PDA

View Full Version : g75vw & dual montiors : Dell vs Asus 24"

MUPiSz
07-15-2012, 09:43 AM
any users here have good experience with Dell U2412M or ASUS VE248H with their G75 ?

i decided to go ahead and get dual monitors for the G75 as its been behaving lately. ;-) the two listed above are in my affordable price range.

Zygomorphic
07-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Either should be good, look for the better price or a feature that you want. All things being equal, remember that you are a member of the Republic of Gamers, so you buy like well-behaved members do ;). I have had good experiences will most brands of LCDs, they as a general rule are very reliable...only a handful of manufacturers, of whic Samsung is one. PCs break far more often than monitors.

Hasan
07-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Since you are thinking of dual monitors, you may want to take a look to my thread:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19038-G55VW-Muli-Display-Problem&country=&status=

Hasan
07-16-2012, 05:39 AM
Hello PMMUPiSz,

I would say, if you are going to work with graphic programs, doing paintings or designs, I suggest you go with the Dell U2412M due to two reasons:

1) IPS panel, IPS panel gives you more vivid colors, and stable color temperature from all angles, it was invented by apple and became a monitors standard, Asus monitor probably uses TN panel which is the older technology, but colors could be calibrated to match or become very close to IPS panels, I have bought two models of monitors: one is IPS panel-based monitor (ViewSonic VP2365-LED) and the other one was TN Panel-Based monitor (ViewSonic VX2453mh-LED), I noticed the difference in the color right away, it was so clear that IPS panel were superior to TN panel in the level of Black specially, I took me some time to calibrate the TN panel monitor, but after calibration, its colors become almost Identical to the IPS panel monitor. However, I ended up replacing the TN-panel monitor and to two IPS.

2) stand adjustablity, for me this is important as I work on graphical stuff, Asus monitor only has tilt adjustment, which is very limited!

But if your intention is gaming purpose and to do the eyefinity setup! I suggest you go with Asus VE248H due to the following reasons:

1) 2ms response time, 4x higher than dell monitor.
2) 10 millions maximum contrast, which is 5x higher than dell monitor.

Other thoughts:
- If I were in your place I most probably will go with Dell monitor, even if it has less contrast ratio due to IPS panel, It is very high standard monitor that has earns many awards.
- If dell monitor has 5ms response time, it very sufficient for gaming. but 8ms is kinda slow, I'm not very sure.
- if you are going to use VESTA mounting, you don't have to worry much about Asus being nonadjustable.
- don't expect much from the built-in speakers that come with Asus, usually their quality is not really good.
- one important thing, you may want to conform the coating type compatibility with your room lighting. Dell monitor has anti-glare coating (meta coat), I don't know what type of coating Asus monitor has!
- another important thing to pay an attention to is that your G75VW has 1xHDMI, 1xVGA, and 1xMini-Display prot. I have a problem with connecting my G55VW through VGA port, and another G75VW user also has the same problem, I'm not sure if all G series has the same problem or not, but don't bet on it, you can use HDMI or Mini-Display port. Dell monitor Doesn't has an HDMI, but instead it has a Display Port, you still need an adapter from Mini to Normal Display port, or to DVI-D port. However, Asus monitor has HDMI, DVI-D, and VGA, which is more flexible, but as I mention earlier, don't depend on VGA, so you still need an adapter.

MUPiSz
07-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Hello PMMUPiSz,

I would say, if you are going to work with graphic programs, doing paintings or designs, I suggest you go with the Dell U2412M due to two reasons:

1) IPS panel, IPS panel gives you more vivid colors, and stable color temperature from all angles, it was invented by apple and became a monitors standard, Asus monitor probably uses TN panel which is the older technology, but colors could be calibrated to match or become very close to IPS panels, I have bought two models of monitors: one is IPS panel-based monitor (ViewSonic VP2365-LED) and the other one was TN Panel-Based monitor (ViewSonic VX2453mh-LED), I noticed the difference in the color right away, it was so clear that IPS panel were superior to TN panel in the level of Black specially, I took me some time to calibrate the TN panel monitor, but after calibration, its colors become almost Identical to the IPS panel monitor. However, I ended up replacing the TN-panel monitor and to two IPS.

2) stand adjustablity, for me this is important as I work on graphical stuff, Asus monitor only has tilt adjustment, which is very limited!

But if your intention is gaming purpose and to do the eyefinity setup! I suggest you go with Asus VE248H due to the following reasons:

1) 2ms response time, 4x higher than dell monitor.
2) 10 millions maximum contrast, which is 5x higher than dell monitor.

Other thoughts:
- If I were in your place I most probably will go with Dell monitor, even if it has less contrast ratio due to IPS panel, It is very high standard monitor that has earns many awards.
- If dell monitor has 5ms response time, it very sufficient for gaming. but 8ms is kinda slow, I'm not very sure.
- if you are going to use VESTA mounting, you don't have to worry much about Asus being nonadjustable.
- don't expect much from the built-in speakers that come with Asus, usually their quality is not really good.
- one important thing, you may want to conform the coating type compatibility with your room lighting. Dell monitor has anti-glare coating (meta coat), I don't know what type of coating Asus monitor has!
- another important thing to pay an attention to is that your G75VW has 1xHDMI, 1xVGA, and 1xMini-Display prot. I have a problem with connecting my G55VW through VGA port, and another G75VW user also has the same problem, I'm not sure if all G series has the same problem or not, but don't bet on it, you can use HDMI or Mini-Display port. Dell monitor Doesn't has an HDMI, but instead it has a Display Port, you still need an adapter from Mini to Normal Display port, or to DVI-D port. However, Asus monitor has HDMI, DVI-D, and VGA, which is more flexible, but as I mention earlier, don't depend on VGA, so you still need an adapter.

very insightful. i'm actually not a gamer except for the occasional chess game on one of the linux guests i have running on a server here. i'm leaning strongly towards the Dell with its IPS. you make good points about it. wierd it doesn't ahve a HDMI port, some of the lessor Dell monitors have them. can't have it all with that price.

appreciate the help

MUPiSz
07-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Either should be good, look for the better price or a feature that you want. All things being equal, remember that you are a member of the Republic of Gamers, so you buy like well-behaved members do ;). I have had good experiences will most brands of LCDs, they as a general rule are very reliable...only a handful of manufacturers, of whic Samsung is one. PCs break far more often than monitors.

good points. another poster here narrowed it down a bit as both are fairly about the same.

MUPiSz
07-16-2012, 09:12 AM
hmm, a few hurdles there. did you get the issues worked out? i've glanced i see where mini-display ports can be daisy chained. but i don't know if that puts dual monitors as "stretched" screen or two "discreet" screens.

would something like this product help with the g75vw?

http://www.displaylink.com/shop/hot_products.php#targusdock

Zygomorphic
07-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Those things are OK for basic use...web-browsing, email, etc. They run their own video cards without hardware T&L which means you cannot game on them. If all you want is what I mentioned, they are fine. Otherwise, look into daisy-chaining mini-displayport monitors together. They should act like separate monitors which share the same connector.