PDA

View Full Version : intel 6300 issues the first time!!!

440hsp
07-15-2012, 02:24 AM
Guys i know that many people have had many issues with the 6300 card but once i got my card installed ( with the help of you guys on here like brodyboy and dstrakele) and helped with my ssd install and ram install awesome g74 has been fanatastic hands down. I bought a new dual band linksys 4500 router and set it up to have 2 seperate channels in the house. Awesome! The router i did have was a netgear n150 at home and now i bring that offshore with me to connect to whatever wireless system is available out here. I never had any issues connecting with this router before but now out here everyone else can connect to it and i can every once in a while but mostly it just starts to connect and even asks for my password but then never does. I dont understand what the hell is going on. Could someone please chime in and help me out. I need to get the wireless connection up and running so i can complete my paperwork and send it in. Sorry for the long speech here guys but wanted to explain the full situation. Thanks for any help in advance.

dstrakele
07-15-2012, 03:04 AM
Try deleting your current Wireless Network and recreating it. Click on "Start" and in the searchbox enter "manage wireless networks". On the right side of the resulting Dialog, choose "change wireless network order". Right-click on the problem network and choose "Remove" from the popup menu. Then display the available wireless networks by right-clicking on the wireless network icon in the System Tray. Select your Router SSID, enter the correct password and see if you connect. If not, report the exact error text.

440hsp
07-15-2012, 03:25 AM
Thanks dstrakele. Will do and i'll get back to you.

440hsp
07-15-2012, 03:34 AM
Dstrakele now its connecting without a problem. I dont understand. Could it kick me out if too many people are on my router out here and if so how can i keep my computer connected as a priority and everyone else second. If there is a way. The router they use out here is slow and they are being nice letting me connect my router to the main network. I dont want to be an a$#hole and say nobody can use my router when they are being nice to me. If there is a way i would appreciate the help.

440hsp
07-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Dstrakele now its connecting without a problem. I dont understand. Could it kick me out if too many people are on my router out here and if so how can i keep my computer connected as a priority and everyone else second. If there is a way. The router they use out here is slow and they are being nice letting me connect my router to the main network. I dont want to be an a$#hole and say nobody can use my router when they are being nice to me. If there is a way i would appreciate the help.

440hsp
07-15-2012, 04:47 AM
Sorry didnt mean to double reply

dstrakele
07-15-2012, 04:59 AM
You can easily connect to your Router to see how many clients are connected.

You could configure your router with a unique password or only allow specific MAC addresses.

440hsp
07-15-2012, 05:33 AM
Is there anyway you could explain this process. I kind of have to do this incognito. I still want people to be able to use the router but not too many. If nobody else can use it they will tell me to take it down. Lolol i'm just tired of my computer getting kicked off of my router.

dstrakele
07-15-2012, 06:14 AM
I'm gonna hafta hit the sack. In the meantime, you could try and round up a fake mustache, some glasses, and a wig...

440hsp
07-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Lolol. Don't think that's gonna work. Thanks for your help again buddy.

dstrakele
07-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Download your Netgear N150 manual - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.downloads.netgear.com%2Ffiles %2FGDC%2FWN604%2FWN604_UM_14Oct11.pdf&ei=MsoCUMvSDojO2wX1p52WCw&usg=AFQjCNG0NCyPYBP40ywKF0Nw8KhLhziIUA&sig2=7dWZ8DhrrF2Jyv4McXggZA

It will show you how to connect and login to your Router to configure it. In the "Security" section, it discusses how change the network passphrase as well as how to restrict access by MAC address. You can obtain the MAC Address of connected clients from the DHCP section of the configuration menus.

Of course, some of your coworkers may be put off by not being able to connect to your Router (or they may just chalk it up to a technical issue and use the other router). As a nice guy, you may want to try configuring the wireless channel and/or Channel Width to see if either of these settings is causing your connection issues. Try setting the wireless channel to 1 or 11 if it is set to the default "Auto" and confirm Channel Width is set to 20 Hz. The latter setting will allow better wireless connectivity at the expense of transmission speed.

Personally, I don't believe your connection issue is due to too many clients resulting in you being "kicked off" your Router. I think it is a router configuration issue as I've discussed above.

440hsp
07-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Ok dstrakele i have changed the channel on the signal and turned it to 20mhz. Still not working. Now it wont connect again.

dstrakele
07-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Try a different channel to see if connection improves.

Are you seeing any Warnings or Errors in the Windows System Event Log that reference networking?

There is also a cryptic log on your router that would provide info on connection failures.

Did you ever recreate your Windows wireless network?

440hsp
07-16-2012, 06:56 PM
I havent recreated the network. I'm not really sure how to do this. I'm going to try and connect via cat5 to the router and check some things. This is really ticking me off because my coworker is just blazing on my router without issues and he is downloading crap like crazy. And i cant even connect to it other than my phone. CRAP! He is running this old ass 13 inch laptop and here i am with this awesome gaming laptop and cant even connect to my router. Just frustrated. Btw i havent had any signals or errors except for windows telling me it might be a driver issue. I dont have any issues at home at all.

dstrakele
07-16-2012, 07:11 PM
I did offer step-by-step instructions on how to recreate the wireless network from the best recollections of my limited memory. The key thing is once you get to where the order of the various wireless networks are displayed, you right-click on your router's name (SSID), and delete it. Then you display the available networks, and connect to it, just like you would if you were trying to access it for the first time. Easy as pie, is it not?

Your friend on the 13 " laptop created a new wireless network when he accessed your router for the first time in it's new location with new ISP and it's performing swimmingly for him (perhaps a bad choice of words for an offshore environment). I want you to do the same...

Are you showing good signal strength from your router in the wireless System Tray icon on your laptop?

440hsp
07-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Ok removed network. Tried reinstalling network and will not connect. Nobody is even on it right now either. I have full signal strength also. Windows diagnostics says problems found were default gateway not available and problem with wireless adapter. I have turned off the router and hard resetted it also. Now no connection at all.

dstrakele
07-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Can you connect to the other router? If not, then you're starting to isolate the problem to your laptop and its WLAN card.

If you bring up the Properties of your Intel 6300 in Device Manager, does it say the card is functioning properly, or does it report an error?

440hsp
07-17-2012, 02:44 AM
It says working properly. It works awesome at the house. Just dont understand why not out here.