PDA

View Full Version : G73jw RMA

bytor
07-15-2012, 03:17 AM
I have G73jw that will not power up. For the past few days the screen would flicker when the brightness was lowered. And today it shut down and also the power adapter will has no power either. I called ASUS and received a RMA.

I packed the PC extremely well and i consider this machine to be in mint condition except for the current issues. My question is will my PC return in the same condition with the same care in packing? i do not have any experience with returns to ASUS so just curious on any input.

dstrakele
07-15-2012, 04:31 AM
As Forrest Gump once said "An RMA returned from ASUS is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get...". Sometimes, as reported in a thread in this forum, you receive someone else's laptop!

I recommend you PM Mason@ASUS and/or cl-scott on this forum with your RMA info, so they can check everything runs smoothly.

bytor
07-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the advise. I hope all goes good i love this machine..:cool:

bytor
07-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Well I talked with ASUS and here is what happened so far. I was given an RMA and a shipping label. I packed my PC and was about to ship. I then get a e-mail saying they would like to get a hold of me. After talking with them they informed me that i am out of warranty.

I purchased this machine from xoticpc march 6 2011. The guy from ASUS has told me that i have a 1 year warranty. I told him that i have a 1 year accidental spill and drop warranty and a 2 year factory warranty. I told him that it is even shown on ASUS web site here http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G73Jw/#specifications . He agrees that it says that on the web site but his record say that i am out of warranty.

I cannot believe that i paid $1500 for a PC that i never used for gaming. Never tweaked it, I used it for a desktop replacement and now it is completely dead and they will not honor the warranty on there own site.

I based my purchase decision from there web site which then lead me to xoticpc. This is flat out fraud.

I need to know what my next options are.

dstrakele
07-18-2012, 03:00 AM
Your next option is to PM Mason@ASUS and/or cl-scott to see if they can help you.

mundee
07-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Next time you call them. Make sure you get the name of the person you are talking to. Where they are based and what department they work for, Ask them for proof from the system that states when the warranty ran out. If you have your original sales invoice make sure you have that available aswell. If indeed the machine does have a two year warranty then you wont have anything to worry about. Most important things to remember is to not give up. Dont let them fob you off. Demand proof
also as has been said contact Mason@asus

n3tninja
07-18-2012, 08:40 PM
PM Mason@ASUS because he is Jesus.

dstrakele
07-18-2012, 09:38 PM
PM Mason@ASUS because he is Jesus.

Not really... Jesus was good at raising folks from the dead, but recent translations of the Dead Sea Scrolls indicate he failed miserably at RMA issues.

n3tninja
07-18-2012, 10:21 PM
So, who's the new Jesus then :c !

bytor
07-19-2012, 03:33 AM
thanks guys i will give this a try.

Gorman
07-19-2012, 12:00 PM
For some reason ASUS support is extra terrible to G53jw owners. Perhaps they no longer have the facilities/stock to repair or replace these.

bytor
07-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Well,
spoke to Richardo and Raynor from ASUS today. They looked at my invoice and even though they do not see anything that contradicts the ASUS web site, they told me I am out of warranty. I explained to them that I purchased my laptop based on the information from there website that shows a 2 year warranty. They explain to me that in the small print at the bottom of the page it says that specifications can change without notice. This is flat out wrong.

So far my experience with ASUS is this: I find a great laptop and with some grate reviews i go with the G73Jw. 17 months latter it dies with only light use ( i have a dell inspiron 1520 that i beat to death with no problems). I figure well that is not to bad things happen with electronics maybe i have a bad motherboard. I figure i will use my warranty and get it fixed.

Then i go through the nightmare RMA process that is apparently well known. Just do a Google search and you can find pages on the RMA issues. But i still figure that well this is just that department and ASUS is still a good company that stands behind there product. My last bit of faith is to see how Scott or Mason handle this. I hope that this is just some quality control issue and a bug in the possess and that these issues are being dealt with. When my laptop was working it was a great machine.

I hope i am not a "beta tester of a customer" for ASUS. But as of right now i am a ASUS costumer that bought a $1500 laptop from them that died in 17 months of just some light use and i have no support.

Gorman
07-21-2012, 06:05 AM
So ASUS just changed your warranty from 2 years to 1 year? Or do they just claim you bought it 7 months earlier than you did? :S

I think you should contact consumer protection in your country. As you said before, this is clearly fraud.

bytor
07-21-2012, 02:56 PM
What ASUS says is that even tho there web site says 2 year warranty the specifications are subject to change without notice. They also say that based on my serial number it comes back as a 1 year warranty. But they do agree that i did purchase this march of 2011. There is nothing on my invoice or any sticker or anything of any kind that tells me I only have a 1 year warranty.

I have explained to them that i bought my PC based upon the great reviews from this site and others. As well as the specs from the ASUS web site. I have no way to look up serial numbers to tell what my warranty would be before purchase. I have always felt i have a 1 year accidental and a 2 year hardware warranty.

dstrakele
07-21-2012, 05:28 PM
ASUS shipped a hardcopy Warranty card in the box of my G74SX. It discussed the term and details of the warranty on my laptop. Take a look and see if you have one in the hardcopy items sent with your laptop. It will help resolve your issue.

