PDA

View Full Version : G75 - Keyboard Lights

Scrodus
07-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Hey all, hoping someone can help out here. Not a major issue, but it's bugging me and I can' track down an answer so far...

I took a few updates from the Asus LiveUpdate utility, and now the keyboard lights (backlit) are off. I have tried manually re-installing the ATK/Utility package but I'm not even certain that its related.

Every so often, they will flash on for a moment then go away again during a game. I have tried adjusting the brightness but that doesn't help. Not exactly sure what is going on but I want to get them back on lol :(

Any help or guidance here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

dstrakele
07-14-2012, 11:39 PM
It sounds like either a) your ATK Package driver that controls the keyboard backlights is corrupt, or b) you have a hardware issue with the cable that supplies power to the backlight LED's, since you report the lights do come on intermittently during games.

I recommend uninstalling your current ATK Package from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", then reboot into Safe Mode and install the latest ATK Package version for your laptop.

If this fails to resolve the issue, I recommend returning your defective laptop to the retailer for a new unit or a complete refund.

Bills86e
07-16-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm just a Green Weed but here is my answer, as I also had KB lights on when I booted up, but once I typed my P/W and hit enter, it booted to desktop and my lights were OUT! WTF

Function key is FN.
F4 key is lights up.

Hold FN and hit F4, each time they get brighter!

Doing same with F3, ............dims lights to off.

I think its supposed to do what you are experiencing, at starting. Later the D/Ls & updates ect.
Mine worked fine at first, then I pluged HDMI in, and lights went out. DK a manual was on the machine.
Now I am fine learning how to ............read my owners manual. PC & paperback. (paperback is too brief)
today is day 2 with my g75.

Let us know if this fixes your problem

Bills86e Green Weed
G75VW-DS72

Scrodus
07-22-2012, 03:52 PM
@ dstrakele: I tried that and thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, still having the same issue.

@ Bills86e: Also, thank you for your suggestion. This was the first thing I tried when I noticed the problem.

I've looked around, but still can't track down an answer for this one :(

dstrakele
07-22-2012, 07:38 PM
It sounds like you've isolated the problem to scenario "b" in my first reply - the hardware issue. Thatt appears more likely since you report the lights sometimes flash on and off during games. Best to toss your current defective laptop back to the retailer to exchange for a new unit.

You could try an F9 ASUS Factory Restore as a last attempt at a software fix, but I think the odds of a successful resolution from it are small. Still, it's a way to wipe the system of your personal files before the exchange. Alternatively, you could use some freeware partioning software that offers DoD disk wipe if you're a little more paranoid... ;>{)>