PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Too Supreme
07-16-2012, 02:21 AM
Is it worth buying the Asus G75 recovery and utitlity disc from Asus's estore website for 50 bucks?

TSC-Ops
07-16-2012, 02:28 AM
NO!, if you are going to waste 50 bucks go buy a real win 7 disc. and just download the drivers from the website

dstrakele
07-16-2012, 02:37 AM
I say no. You can freely download a legitimate Windows 7 .ISO file that matches the Windows version shipped with your laptop, burn it to a DVD, install it to your laptop, install the ASUS ATK Package and several other device drivers, then activate the Windows 7 installation with the Product Key on the label on the bottom of your laptop.

Guitarmaker
07-16-2012, 03:43 AM
No, you can download any version of Windows 7 SP1, legally and free, from:

softgil.com/archives/554

You will need the product key from the bottom of your pc to activate, so you need to download the correct iso file.

There is a thread for downloading the G75 drivers and utilities by Cecil_2099 under 'Important and useful threads'.

Too Supreme
07-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks and did u get ur asus with accidental protection from bestbuy

Cecil_2099
07-16-2012, 05:13 AM
As long as you didn't remove the recovery partition from the hard drive that came with your laptop, there is no reason to buy the disc from ASUS. Save your money and use the AI Recovery utility to burn yourself a set of recovery DVDs (after you update it to the latest version of course). Whether you use it is up to you, but it's always good to have that option just in case.

I bought mine from Best Buy and did not get the accidental protection or extended warranties. I'm very careful with my equipment and because of the weight and bulk, the G75 is more of a desktop replacement more than a mobile platform for me.

Too Supreme
07-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Ok thanks and ya im careful 2 so i didnt get it to

Bills86e
07-16-2012, 02:16 PM
CECIL,

Do you have to burn to a DVD(s) to use the A! Recovery, I want to burn to my 256GB 2.0 USB Thumbdrive.

Is this POSSABLE? Also, If I install my 2010 Office Profession, will that be burned along with any other
program prior to A1 Recovery to USB? Seems like 40GB's will be on my OS SSD drive, so I'd like
to just use my 64GB 2.0 USB thumbdrive (stick memory). I have a 256GB SSD with a partition and a 750GB
Sata HHD, also partitioned in 1/2.

Bills86e
The Green Weed
G75VW-DS72
LG 55LX6500
G75 now 3 days old

Cecil_2099
07-16-2012, 03:28 PM
CECIL,

Do you have to burn to a DVD(s) to use the A! Recovery, I want to burn to my 256GB 2.0 USB Thumbdrive.

Is this POSSABLE? Also, If I install my 2010 Office Profession, will that be burned along with any other
program prior to A1 Recovery to USB? Seems like 40GB's will be on my OS SSD drive, so I'd like
to just use my 64GB 2.0 USB thumbdrive (stick memory). I have a 256GB SSD with a partition and a 750GB
Sata HHD, also partitioned in 1/2.

The AI Recovery tool burns the image to either a DVD, a BluRay Disc, or it can prepare a DVD ISO for burning later. You *might* be able to edit and merge the ISOs to have them on the thumb drive but I haven't done that before.

If you install 2010 Office Professional, that will NOT be burned with other programs you install after turning on your laptop for the first time when using the AI Recovery tool. The AI Recovery tool just copies the hidden recovery partition to DVD. If you want to back up your system with everything, then use Windows' System Backup program.

Hope that helps.