The Warranty 'card' is a 4"x5" booklet with a silver cover and a 1" blue horizontal band. In mine, it states a 2 year Global, 1 year Battery, and 30 day Zero Bright Dot LCD Warranty. Together, these 3 constitute the Limited Warranty. One of the pages was to register the laptop and receive an extra year of Accidental Damage Warranty, which I removed and mailed in to ASUS.

The Limited Warranty states "The terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty constitute the complete and exclusive warranty agreement between you and ASUS for the product and supercede any prior agreement or representations made by any ASUS sales document, literature, or advice that may be provided to the customer by any ASUS representative in connection with the customer's purchase of the product."

More importantly in your case, it also states "No changes to the conditions of this Limited Warranty is valid unless it is made in writing and signed by an authorized ASUS representative.". You have a contract and they must notify you in writing if it has changed. There is NO small print at the bottom of the page stating that specifications can change without notice.

It may be possible that YOUR Warranty card specifies only 1 year Global Warranty, since the terms can vary by model or locality.

chrsplmr
07-21-2012, 06:19 PM
"They explain to me that in the small print at the bottom of the page it says that specifications can change without notice."
Ridiculous.
Specifications 'can change without notice' ........ not after the sale, neither can terms and conditions be.
(How can they change the specs on a machine already sold ? And What does that have to do with 'terms' such as warranty ?.. if the price is lowered do they refund the difference ?)
UnExceptable by any standard.

Excellent advice .. dstrakele .. as usual. HardCopy.
(Contract in stone upon the exchange of money and merch.).c.

bytor
07-21-2012, 08:29 PM
All that came with my PC is a ASUS express gate cloud user manual, ASUS energy star statement, ASUS user manual, and a ASUS 1 year accidental damage registration card. As well as the invoice from xoticpc. I am told that the warranty is linked to my serial number.

I do not believe ASUS made there warranty clear to me at the time of purchase. Why have something on your web site that states a 2 year warranty if it is subject to change?

I feel completely ripped off. A PC that lasted only 17 months with horrible support and lousy customer service. And a warranty system that is unclear and can end up miss leading you. I ask you if you would buy from this company again?

dstrakele
07-22-2012, 12:05 AM
As I said earlier, the registration card that included the year of ADP was part of the Limited Warranty booklet.

Did you call Xotic PC? What did they say? On the xoticpc website, they state in the Warranty terms for ASUS laptops:

" A two year global warranty*: You can receive free service on your notebook at ASUS service centers worldwide for up two years from your date of purchase."

" *Customized components are warranted for 1 year through XOTIC PC (Customized Components are not warranted through ASUS). ASUS provides warranty for the OEM original stock system components for 2 years. Customized laptops will require shipment to XOTIC PC for diagnosis and if necessary, shipment to ASUS for repair. Shipping to and from ASUS will be covered as in ASUS´s warranty policy. Shipping to XOTIC PC for diagnosis is not covered under warranty. Return shipping to the customer for customized systems will be covered by XOTIC PC for US residents only (excludes Alaska & Hawaii)."

Xotic PC should be on YOUR side. They should be pressuring ASUS to honor their Warranty.

bytor
07-22-2012, 02:02 AM
I did contact xotic pc and they sent me a copy of the invoice that does not say anything about my warranty. Every thing i have search so far is the same thing i saw the day i purchased this PC. A 2 year warranty. But ASUS says my serial number shows them a 1 year warranty. If my PC does carry a 1 year warranty this is the first time i have been made aware of this. It was not mention to me that the warranty would be reduced to a 1 year from xotic PC. like i said i was going by the specifications from the ASUS web site and was not informed that if i purchased this PC from xotic PC that it would be reduced to a 1 year.

This is not to mention that it is a 17 month old machine and it is already broken. I appreciate you guys with the advice and i will let you know if mason gives me a hand in this. I already talked with Scott and he said the same thing that the serial number states that it is a 1 year warranty.

I think this could have all been avoided by ASUS building a PC that is not problematic and that there web sit should state that there is a 2 year warranty depending on who you buy it from.

dstrakele
07-22-2012, 02:48 AM
I'd be complaining louder to XOTIC PC if I were in your situation. They took your money and should be helping you get the 2 year warranty service they promise on their website.

I'd like to see one of XOTIC PC's Representatives that frequent this forum reply why they are not helping you with this issue. They do not appear to be acting like a reputable dealer in this case.

bytor
07-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Well great news. I got a PM from Mason and he cleared up my warranty issue. I must admit it was a test of faith. But like you guys said just be polite and patient and see what develops. Off to the RMA she goes.. Thanks so much for the help guys, i really don't think this would have gotten handled without your help so hats off.

bytor
08-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Well i got my g73jw back today. It seems to be working fine. I will know more in a few days. It says that they replaced AC Adapter the audio board, VGA-bd and clean fan. Thanks for everyone who helped me get this straightened out. Other than the warranty hic-up i would have to say my RMA went well. The turn around was fast. And my machine came back in one piece and was well packed. Fingers crossed..:cool: