PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the gain/ohm on the Phoebus

Estatus
07-15-2012, 08:09 PM
I've been trying to drive my Beyerdynamic DT990 with 600ohm on Phoebus but I'm a bit boggled by the options. There are three so far; one Normal with 0dB, one High with 6dB and then one with Extra High with 12dB for >150ohm. Is this an accurate estimate? I recall my previous STX card, also with an amp to sustain 600ohm, had 18dB on the highest option rather than just 12dB, let alone sounding much clearer.

Raja@ASUS
07-16-2012, 06:24 AM
The level of gain applied at the hardware level depends upon the output voltage from the DAC, so i would not be too concerned that one card reads 18db and another 12db. There is more than enough voltage on the 12db setting to drive just about any dynamic headphone to ear cracking levels.

Crysy134
07-16-2012, 12:20 PM
i also have a question regaining the AMP/Gain Settings.
I use my Phoebus with Ultrasone HFI-780 (35 Ohm) Headphones. When i was playing around with the settings i recognized that with the normal settings i get an kinda "weak" sound, so putting it to 6dB (64 - 150 Ohm) got me some power into it.
Now i wanna ask if this setting can damage my precious Headphones in any way.

Jandenengelsman
07-16-2012, 12:22 PM
I use my Phoebus with Ultrasone HFI-780 (35 Ohm) Headphones. When i was playing around with the settings i recognized that with the normal settings i get an kinda "weak" sound, so putting it to 6dB (64 - 150 Ohm) got me some power into it.

I can recomment you to read the thread 'Headphone Gain Setting Question' most of your questions will be answered..

Raja@ASUS
07-16-2012, 06:32 PM

No it won't if your headphones need the voltage. The gain setting in itself does not reflect the absolute volume that different headphones will play at. The actual volume depends upon the sensitivity of your headphones. That is, how many dBs of volume you get per V (or mv). So, if you find the default setting "too quiet", by all means use the next gain step. Just because the impedance of headphones between two vendors is the same, it does not mean the sensitivity is the same.

Estatus
07-17-2012, 11:05 AM
The level of gain applied at the hardware level depends upon the output voltage from the DAC, so i would not be too concerned that one card reads 18db and another 12db. There is more than enough voltage on the 12db setting to drive just about any dynamic headphone to ear cracking levels.

I understand, thanks for the response.