say, 2 larger partitions from the 3 outside of the main OS one?

2. How do others have them divided? Just curious.

Thanks!

Jim

xeromist
07-14-2012, 05:26 AM
As long as the 2nd partition on the drive is empty it is not a problem to remove it. You can go to Windows disk management and delete the extra partition, then expand the first partition into the empty space.

HP-X
07-15-2012, 05:49 PM
1. Do I have to do a clean install in order to make, say, 2 larger partitions from the 3 outside of the main OS one?
Depends on how the disk is partitioned right now. The G74 came with 2x 500GB in 3 partitions (iirc). 500 for asus recovery and windows (c: + hidden partition) and the other 500 GB as d:.

I just wiped everything and divided one disk into two partitions c: & d: and then the other disk as e: (yes, I also removed the recovery). You can however use tools such as partition magic in order to resize partitions if you don't want to a clean install.

2. How do others have them divided? Just curious.
This one depends, for windows 7 it depends on if you use pirate or legit version. For the former I did good with 20 GB, but when I switched to legit, disk became more and more scarce due to windows update and the syswow64 folder.

For the moment my setup looks as:
Disk 1: C:\ 128GB & D:\ with the rest ~340GB
Disk 2: E:\ 465GB (everything)